Other Games > Beyond the Stars!

Map Style

(1/3) > >>

Þórgrímr:
With the new Stellar Coordinate System BTS! can use one of two methods, Hex, and Cartesian. Attached are examples of both map styles. I will be using Cosmographer 3 to create the 'historical' Canon BTS! Maps. These two maps were also made with Cos 3.

One note, the Cartesian Map is using parsecs instead of LY. The official maps will be using LY.

Please vote for the map you like best. If you have any comments, please share them with us. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Erik L:
I didn't vote but my thoughts :)

The hex map is very much like the Traveller maps. Not bad if what you are going for. The other map might be better off without the grid overlay.

Þórgrímr:

--- Quote from: Erik Luken on February 05, 2013, 09:57:25 PM ---I didn't vote but my thoughts :)

The hex map is very much like the Traveller maps. Not bad if what you are going for. The other map might be better off without the grid overlay.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, not much you can do with a hex map that does not remind a person of Traveller.

As for the Cartesian map, the grid lines, in that map designate 1 parsec, and delineate Galactic North, Galactic South, Spinward (East), and Anti-Spinward (West).

In the Canon Maps they will designate 1 square LY. They also help to give a planar distance on the XY Axis. So they will probably stay.

Thanks for your input Erik.  :)

Cheers, Thor

Felan:
The main advantage for hex over grid is if each hex or grid is counted as movement.   With a grid diagonal moves cover a lot more ground than straight moves, with hex the distance moving from one hex to the next is always the same.   

Þórgrímr:

--- Quote from: Felan on February 06, 2013, 01:01:35 PM ---The main advantage for hex over grid is if each hex or grid is counted as movement.   With a grid diagonal moves cover a lot more ground than straight moves, with hex the distance moving from one hex to the next is always the same.   

--- End quote ---

Felan, you are quite correct in that statement. However, with the new stellar coordinate rules a hex grid will distort the XY Axis, and we will be tracking actual X-Y-Z coordinates. So accurate positioning is, somewhat, important. Also, the grid on the Cartesian map has no bearing, what-so-ever, on actual movement ability. It is just a reference grid, for a player to estimate distance on the XY Axis.  :)

Felan, thank you for your input, it is most helpful.  :)

Cheers, Thor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version