Author Topic: Automatic officer assignment  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
Automatic officer assignment
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »
So... I was rather used to just use the auto assignment and be done with it. After all, in a meritocratic nation, what better thing than putting the best people for the job on every ship, right?

Then I actually checked the naval assignment and discovered that it's retarded. The best crew training officers get assigned..... to PDC. Yes it's not a typo, the PDC get the better officers. After that, the assignment follows no sane progression, putting the best officers on old and/or small ships, not on my capital ships.

Could someone enlighten me and explain what criteria is used during the automatic assignment for crew training? survey and staff officers get assigned well, it's just the crew training that's completely out of wack...

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Automatic officer assignment
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
I have read it carefully. So it seems that me setting up every ship as R1 requirement was actually... quite bad. It still is rather bothersome, but I suppose that setting important ships and installations as R2 or above only would fix the issue.
Thanks a lot for the answer :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:39:02 PM »
I have read it carefully. So it seems that me setting up every ship as R1 requirement was actually... quite bad. It still is rather bothersome, but I suppose that setting important ships and installations as R2 or above only would fix the issue.
Thanks a lot for the answer :)

You can also set a priority for each class within a commander rank. The best officers are assigned to the highest priority classes.

Steve

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »
You can also set a priority for each class within a commander rank. The best officers are assigned to the highest priority classes.

Steve

I had seen that, but since I did not know the hierarchy from that other post, I had not modified the requirements for minimum rank for older ships. So, old obsolete PDCs and obsolete ships had higher rank requirements than modern ships, and thus got better people assigned. Thanks again for the information.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
I added the information from that post to the wiki.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
Hey, while we're on that subject: It's kinda important in my campaign for me to have a military guy that fills the highest military rank, but currently that rank is unfilled.

I'm aware that it has something to do with the number of ships that I have built, but what determines how many admirals, cosmic admirals, admiralissimos, and so on, that you have. Is there a rule somewhere?
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
Hey, while we're on that subject: It's kinda important in my campaign for me to have a military guy that fills the highest military rank, but currently that rank is unfilled.

I'm aware that it has something to do with the number of ships that I have built, but what determines how many admirals, cosmic admirals, admiralissimos, and so on, that you have. Is there a rule somewhere?

I think it depends on the total amount you have of the rank below with every new rank requiring 3 of the rank below. So more academies (and ships/fighters the leaders can command so they are not dismissed for inactivity).

1x R5
3x R4
9x R3
27x R2
81x R1

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
I think it depends on the total amount you have of the rank below with every new rank requiring 3 of the rank below. So more academies (and ships/fighters the leaders can command so they are not dismissed for inactivity).

1x R5
3x R4
9x R3
27x R2
81x R1

At some point in the upper half/third it goes from 3-1 to 2-1.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
I was wondering about this yesterday, as I turned on auto assignments so lesser officers could stay busy on my fleet without being lost to inactivity, but after reaching the second year of the campaigning was shocked to find that my best survey officer, communications officer, and logistics officer were replaced with random non bonus officers. While I understand the relevance of this occurring 1st January on year 2, I was wondering if there was a way of making officers I had assigned myself un replaceable, while still allowing all other commands to be rotated as the game sees fit?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »
In the post quoted below there is something detailing how to do so.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
I was wondering about this yesterday, as I turned on auto assignments so lesser officers could stay busy on my fleet without being lost to inactivity, but after reaching the second year of the campaigning was shocked to find that my best survey officer, communications officer, and logistics officer were replaced with random non bonus officers. While I understand the relevance of this occurring 1st January on year 2, I was wondering if there was a way of making officers I had assigned myself un replaceable, while still allowing all other commands to be rotated as the game sees fit?

Tick the "Do not end tour" box on that Officer's page in the Leaders viewer (F4).

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »

Sooooo, you want a starfleet full of commander riker types that stay on as first mate and never move up the totem pole? Tsk tsk tsk.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »
Just the staff officers :)
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Okay so I need radical suggestions for increasing my chain of command. For my storyline it's important that I get at least one R7 commander.
I thought this would be easy because my storyline also necessitated a fighter-heavy strategy...then I learned about the fighter bonus bug.

If I just make a bunch of academies, will this compensate and get me the r6's and r7 that I need?