Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 274804 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #2175 on: November 07, 2021, 03:09:59 PM »

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11780.0

I did make a tool for this (it says 1.12 but it still works fine).

Nice, i'll give it a try with my next campaign. Still does not mean we can't ask for it to be integrated into the game.

Concur I would prefer it be in the base game and hope that my tool here will justify it as a fairly safe and good feature to add

Offline Velociranga

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2176 on: November 10, 2021, 11:47:54 PM »
I hope this hasn't been brought up before but I have a suggestion around the supply ship toggle.

As per my current understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) for a ship to supply another ship it needs to have both the supply ship box check and at least one cargo shuttle.

However a ship with the supply ship box ticked can not be supplied by another supply ship, it must take MSP from a colony.

This isn't a huge deal for mobile supply ships as it fits there role.  However it currently makes space stations unusable as forward operation bases as far as supply goes.  The station can either dole out supplies or receive them but not both.  I believe this is due to the way supply is handled by aurora and I understand it might be a bit difficult to fix.  But perhaps changing the way supply works for space stations/orbital habitats, that way its possible to create FOB's away from planets.  Without affecting how mobile supply ships currently function.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2177 on: November 12, 2021, 12:29:36 AM »
I hope this hasn't been brought up before but I have a suggestion around the supply ship toggle.

As per my current understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) for a ship to supply another ship it needs to have both the supply ship box check and at least one cargo shuttle.

However a ship with the supply ship box ticked can not be supplied by another supply ship, it must take MSP from a colony.

This isn't a huge deal for mobile supply ships as it fits there role.  However it currently makes space stations unusable as forward operation bases as far as supply goes.  The station can either dole out supplies or receive them but not both.  I believe this is due to the way supply is handled by aurora and I understand it might be a bit difficult to fix.  But perhaps changing the way supply works for space stations/orbital habitats, that way its possible to create FOB's away from planets.  Without affecting how mobile supply ships currently function.

It is not ideal, but you can resupply Forward Operating stations from supply ships. Have the supply ship rendezvous with the station, do no merge the fleets. Then give the fleet with the Station the movement order to "Resupply from stationary Supply Ship". It might take a few tries, but it does work. Both Station and Ship are set to "Resupply Own Fleet" incase that makes any difference.

Offline somebody1212

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2178 on: November 13, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
Consistency in displaying the number of shots that a weapon fires for Gauss, Railguns and Turrets.

Currently:
Gauss indicates the number of shots they fire next to the RoF:
Damage Output 1      Rate of Fire 6 / 5s     Range Modifier 60 000
Max Range 60 000 km     Size 1 HS  (50 tons)    HTK 1

Railguns indicate the number of shots they fire next to the damage:
Damage Per Shot (4) 16     Rate of Fire 25 seconds     Range Modifier 80 000
Max Range 1 280 000 km     Railgun Size 13.0 HS  (650 tons)    Railgun HTK 6
Power Requirement 48    Recharge Rate 10

Turrets do neither, and since the rate of fire isn't stated in the default Gauss naming scheme this has been catching a lot of newer players out:
Damage Output 1    Rate of Fire 5 seconds     Range Modifier 60 000
Max Range 60 000 km     Turret Size 4.26 HS  (213 tons)     HTK 4

This has come up quite a few times on the Discord, usually from people who have just upgraded their Gauss rate of fire, designed a new turret and are confused as to why they appear to have two copies of the same module, since they can't see the rate of fire until they add the turrets to their ship and if the names have been left at the defaults the two turrets both have the same name.
Aurora4x Discord: https://discord.gg/TXK6qcP

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Vandermeer, serger, Pury, Sebmono

Offline Velociranga

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2179 on: November 15, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
Quote from: ArcWolf link=topic=10640. msg156721#msg156721 date=1636698576
Quote from: Velociranga link=topic=10640. msg156697#msg156697 date=1636609674

This isn't a huge deal for mobile supply ships as it fits there role.   However it currently makes space stations unusable as forward operation bases as far as supply goes.   The station can either dole out supplies or receive them but not both.   I believe this is due to the way supply is handled by aurora and I understand it might be a bit difficult to fix.   But perhaps changing the way supply works for space stations/orbital habitats, that way its possible to create FOB's away from planets.   Without affecting how mobile supply ships currently function.

It is not ideal, but you can resupply Forward Operating stations from supply ships.  Have the supply ship rendezvous with the station, do no merge the fleets.  Then give the fleet with the Station the movement order to "Resupply from stationary Supply Ship".  It might take a few tries, but it does work.  Both Station and Ship are set to "Resupply Own Fleet" incase that makes any difference.

I'll give that a try but I was sure even doing it that way it didn't resupply.  I tried a couple of different ways to reduce the micromanagement but trying to get the different fleets orders to line up with travel and resupply time made my head hurt.  Either way I feel like we really need a way to initiate the resupply from the supply ship side without joining the fleet you want it to resupply. 

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2180 on: November 16, 2021, 05:29:33 AM »
Quote from: ArcWolf link=topic=10640. msg156721#msg156721 date=1636698576
Quote from: Velociranga link=topic=10640. msg156697#msg156697 date=1636609674

This isn't a huge deal for mobile supply ships as it fits there role.   However it currently makes space stations unusable as forward operation bases as far as supply goes.   The station can either dole out supplies or receive them but not both.   I believe this is due to the way supply is handled by aurora and I understand it might be a bit difficult to fix.   But perhaps changing the way supply works for space stations/orbital habitats, that way its possible to create FOB's away from planets.   Without affecting how mobile supply ships currently function.

It is not ideal, but you can resupply Forward Operating stations from supply ships.  Have the supply ship rendezvous with the station, do no merge the fleets.  Then give the fleet with the Station the movement order to "Resupply from stationary Supply Ship".  It might take a few tries, but it does work.  Both Station and Ship are set to "Resupply Own Fleet" incase that makes any difference.

I'll give that a try but I was sure even doing it that way it didn't resupply.  I tried a couple of different ways to reduce the micromanagement but trying to get the different fleets orders to line up with travel and resupply time made my head hurt.  Either way I feel like we really need a way to initiate the resupply from the supply ship side without joining the fleet you want it to resupply.

What I currently do is move the resupply ship to the space station, then get the space station to resupply from the ship. So it's possible to do but without a transfer supplies option for the resupply ship it can't currently be automated unless I'm missing something.

Is there anyway to fill up fuel and maintenance on a planet to a stockpile like minerals? This would also allow the automation of logistics for these to colonies.

Offline Velociranga

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2181 on: November 17, 2021, 06:53:30 PM »
Quote from: Impassive link=topic=10640. msg156809#msg156809 date=1637062173
Quote from: Velociranga link=topic=10640. msg156804#msg156804 date=1637024194
Quote from: ArcWolf link=topic=10640.  msg156721#msg156721 date=1636698576
Quote from: Velociranga link=topic=10640.  msg156697#msg156697 date=1636609674

This isn't a huge deal for mobile supply ships as it fits there role.    However it currently makes space stations unusable as forward operation bases as far as supply goes.    The station can either dole out supplies or receive them but not both.    I believe this is due to the way supply is handled by aurora and I understand it might be a bit difficult to fix.    But perhaps changing the way supply works for space stations/orbital habitats, that way its possible to create FOB's away from planets.    Without affecting how mobile supply ships currently function. 

It is not ideal, but you can resupply Forward Operating stations from supply ships.   Have the supply ship rendezvous with the station, do no merge the fleets.   Then give the fleet with the Station the movement order to "Resupply from stationary Supply Ship".   It might take a few tries, but it does work.   Both Station and Ship are set to "Resupply Own Fleet" incase that makes any difference. 

I'll give that a try but I was sure even doing it that way it didn't resupply.   I tried a couple of different ways to reduce the micromanagement but trying to get the different fleets orders to line up with travel and resupply time made my head hurt.   Either way I feel like we really need a way to initiate the resupply from the supply ship side without joining the fleet you want it to resupply. 

What I currently do is move the resupply ship to the space station, then get the space station to resupply from the ship.  So it's possible to do but without a transfer supplies option for the resupply ship it can't currently be automated unless I'm missing something. 

Is there anyway to fill up fuel and maintenance on a planet to a stockpile like minerals? This would also allow the automation of logistics for these to colonies.

I can confirm that this works, the supply ship just has to be outside the fleet with the supply ship you are trying to resupply.  And it is theoretically possible to automate it.  You would just have to calculate the time to resupply the fleet and travel time for the supply ship and have the resupply from stationary supply ship order delayed by that time.  However having tried to do this the math was hurting my brain.

I'm not sure on the stockpile for fuel and supplies.  Honestly if we just get an order to resupply a target fleet with a fleet that will keep me happy.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, Impassive

Offline pwhk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #2182 on: November 18, 2021, 05:40:47 AM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but...
The "Unload Survivors" order should be available on a fleet after making a "Rescue Survivor" order. It does not show up currently and we need to wait for the ship to have actually rescued the survivors before able to make the unload order.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, Sebmono

Offline pwhk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #2183 on: November 18, 2021, 05:44:01 AM »
Another suggestion, double click on "Events" window goes to where it happens on the main screen. However, this does not apply when clicking on events happening on other races, which can be seen with SM option "Show All Races" on. Would be nice if it does, changing the active race.

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2184 on: November 18, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »
I would like to have some form of special forces operations groups that we could use for special missions to planets, such as acting as FOB or to locate and help taking out ground to orbit batteries, perhaps by making it easier to hit them with ships in orbit.

I'm sure we could find other interesting things for special forces to do on a planets surface during conflicts. We probably could also insert them during peace time as well and activate them if there is a conflict, in the mean time they simply perform Intel operations.

There obviously should be some way to combat special forces, perhaps your own special forces... there also could be stealth technologies available to help these forces stay hidden and provide Intel on potential enemies.

Special forces are extremely important in the modern battle-space, I would say even more important than regular forces in many regards as intelligence and as a force multiplier for indirect weapons and air support is very effective against conventional forces.

At least I would like to see some expanding on the concept of special forces in Aurora.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:23:42 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, serger, Peroox, Sebmono

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2185 on: November 18, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
Currently in SM mode, in the System Gen & Display we can add a "Random Ruin" to a planet/body. It would be nice if there were an additional button for "Specify Ruin" which would bring up a drop-down where we can select the type of ruin/construct & % bonus. This would make setting up stories/events less tedious.

So 2 buttons, 'Random Ruin", because sometimes you just want it to be random, and "Specify Ruin".

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Abridal

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #2186 on: November 20, 2021, 02:45:52 AM »
Add a "No Armour" Type in Unit Class Design. Probably should be exclusive for infantry.

Reduces unit cost by half of the default cost, thus where for a example a PWL with light infantry armor would cost 0.06 per unit an authentic imperial guard(TM) would cost only 0.03, with of course 0 Armour regardless of Tech Level. Maybe the cost reduction should be even bigger than 50% to make it something that can be seriously considered as a strategic option.

In addition to becoming standard issue for forces the image above depicts accurately, it also would be choice for genetically engineered berserkers.

The following users thanked this post: Blogaugis

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2187 on: November 20, 2021, 02:51:17 AM »
Add a "No Armour" Type in Unit Class Design. Probably should be exclusive for infantry.

Reduces unit cost by half of the default cost, thus where for a example a PWL with light infantry armor would cost 0.06 per unit an authentic imperial guard(TM) would cost only 0.03, with of course 0 Armour regardless of Tech Level. Maybe the cost reduction should be even bigger than 50% to make it something that can be seriously considered as a strategic option.

In addition to becoming standard issue for forces the image above depicts accurately, it also would be choice for genetically engineered berserkers.
Hilarious, but...
Hm... Considering that pirates are in plans, how about technicals - vehicles that are basically shopping carts from Walmart with an engine and a 50Cal?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2188 on: November 20, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
While we are talking about ground combat... I would propose to remove the Logostics module from Infantry or do some mechanic where you must have them and then make vehicle supply modules more efficient than infantry supply units.

Currently there is NO reason to ever use vehicle based supply units as Infantry ones are cheaper. You just use the reserve mechanic to replace the infantry ones when they are consumed or destroyed. They are way more efficient and thus cheap to use than vehicle supply units. I always ban the use of infantry based supply units in my games unless they fit the theme such as a special forces unit meant to operate independently or something.

You should be able to use zero armor for vehicles as well, but that might need some consideration for balancing cost of certain units such as construction, supply etc... In general I think the armour perhaps should not be zero but half probably are more realistic, even Imperial Guards in 40k have flak armour which are similar to modern body armour.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:21:52 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2189 on: November 20, 2021, 09:46:32 AM »

It is difficult to overstate how tremendously OP this would be. Base ARM 1 on infantry is already usually ineffective unless you out-tech the enemy, as no weapon except for PWL has less than 1.0 penetration, so making infantry even cheaper by giving them "no armor" would make what are already a very efficient class of units incredibly dominant just due to how cheap and spammable they will be.

It is better to understand that ARM 1 is the base army uniform which gives whatever minimal armor level is appropriate for your setting, and go from there.

While we are talking about ground combat... I would propose to remove the Logostics module from Infantry or do some mechanic where you must have them and then make vehicle supply modules more efficient than infantry supply units.

Currently there is NO reason to ever use vehicle based supply units as Infantry ones are cheaper. You just use the reserve mechanic to replace the infantry ones when they are consumed or destroyed. They are way more efficient and thus cheap to use than vehicle supply units. I always ban the use of infantry based supply units in my games unless they fit the theme such as a special forces unit meant to operate independently or something.

I have found a good balance by modding the DB so that the large LOG component provides 1000 GSP (instead of 500) and restricting it only to LVH.

As it stands in the vanilla settings, there is never any reason for infantry to use the 50-ton module over the 10-ton module - they provide the same GSP per ton or per BP, but the smaller module allows more individual units and thus is more resilient to enemy fire. Thus, removing the INF+LOG (leaving only INF+LOG-S unit from the game is no loss at all. Doing this allows increasing the value of the large LOG component without upsetting the balance of infantry logistics.

This makes the LVH+LOG a tonnage-efficient way of deploying supplies (62 tons per 1,000 versus 100 tons for infantry logistics), but still only 80% as cost-efficient as infantry logistics (2.48 BP per 1,000 versus 2.0 BP for 10x infantry logistics units), so that there is an interesting and useful tradeoff between the two unit types. With this change I usually have a practice of using INF logistics for organic supply of frontline or other combat formations (e.g., artillery) and LVH logistics in rear-echelon HQs for resupply. Both have their advantages and disadvantages which IMO is how it should be - and was prior to 1.12 albeit in a rather contrived way.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian