Author Topic: Anti-Greenhouse Gas substitute?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Atlantia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
Anti-Greenhouse Gas substitute?
« on: October 29, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
I've encountered a planet with a temperature that's too high, and I'd like to bring it down. However, I don't wanna use anti-greenhouse gas, because it's OORP. What could I use instead?
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
Re: Anti-Greenhouse Gas substitute?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »
I don't think there is another gas which functions like antifreeze house gas.
Also, I hate auto correction.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
Just imagine that it's a sulfur blend, which will reflect sunlight back away from the planet but doesn't have the same toxins as actual sulfur.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »
Funny, I imagined anti-greenhouse gas as a nanotechnological solution rather than a typical chemical.

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
I always imagined it as "that magical smeg you pump into the atmosphere and it chases the heat away" :)

Offline scoopdjm

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
I would assume that anti-greenhouse gas is the least dense material known to man, made gaseous, and pumped into the upper atmosphere

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
I assume it to be water vapour in conjunction with CCN's (increasing the number of clouds and thus the cloud albedo of the planet).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:22:20 PM by Person012345 »

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
I would assume that anti-greenhouse gas is the least dense material known to man, made gaseous, and pumped into the upper atmosphere

It can't be too light, it'll get swept away by the solar wind. That's why there is hardly any helium on earth. Any that is produced goes to the top of the atmosphere, and then keeps going.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 04:42:52 AM »
I consider it to be a series of tubes.

I mean, solar reflectors and associated carrier gas.

Theres no gas that works this way, so lumping in anti-greenhouse gas with the rest of the gas-based terraforming solutions skirts the problem nicely.  Ship a bunch of duranium there and create a pointless research project to waste RP on it if it really bothers you :D  Sandbox mode!  Spend a bunch of research points then go in to SM mode and link star systems together.  You just developed basic wormhole manipulation technology!  Bravo!

And fundamentally, theres nothing stopping you from using SM mode to alter the planet after you've set up its atmosphere as you want it, to eliminate the gas name.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 05:46:34 AM »
Or just colonize another planet.
Theres plenty of stuff to reduce the planets temperature, but todays solutions are mostly along the lines of smoke from ship Diesel or the like.^^

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
Also "a cocktail of trans-newtonian molecules" sounds fair.  Your ships are going from 0 to 10,000km/s in a 5 second span.  Science be damned!

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Actualy there is a way to decrease the temperature of a planet although it does not work well with future populations. You can nuke the planet from orbit, The resulting dust in the atmosphere forces a nuclear winter on the planet. The problem you would have is that the planet would be hostile by means of radiation and dust.

If you realy realy realy wont to colonize this planet you could use the biology track of research to create a species that only lives in 100°C+ environments.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Eseraith

• Leading Rate
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »
I always assumed that Anti-Greenhouse Gas was just a large amount of black dust blasted into orbit to form a kind of shade for the planet it is a simple solution that is possible even with current technology let alone the technology that exists in this game.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
White dust would make far more sense. Black absorbs the heat, while white reflects it.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
One must be careful when talking about things like heat.  I would assume orbital "Chaff," or reflective particles, that scatter light of all wavelengths (including infrared) and prevent it from reaching the planet.  the particles we're discussing are orbital and above the bulk of the atmosphere, so absorbed radiant heat is essentially irrelavent at the planet's surface.  

Either way: anti greenhouse gas is nitrogen + magic technology.  I support magic.

Future terraforming redesign has been mentioned by steve, where things like magnetic fields and hydrospheres are important.  I would love to harvest cometary bodies, or iceworlds, of water to establish hydrospheres elsewhere.  Water management is a HUGELY important part of space colonization.  As it stands now, we can create a wet atmosphere, but I don't think it will ever rain out as a hydrosphere.  I'm sure any development in these areas will complicate the use of anti-greenhouse gasses slightly, and perhaps effective limits will be instituted as a result of changes to the design.  (its crazy i can do a 3000 degree C ball of useless, airless rock, with no hydrosphere or magnetic field, to a viable 0 cost planet in just a few years with AGH gas.)

As an additional side note, lack of a magnetic field should cause atmosphere to bleed off as a function of proximity to star and luminescence of said star.  So that 3000 degree ball of airless rock would quickly become airless again without hundreds of terraformers operating at full capacity.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:52:08 PM by Thiosk »