Author Topic: Sub-pulses and follow mechanics  (Read 1567 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Sub-pulses and follow mechanics
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »
Hey all

So I have been trying to follow a neutral NPR back to their home system but, due to very limited sensor range have been forced down to very small time increments to enable this.

As far as I can tell when my ship is following a neutral (using the follow contact order) the game will proces the movement of the neutral ship for the whole of the increment set, will check if the ship is still in sensor range and then process my turn with the catch up to the ship such. This is fine if running small increments but whenever I try to advance above 8 hours I loose contact with the alien in that first phase and my ship in turn fails to execute its' order.

I also tried manually setting the sub pulse length to a period that I knew my ship would retain contact with the alient but I still lost contact from the longer time stamp.

I got round this to come extent just by interpollating the destination of the alient and setting a way point there then setting my ships speed to match the alien. This allowed me to jump forward faster but in turn I have had to keep a very close eye on the ship.

Is my understanding of the mechanics right, and if so how do others best solve this issue?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Sub-pulses and follow mechanics
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »
Is my understanding of the mechanics right, and if so how do others best solve this issue?

That matches my experience and understanding of what's going on.  I normally just make the follow distance a little closer, but it sounds like that won't work for you because of the sensor range issue.

John