Author Topic: Chronicle of the Rigellian Empire - Part 1 Discussion  (Read 10470 times)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Chronicle of the Rigellian Empire - Part 1 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
That's what carronades are for.  There is a line of tech that I wish was more fulfilling.  Maybe taking into consideration the the standard large gun doctrine of a battleship and modifying the concept for a space theme might make that weapon tech line more fun.

Offline illrede

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • i
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
Quote from: xeryon link=topic=7685.     msg78457#msg78457 date=1424179285
Minimally thicker: yes, but the belt itself is considerably wider overall and unless there are some very lucky shots that hit the same area it will provide a lot more than 25% increase in protection.     

I was kind of disappointed in the overall armament.       It has a diverse array of weapons.       I feel like it is going to be mediocre at everything and that the smaller ships that are specialized will end up being considerably more useful.       Kind of a 'Jack of all trades, master of none' kind of problem.     

I have hit on one "Battleship" (can't do cruiser work) design template that I think works, and ironically it was the result of trying to intentionally make a "pre-dreadnought" design, the proverbial 'jack of all trades, master of none'.     The freakish thing about it was it required an abnormally high base tracking speed, but otherwise it did battleline work like nothing else.     2-4 Large railguns, 10-20 Small railguns, 20-40 large missile tubes (hour reload speed, thermal sensors) , 60-80% cruiser speed.   

EDIT: Wow the forum did not like something about this post, 5th attempt to make it and I eventually hit on posting a sentence at a time and modifying them in to see what broke things.   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:55:55 PM by illrede »

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
That's what carronades are for.

Nope, carronades also have a caliber tech to boost their size/damage, it's not open for you to choose how big you want to make them...

What I am talking about is low tech, big size guns. Not possible in Aurora to my knowledge ( only with missiles where size is open to your choice ).

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »
You just repeated exactly what I said.

Carronades are the closest representation to cannons/artillery Aurora has.  Large amounts of damage at low tech and, comparatively, low range.  With some minor modifications from Steve they would be able to recreate the feel and style of battleship large caliber guns without changing game balance.  Allow a carronade to be fit to a turret and to set the caliber/range/accuracy ratio and lots of fun could be had in close quarters ship battles.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »

Nope.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
Great update although it looks like that, even with the starting restrictions, you are well and truly out performing the NPRs. I think it also brings home the need for the NPRs to better manage their TGs and stop throwing ships at large fleets piecemeal to get torn apart.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »
Great update although it looks like that, even with the starting restrictions, you are well and truly out performing the NPRs. I think it also brings home the need for the NPRs to better manage their TGs and stop throwing ships at large fleets piecemeal to get torn apart.

Don't worry - as this is a Rigellian campaign I will be adding NPRs as I go and ensuring they can provide a challenge.

Offline Rolepgeek

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 11:19:43 AM »

Carronades are the closest representation to cannons/artillery Aurora has.  Large amounts of damage at low tech and, comparatively, low range.  With some minor modifications from Steve they would be able to recreate the feel and style of battleship large caliber guns without changing game balance.  Allow a carronade to be fit to a turret and to set the caliber/range/accuracy ratio and lots of fun could be had in close quarters ship battles.

He's not exactly bring perfectly clear about it, but he means he wants, say, extra slow but still possible 35cm weapons at TL2, rather than Plasma Carronades which you cannot quite simply make as large as you want. There's a limit based on your tech that you can't make them bigger than. He wants that removed, essentially.