Author Topic: The Major Issue in Aurora: Every patch=another Campaign..  (Read 1772 times)

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
The Major Issue in Aurora: Every patch=another Campaign..
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:35:12 AM »
Am here again..:)

From 2000 in SA to present day.

Am an Aurora's Addicted..

But am pray Steve to "think" a "sort of improvement"...

Every patch = another whole campaign..

And this..before or later lead to "boring" situation...

Am pray Steve,before going in ANOTHER patch..think this situation are very hard for us..:)

it's simple example: read ALL Campaign topics.-.someone had spent VERY nice and hard time to background and write a AWESOME history and game-work.

Hope,one day or another..this issue are resolved.

Thy for patience,and apologize my pooor english.

Earth Empire - Admiralty - Ganimede Base.

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: The Major Issue in Aurora: Every patch=another Campaign..
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »
It was a bit hard to understand; Basically, you are saying that having to start a new campaign leads to boringness/not wanting to start another one?

Yeah, it's a problem. But honestly, (to Steve) if compatibility breaking is needed to get new stuff out, then by all means, break compatibility rather than have the game limited to save-compatible stuff. Just as long as there's a decent amount of stuff between updates that make updating look preferable to continuing to use an outdated version.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
We need the person who created the migration tool for SA to do one for Aurora. :)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »
Actually,  I think we could use SAUpdate...if someone would take the time to analyse all the tables to determine what changes had been made.  With that a new control file could be made to update an existing database.  I don't think I have a copy of SAUpdate anymore.  The added complication is that there are over 100 tables in the database these days.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Libelnon

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
steve could also set it up to fit two databases, a core one for the game info and a secondary one for specific universe info.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
I tried to use various sql comparison tools on the DB but because it is Access ... no beuno :(

It isn't just new tables, it is additional functionality to existing parts of the game that requires a new column be added to those tables and then relationships built between new/old columns and new/old tables.

I do it as part of my job using MSSQL2008 and the aid of subversion tools and SQLDiff tools and it is still a pain, doing it with Access doesn't bear thinking about.

I think the SAUpdate tool was basically a SQLDiff tool written in VB?

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »
It is an interesting situation, part of me wishes for new gadgets to play with, part of me wants a longer development cycle so I can play a longer game.

I think if Star data and game data was separated, with the GM mode it would not be hard to add the various ships, and if you could add wormholes as a GM option, or that was apart of star data it would not be too hard to recreate game to a certain semblance, NPR could be readded and an approximate tech level associated.

Ideally Steve in a development cycle thinking how the database could be updated via scripting rather then manual configuration would be the best case scenario, but either way I am privilege to play this great game, so I shall not complain too much.

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »
Steve's work are ever a awesome work.

our "only" need are a some "improvement" in patching system...

See ya mates

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:12:56 AM »
i agree if rapid development is the way and multiple patches re forthcoming then restarting campaigns isnt a bad idea

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
I just generally rebuild the campaign around where I left off - it would be nice to be able to import/export some data to help on a new game set up: The map, research completed (Including projects and by extension the ship designs) and the army lists to name the most time consuming stuff to set up.