Author Topic: System Requirements  (Read 14504 times)

Offline sausage

• Petty Officer
  • s
Re: System Requirements
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
There are two functions in Aurora called ShowMinerals. One on the System View (F9) window that shows the minerals for a specific system body. The other is for the system map (F3) and shows the system minerals in a treeview control on the sidebar.

System view won't open: Error 713 MSSTDFMT.DLL not installed. I can fix that in a little bit

the minerals in the sidebar show up just fine.

EDIT: bah. putting MSSTDFMT.DLL in the system folder didnt change anything

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
Quote from: "sausage"
There are two functions in Aurora called ShowMinerals. One on the System View (F9) window that shows the minerals for a specific system body. The other is for the system map (F3) and shows the system minerals in a treeview control on the sidebar.

System view won't open: Error 713 MSSTDFMT.DLL not installed. I can fix that in a little bit

the minerals in the sidebar show up just fine.

EDIT: bah. putting MSSTDFMT.DLL in the system folder didnt change anything

This thread covers the missing DLL viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1715 if you are using Win7. Steve's installer/compiler doesn't seem to include it when he creates a new exe.

Offline sausage

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
This thread covers the missing DLL viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1715 if you are using Win7. Steve's installer/compiler doesn't seem to include it when he creates a new exe.

Yes, but that's for Win7, we are talking about linux here.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »
I run Aurora through wine and yes, just grab a copy of the .DLL file and stick it in your .wine\drive_c\Program Files\Aurora directory.

And yes, Aurora runs perfectly under wine except for the Type 13 mismatch error in Show_Minerals.  Which means the the (F9) 'System Information' window is non-functional, and the game is essentially unplayable.  If I knew more about wine or VB6 I'd write up a proper bug report.

Incidentally, the (F9) 'System Information' window works fine if you have no mineral surveys done (as Show_Minerals is not called) - which is only the case when setting up a new game.

P.S.:  Running Aurora under wine is covered (at least somewhat) in this thread:  viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1965

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 07:48:23 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
I run Aurora through wine and yes, just grab a copy of the .DLL file and stick it in your .wine\drive_c\Program Files\Aurora directory.

And yes, Aurora runs perfectly under wine except for the Type 13 mismatch error in Show_Minerals.  Which means the the (F9) 'System Information' window is non-functional, and the game is essentially unplayable.  If I knew more about wine or VB6 I'd write up a proper bug report.

Incidentally, the (F9) 'System Information' window works fine if you have no mineral surveys done (as Show_Minerals is not called) - which is only the case when setting up a new game.

P.S.:  Running Aurora under wine is covered (at least somewhat) in this thread:  viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1965
I have looked at this in more detail and the only time the ShowMinerals function runs on the F9 window is if you try to manually change the mineral amounts for a particular planet. Can I just confirm again that this bug appears on the F9 System View window and not the F3 System Map window? In any event, I have added a menu option to the main menu for your to disable the ShowMinerals function so the bug can't happen. This means you won't be able to see the mineral amounts for a particular planet in the specify minerals section when you choose the Specify Minerals option but you will still be able to set new amounts (using some other mineral view for the same planet as your guide)

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
I thoroughly tested every window in v4.91, and encountered the Type 13 mismatch in Show_Minerals in the (F9) 'System Information' window in existing games, and after clicking the 'All SB surveyed' button in a new game.  Also in the 'Geological Survey Results' window (whether by the 'Geo Status' button on the (F2) Population & Production screen, or the button on the F3 'System Map' window).

Opening the (F3) 'System Map' throws an "Error in Show Minerals: Run-time Error '13' - Type mismatch" if the option to show mineral survey results is checked.

Strangely, the  (Ctrl-F7) 'Technology Report' window generates "Error in PopulateActive: Run-time Error '13' - Type Mismatch" as well.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
I thoroughly tested every window in v4.91, and encountered the Type 13 mismatch in Show_Minerals in the (F9) 'System Information' window in existing games, and after clicking the 'All SB surveyed' button in a new game.  Also in the 'Geological Survey Results' window (whether by the 'Geo Status' button on the (F2) Population & Production screen, or the button on the F3 'System Map' window).

Opening the (F3) 'System Map' throws an "Error in Show Minerals: Run-time Error '13' - Type mismatch" if the option to show mineral survey results is checked.

Strangely, the  (Ctrl-F7) 'Technology Report' window generates "Error in PopulateActive: Run-time Error '13' - Type Mismatch" as well.
I have been through the functions involved and I can't find anything that is both common across those functions and doesn't occur anywhere else. I have been doing some searches on the net and it seems that Wine does have problems with type mismatch errors in VB6 programs that run perfectly well in Windows. I haven't been able to pin down the cause of the problem yet though.

Steve

Offline faiuwle

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Hi, my desktop is 1680x1050 but the windows are still not displaying all the way.  I can see the bottoms of the windows just fine (though sometimes I have to move the taskbar to the side of the screen), but the windows just stop after a certain point.  For example, here is the bottom left of the Class Design window, which the tutorial says should have some buttons:

In other windows, the bottom widgets look clipped on the bottom kind of like the Material Required text area in the picture.  It can't be enlarged by dragging it, either.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »
Quote from: "faiuwle"
Hi, my desktop is 1680x1050 but the windows are still not displaying all the way.  I can see the bottoms of the windows just fine (though sometimes I have to move the taskbar to the side of the screen), but the windows just stop after a certain point.  For example, here is the bottom left of the Class Design window, which the tutorial says should have some buttons:
Are you using large fonts?

Steve

Offline faiuwle

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »
Looking at the settings, it looks like it is using Trebuchet MS size 10 for the title bars and Tahoma size 8 for everything else.  Is that too big for Aurora?  Alternatively, is there a way to change the fonts used by Aurora without changing the fonts used by default for all applications?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
Quote from: "faiuwle"
Looking at the settings, it looks like it is using Trebuchet MS size 10 for the title bars and Tahoma size 8 for everything else.  Is that too big for Aurora?  Alternatively, is there a way to change the fonts used by Aurora without changing the fonts used by default for all applications?
Large fonts in windows means the actual text takes up more room. It doesn't change the font size. Not sure which version of windows you are using but it will be somewhere in your display settings. 96 dpi is the normal setting. There must be something out of the ordinary as 1600x1050 should be fine.

Steve

Offline faiuwle

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
Well, I reduced the window title font down to size 8, and everything else to size 7, and although it looks less clipped there are still no buttons at the bottom of that window.  I notice there is a setting for "large fonts" in the general part of that settings display, but it is not enabled.  I am running Windows XP (although I think I am still on SP 2 rather than SP 3, if that matters) and I have not changed the default OS fonts, except once (after which I reset it to default).  Also, it seems that nothing I do in that display window actually changes the size of the fonts in Aurora that are not in the title bar - all of the text in the main window is still the same size.  If there's some other esoteric MS thing I have to do to change it, I don't know what it might be.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17:26 AM »
If you are running xp then you have an option to enable resolutions that the monitor does not support.

Right click on the background wallpaper.  Select Properties.  Select Advanced, Select Monitor.  There should be a check box saying enable resolutions not supported...  Click on this and then enable.  Go back to the properties and where the resolution is you should see a bunch more options now.  click on the one for 1280x1024 and then apply.

What will happen is that the screen is now scrollable with moving the mouse to the edge of your screen moving what is displayed so you can see things that would not normally be available on your size monitor.

Brian

Offline faiuwle

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
Brian, my screen size is already bigger than 1280x1024, and the problem is not that the window doesn't fit on the monitor but that the window itself is not actually displaying all of its widgets, possibly because whatever font it is using is too big.  I suppose I can go look for the option to make it even bigger when I'm on it again, but I don't think that will help.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
Is it drawing the window at the bottom of the screen? so that the missing part would scroll of the edge of the screen if it was drawn in? and does it take up the whole screen (does it look like it wouldnt fit on the screen if it added the bottom of the window)?

If the first answer is yes and the second is no, have you tried the reset window locations in Aurora?  and then restart Aurora?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.