Author Topic: Terraforming just stops  (Read 2159 times)

gamemonger56

Terraforming just stops
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

plugging along 45 TF installations and doing fine. then sudenly it stops.

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
Re: Terraforming just stops
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
Did it tell you any message? It's possible that if you set a limit on the maximal atm, and it hit that limit.
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

gamemonger56

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
nope left it at 0 and plenty of manpower

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
Need more info.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Are other production type things still continuing on this colony (shipbuilding, creating new installations, building missiles/fighters etc)?

is there unrest on the colony? - If the population are unhappy enough they dont make anything

Are you running a deficit? - once your balance goes sufficiently negative then all production gradually slows to a stop until the balance improves

Failing these could you provide a screenshot of the Summary & Environmental screens for the affected colony.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Goron

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:38 AM »
I'm going to hijack this thread with my own information.
I ran into this problem recently:

I was terraforming Mars.
I had 10 terraforming installations and ~5 10 module terraforming stations in orbit.
I was adding oxygen with a max value specified at 0.1 atm.
At around 0.08 atm of oxygen the terraforming just 'stopped'. No messages, not notifications. I only discovered this because I manually checked the environment tab of Mars and saw that the gas dropdown was set to 'Terraforming Inactive' (or whatever the wording is; don't have game in front of me now).
I had to re-enable the terraforming for it to continue.

Note, I did NOT check the population status at the time, meaning, it is entirely possible that I was running my installations understaffed. Is it possible that the terraforming just shut down due to lack of workers? Again, I got not messages or notifications; and, I had ships in orbit that required no on-planet workers.

Also note, I am fairly certain the population was well above that necessary to run the ten terraforming installations. THey would have required... 2.5 million workers; even accounting for the service sector, agriculture, and the limited number of construction/mine installations I am fairly certain I had plenty of workers at the time.

Given all that, I would like to be confident that it was not understaffing that caused the issue, and as such I cannot figure out what else may have caused the issue...
I had ~200,000 wealth, so even if I was running at a day to day loss I would have been fine, I had plenty of infrastructure on the colony and it was not over-populated. I am NOT sure what the protection rating was, but am I correct in thinking that colonies under 25m don't have a protection requirement? (I may have made that up right now)...

Does terraforming require minerals? Mars only produces extremely limited numbers of like two minerals; that said I never got any insufficient mineral events regarding terraforming that I can think of, but, it is possible I missed one since I've been fighting Corundium shortages so those types of messages are pretty common and easy to ignore.

Maybe with that info we can figure something out.

Offline Mysterius

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
Terraforming isn't perfectly accurate.   If you set oxygen to be at 1. 0 atm, you'll often end up with 0. 08, 1. 02 or whatever.   

In my current game, i had a planet where nitrogen was supposed to be at 0. 9, oxygen at 0. 21.   
In fact, nitrogen reached 0.  902 and oxygen 0. 2194. 

However, the difference is always negligible and it will never jeopardize your terraforming attempts.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:03:02 PM by Mysterius »
Quote from: Atlantia
Quote from: Person012345
The commission of the first Dwarf class mining ship. 

I hope it menaces with spikes of Duranium and is adorned with hanging rings of Corbomite!

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
Terraforming isn't perfectly accurate.   If you set oxygen to be at 1. 0 atm, you'll often end up with 0. 08, 1. 02 or whatever.   

In my current game, i had a planet where nitrogen was supposed to be at 0. 9, oxygen at 0. 21.   
In fact, nitrogen reached 0.  902 and oxygen 0. 2194. 

However, the difference is always negligible and it will never jeopardize your terraforming attempts.
Well first of all, 0.08 is really far from 1. Second of all the terraformers only check if they reached the max atmosphere at the end of the increment, which means it will always go over the max atmosphere.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
Or under the goal, if they're removing.  If you really need to fine-tune your atmosphere, do smaller increments, but it's not overly important unless you're making a venetian paradise and perfectly matching the tollerances.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
Well first of all, 0.08 is really far from 1. Second of all the terraformers only check if they reached the max atmosphere at the end of the increment, which means it will always go over the max atmosphere.
He meant 0.98.

Just to say, at the topic, understaffing won't cause the terraformers to shut down, simply to run less efficiently (you won't be pumping as much gas into/out of the atmosphere as your terraformers are capable of).

Offline Mysterius

• Petty Officer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
Haha yes i meant 0.  98, sorry   ;)
Quote from: Atlantia
Quote from: Person012345
The commission of the first Dwarf class mining ship. 

I hope it menaces with spikes of Duranium and is adorned with hanging rings of Corbomite!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
Terraforming does not require any TN minerals.