Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 345098 times)

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #1425 on: September 29, 2019, 04:44:02 AM »
I always play Aurora starting in another system, not sol. It is much more easier to roleplay for me that way. But it's such a chore to creat a suitable starting system.
Can we have an option to start in a non-sol system? Game can just generate and destroy systems until it finds a suitable one in the same way as we had to do it manually in SM mode?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1426 on: September 29, 2019, 05:27:57 AM »
I always play Aurora starting in another system, not sol. It is much more easier to roleplay for me that way. But it's such a chore to creat a suitable starting system.
Can we have an option to start in a non-sol system? Game can just generate and destroy systems until it finds a suitable one in the same way as we had to do it manually in SM mode?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have this, but I've never needed to generate more than two (EDIT: that's a lie, I've had starless nexi three times in a row) systems to get a homeworld.

--  Grab a body (planet, gas giant moon, super-asteroid, etc.) of acceptable gravity
  --  SM remove all atmosphere and add nitrogen-[oxygen/methane]
  --    --  (and if you care about temperature, greenhouse or anti-greenhouse gas) to taste.
  --  Done.

If you want a Human empire, you grab the body closest to 1.0 gravity and SM the atmosphere to 0.23 Oxy, 0.78 Nitro, and however much GG or AGG needed.  Otherwise Aurora will create a custom, 'native' species perfectly suited to your world.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1427 on: September 30, 2019, 03:23:39 AM »
At the moment making part of your empire independent is quite a hazzle; if it works at all. Have you spend some thought on making it easier to split of fractions of your empire? Maybe some kind of SM dialog where you can select colonies, technologies, ships, etc. which want to "join" the new empire, rather than having to struggle through several dialoges and have to do it manually... .

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #1428 on: September 30, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to see that, along with the option of making the independent parts a NPR/s

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1429 on: September 30, 2019, 08:10:23 AM »
On the topic of NPR and SM...

Would it be possible to either convert a NPR permanently to a player controlled race, or just sharing vision of being able to see everything they see but not changing anything?

I think this could be very helpful both for making it easier for the community to find bugs if an NPR get stuck, understand how the NPRs AI work ( and how it can be improved ) and for storytelling where you want a NPR in your story to start doing something different.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1430 on: October 02, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
Reading up on the change to MSP construction and the resources involved, and was wondering would it be possible to have a ship order for our transport ships something like "Pick-up Maintenance Resources" and a "Drop-Off Maintenance Resources" that will instruct that ship to fill (Or empty) a variable % amount of its cargo hold with the resources required for producing MSP, with the resources picked-up and dropped off done that maintains a balanced ratio between the resources (Or as close to the ratio as that ship was able given the source target)?

Seems like a nice little quality of life addition that would remove a lot of the excessive repetitive order clicking when running regular supply runs into more established campaigns, and would also help indirectly address the issue raised in the change list post about having to keep track of the exact resources and ratios when trying to keep your empire running. 

Edit: This is slightly more clunky from a UI design perspective, but instead of a % amount of cargo hold perhaps even have the custom field for amount to collect actually denote the actual number of MSP that would be produced. So a transport fleet told to "Pick-Up Maintenance Resource" for 100,000 MSP worth of resources, would attempt to collect:

10,000 Duranium.
5,000 Uridium.
10,000 Gallicite.

The player could then more easily set further orders to "Drop-Off Maintenance Resource" to multiple destinations denoting the exact MSP output worth of resources they wanted for each stop.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:31:42 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Iranon

« Reply #1431 on: October 03, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »
Would it make sense to expand the missile agility system to ships?

I miss the distinction between speed and agility, especially for beam fighter combat as I envision it.
Fast fighters could dictate combat conditions, but would lose to more nimble ones in a dogfight.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1432 on: October 03, 2019, 10:13:39 AM »

Would it be possible to either convert a NPR permanently to a player controlled race

Already exists in VB Aurora.  What you can't do is ever go back to an Aurora-controlled NPR afterwards.

or just sharing vision of being able to see everything they see but not changing anything?

In VB Aurora, turn on SM mode, then set the viewing options (generally top left corner of most windows) to the NPR of your choice.

(Note that this does not work for spoiler races.)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1433 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:30 AM »

Would it be possible to either convert a NPR permanently to a player controlled race

Already exists in VB Aurora.  What you can't do is ever go back to an Aurora-controlled NPR afterwards.

or just sharing vision of being able to see everything they see but not changing anything?

In VB Aurora, turn on SM mode, then set the viewing options (generally top left corner of most windows) to the NPR of your choice.

(Note that this does not work for spoiler races.)

I recall trying to do this a bunch of times with normal NPRs but never getting it to work properly. :(

Maybe I was missing something.. I'll have to test it again if Aurora C# is ever released I guess and return with more specific feedback.

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1434 on: October 04, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »
It'll be nice if we could force-spawn spoiler races in specific systems or locations, especially for scripted role-play games.

The following users thanked this post: swarm_sadist, DIT_grue

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1435 on: October 05, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
This was mostly meant as a nebulous "some time in the future suggestion" when I mentioned it on Discord, but people seemed to like it, so here it is.

I'd like for there to be some crossover in beam weapons tech. Basically some techs would be shared between "schools" of weapons, so that having two types of beam weapons wouldn't require twice as much research.

For example, instead of Laser Focal Size, Meson Focal Size, and Microwave Focal Size, there could be one tech, "Focusing Lens Diameter" or maybe "Energy Weapon Focal Size" with the same cost to research.  There would still be Laser Wavelength, Meson Focusing, etc lines, so it's not that one tech would give you all three weapons, but rather you'd need the focusing lens diameter + one weapon specific tech. Using just lasers would still be two techs, but Lasers + Mesons would be three techs instead of four, and all three would be four techs instead of six. Meanwhile Railgun and Gauss Projectile velocity could be combined into one "Projectile Launch Velocity" tech (maybe alongside either plasma or a third new weapon), but you'd still need to research Railgun size and Gauss rate of fire separately.

The goal here is to make it more practical to use multiple types of beam weapon, and also clean up the research trees a little bit.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, QuakeIV, alex_brunius, JacenHan, DIT_grue, Titanian

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1436 on: October 07, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »
That's a pretty nifty idea! I wouldn't mind that change at all.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1437 on: October 08, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
I dunno... we can already process multiple Research Projects at a time. The only meaningful limits are Scientists and Labs. That, and the focusing elements of Lasers, Mesons, and Microwave weapons would be RADICALLY different.

I feel like these are already pretty balanced, and don't feel as though I'm being forced to choose... if anything else I find myself wanting MORE types of energy weapon.

Offline MJOne

• Petty Officer
« Reply #1438 on: October 09, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »
This was mostly meant as a nebulous "some time in the future suggestion" when I mentioned it on Discord, but people seemed to like it, so here it is.

I'd like for there to be some crossover in beam weapons tech. Basically some techs would be shared between "schools" of weapons, so that having two types of beam weapons wouldn't require twice as much research.

For example, instead of Laser Focal Size, Meson Focal Size, and Microwave Focal Size, there could be one tech, "Focusing Lens Diameter" or maybe "Energy Weapon Focal Size" with the same cost to research.  There would still be Laser Wavelength, Meson Focusing, etc lines, so it's not that one tech would give you all three weapons, but rather you'd need the focusing lens diameter + one weapon specific tech. Using just lasers would still be two techs, but Lasers + Mesons would be three techs instead of four, and all three would be four techs instead of six. Meanwhile Railgun and Gauss Projectile velocity could be combined into one "Projectile Launch Velocity" tech (maybe alongside either plasma or a third new weapon), but you'd still need to research Railgun size and Gauss rate of fire separately.

The goal here is to make it more practical to use multiple types of beam weapon, and also clean up the research trees a little bit.

From one perspective, this will flatten ”racial” variations.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1439 on: October 09, 2019, 01:55:29 AM »
I personally kindof like the shared tech idea, mainly because a lot of those weapons are kindof useless on their own so you would need to research a family of weapons regardless.  One of the nice things about missiles is common techs give you better AMMs as well as ASMs, so it might balance things out a bit if you have tech that helps you get a family of projectile weapons, rather than JUST a guass weapon (mainly flak) or just a railgun (definitely not flak).

I could point to warhead strength for instance, which gives you better missiles of all kinds, whereas there isnt really an equivalent 'launch velocity' at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:57:36 AM by QuakeIV »