Author Topic: New Hull Designations  (Read 7221 times)

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
Re: New Hull Designations
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 05:01:54 PM »
Chronometer

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 05:38:18 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for small bridge-less ships? I don't really like the FAC designation and I already use gunship/gunboat for smaller, sub-500ton ships. I designate corvettes as the smallest ship class which possesses a bridge so that is not an option for me.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for small bridge-less ships? I don't really like the FAC designation and I already use gunship/gunboat for smaller, sub-500ton ships. I designate corvettes as the smallest ship class which possesses a bridge so that is not an option for me.

The "cutter" designation works neatly for small patrol craft of that sort. I've used "launch" as a small fighter designation in the tradition of the British motor launch types but it can also work for a FAC-size ship. "Trawler" is a bit hackneyed for a spaceship but would also work at least size-wise especially for a slower e.g. PD ship.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 05:46:35 PM »

The "cutter" designation works neatly for small patrol craft of that sort. I've used "launch" as a small fighter designation in the tradition of the British motor launch types but it can also work for a FAC-size ship. "Trawler" is a bit hackneyed for a spaceship but would also work at least size-wise especially for a slower e.g. PD ship.

Cutter is a good fit perhaps though that overlaps somewhat with my existing corvette design philosophy (small ships with a bridge but lacking long range capability, typically planet-bound). To me 'cutter' suggests a planet-bound ship and what I have in mind is a carrier-bound ship.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 05:53:26 PM »
To add a few that I almost always add:

Gunship (GS)
Patrol Gunboat (PB)
Missile Bomber (FMB)
Geosurvey Boat (FGS)
Gravsurvey Boat (FGR)
Stealth Scout (FSS)
Patrol Torpedo Boat (PT)
Corvette Leader (CL)

Offline BAGrimm

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 07:13:37 PM »
Quote from: liveware link=topic=12340. msg147038#msg147038 date=1611099995
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=12340. msg147036#msg147036 date=1611099722
Quote from: liveware link=topic=12340. msg147034#msg147034 date=1611099498
Does anyone have any suggestions for small bridge-less ships? I don't really like the FAC designation and I already use gunship/gunboat for smaller, sub-500ton ships.  I designate corvettes as the smallest ship class which possesses a bridge so that is not an option for me.

The "cutter" designation works neatly for small patrol craft of that sort.  I've used "launch" as a small fighter designation in the tradition of the British motor launch types but it can also work for a FAC-size ship.  "Trawler" is a bit hackneyed for a spaceship but would also work at least size-wise especially for a slower e. g.  PD ship.

Cutter is a good fit perhaps though that overlaps somewhat with my existing corvette design philosophy (small ships with a bridge but lacking long range capability, typically planet-bound).  To me 'cutter' suggests a planet-bound ship and what I have in mind is a carrier-bound ship. 

How about Pinnace? It has been used in at least one set of Sci-Fi literature that I can think of! I use it myself for pretty much the exact situation you have described.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 11:47:18 PM »
recent ones in my current game

Boarding Shuttle or Boarding Craft
Troop Carrier
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline prophetical (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 12:06:49 AM »
Jump Capable Monitor
(I use those heavy armed ships with overboosted engines and small fuel tanks - Defence Monitors - to secure critical JPs early in the game. Tug them in position and replace by shifts. One of them in each shift must have jump engine to provide a capability of rapid chase-and-destroy through JP - that's Jump Capable Monitor.)
Ah that is interesting. In my head Monitors are always slow, lumbering, decently armed and heavily armored ships.

Offline prophetical (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 12:07:07 AM »

Offline prophetical (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 12:08:55 AM »
Cutter, Clipper, Pinnace, Patrol Craft, Security Cutter (look up USCG ships for some more).

Offline Rook

• Petty Officer
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 01:27:56 AM »
Cutter was a designation for boats carried aboard ships during the age of sail, as well as commissioned sailing vessels, which were perfectly capable of independent and long-range operations. You could merge the two usages together and still have a vessel that was historically smaller than a corvette, had a layout that would fall in line with being bridgeless, and still halfway meet the requirement of being ship-launched.

Ship's Boat (Wiki)

Schooner, Brig, Sloop are more options, if just more age of sail terms. Though, I'm fairly certain none of those classes were ever launched from another ship.

This page might provide some inspiration US Navy Hull classifications (Wiki)

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 02:26:43 AM »
Ah that is interesting. In my head Monitors are always slow, lumbering, decently armed and heavily armored ships.

Just have no clue how to name these otherwise.
They are not frigates, destroyers, cruisers or battleships, because those are quite universal ships, capable of decent independent routes, not local defence only.
They are not corvettes or cutters, because of their decent size and stationary endurance.
They are not bases or forts, because of their high velocity.
They are not branders, because of their conventional weapon systems.

The only alternative I was capable to think out is "Heavy Interceptor", but it's quite clumsy, I think.
So in my star nations Defence Monitors are these - in accordance with etymology, and not with "wet navies" historical patterns.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:34:08 AM by serger »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 03:05:06 AM »
Chronometer
Say more?

I use similar, called Timer.

It's a "fake" ship you ise with delayed orders to do some check. So every year for instance check commands, every 5 years check the logistic routes and ensure everything working properly. And so on.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 03:11:49 AM »
I think 'cutter' and 'clipper' will work well. I didn't realize cutters were ship-launched historically so that will fit nicely for my carrier launched FACs. Clipper can be my new designation for planet based FACs.

Thanks everyone!

Offline alex_g

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 03:12:48 AM »
I use similar, called Timer.

It's a "fake" ship you ise with delayed orders to do some check. So every year for instance check commands, every 5 years check the logistic routes and ensure everything working properly. And so on.

Can you detail this a bit more please?
Sounds like something I'd like to have as well, however I don't understand how a ship can do these kinds of checks.