Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 143863 times)

Offline iceball3

• Captain
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #315 on: September 15, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »
That's exactly my problem, I have the same "doctrine", but moving such a fleet (and managing PD ships, that I like to keep as a separate task group, so no "final defense" option) quickly became a logistics nightmare.  This looks like a great solution that allows to keep a relatively small base squadron size (I like 3 or 4 bigger ships, or up to 6 smaller) while being able to attach and detach them from a proper fleet on the fly.  Will the PD in final defense configuration also extend to the whole fleet?

(BTW hello everyone, I've been lurking the forums for some time looking for answers and strategies, I just registered, also to say thanks to Steve, the game is really awesome!! Can't wait to play the new version! :D)
I haven't checked, recently, but in VB6 Aurora should have final fire apply from all PD ships to all targets that share a location.
I think i've also seen some comments here and there that suggest that it also allows final-fire to engage missiles that are engaging on ships within BFC and weapon range of the PD platform without sharing the location, though at diminished accuracy due to the range.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #316 on: September 15, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »
I haven't checked, recently, but in VB6 Aurora should have final fire apply from all PD ships to all targets that share a location.
I think i've also seen some comments here and there that suggest that it also allows final-fire to engage missiles that are engaging on ships within BFC and weapon range of the PD platform without sharing the location, though at diminished accuracy due to the range.

I thought final fire was for that ship only. Sort of a last-ditch attempt. @Steve Walmsley?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #317 on: September 15, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
I thought final fire was for that ship only. Sort of a last-ditch attempt. @Steve Walmsley?
I remember there being an area PD mode, a Task Group wide PD mode, and a point blank self protect PD mode. Don't really have any warships in my only running game right now so can't confirm at the moment.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #318 on: September 15, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »
Area Defence shoots at any missile inside BFC range if they "stop" in that increment - if they just pass through the area inside the 5 seconds, then they are ignored.

Final Fire shoots at all missiles about to hit any ship in the same location.

Final Fire (self) shoots only at missiles about to hit the shooting ship itself.

So if you have PD ships with very long range lasers, they can be used in Area Defence mode. Most PD is best to be kept at FF mode. If you have some PD in high value targets, those might be worth it to keep on FF(self) so that they save their shots to defend themselves.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #319 on: September 15, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »
As said above, Ship-Only was Final Fire (Self) mode.
I was mainly positing that the mode which protected all ships on the same location (Final Fire) might've been able to behave similar to very close ships, based on conjecture i've heard around the forums, but I may be mistaken.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #320 on: September 15, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
As said above, Ship-Only was Final Fire (Self) mode.
I was mainly positing that the mode which protected all ships on the same location (Final Fire) might've been able to behave similar to very close ships, based on conjecture i've heard around the forums, but I may be mistaken.

I believe I've seen that (final PD apply for ships in a different location than the PD ships but still in their FC range) happen, although it's been a while since that fight.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2016, 06:26:45 AM »
Area Defence shoots at any missile inside BFC range if they "stop" in that increment - if they just pass through the area inside the 5 seconds, then they are ignored.

Final Fire shoots at all missiles about to hit any ship in the same location.

Final Fire (self) shoots only at missiles about to hit the shooting ship itself.

So if you have PD ships with very long range lasers, they can be used in Area Defence mode. Most PD is best to be kept at FF mode. If you have some PD in high value targets, those might be worth it to keep on FF(self) so that they save their shots to defend themselves.

This is correct, except that Final Fire shoots at all missiles about to hit any ship within the range you specify (limited by the max range of the PD weapons).

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, iceball3

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #322 on: September 27, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
This is correct, except that Final Fire shoots at all missiles about to hit any ship within the range you specify (limited by the max range of the PD weapons).
Confirmed!
Makes long range point defense on the moon mildly tempting.
I know deferring things into anything but super-stacks of shooty doom is disadvantageous, but i still like the idea of how we can still get some protection from fire when we're not stacking everything into a indiscrete bunch.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »
No screenshot but a big milestone.

The first successful movement order in C# Aurora was just completed. A small Argentine survey ship, the Rio Quequen, was assigned an order, moved across the 58 Eridani system, arrived at the correct destination and consumed fuel en route.

With the orders framework now in place (including the whole of the order creation process on the naval organisation window), I am working through the execution code for the various order types. While there is still a huge distance to go, I am getting closer to the point where it will be possible to start a test game.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2016, 07:46:31 AM »
The Fleets Orders tab within the Fleets tab on the Naval Organization window. The first screenshot is a basic view showing the Sol system with the default settings. In VB6, all the various movement options, such as order delay, how many items to load, whether to load sub-units of HQs, were displayed all the time. In C# Aurora, those will appear along the bottom of the window only when needed for the specific order type. There are three potential views for the left-hand column - the normal destination view, a list of auto-route destinations (where the orders are calculated automatically) and Order Templates, which are sets of orders you create and store. These are all in VB6 Aurora but not displayed in this way.

With regards to auto-route destination, in VB6 these are restricted to populations, but I will add the option to have auto-route waypoints as well (you will see a list of populations, plus all auto-route waypoints you have established). This code isn't written yet so no screenshot.

BTW I've spotted the missing space in Remove Last but I am too lazy to recreate all these screenshots :)

One of the odd things in VB6 Aurora was that when you show moons in the destination list, they can appear next to the wrong planet because planets with populations are excluded from the system body list. In C# Aurora, they are greyed out instead of not appearing, which makes things much clearer

This screenshot shows planets turned off and fleets turned on. Fleets are now prefixed by FLT: to make the list easier to read. Civilian harvesters are also displayed (prefixed by CIV: ) so you can use them to refuel.

Here is a fleet that has received orders. The order list now shows the destination followed by the order. Any transits are shown in orange.

A fleet with troop transports picking up ground units. The whole third list is now replaced by the potential selections and will disappear once you use Add Move. Ground forces are shown with their formations to make selection easier.

There are no longer separate orders for each installation type. Instead, there is a Load Installation order that allows you to select which installation to pick up and also shows you the current number of installations. I have setup the code in C# Aurora to make it a lot easier to add new installation types and this new order is part of that process.

The following users thanked this post: Marski, Nori

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #325 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
Keep up the good work.
Despite all these years, there still hasn't been even an announcement of a game that could even begin to rival yours.
There's "Distant Worlds" but it's just a caricatyre, it doesn't allow anywhere near the freedom of design you would have in Aurora.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2016, 05:04:39 AM »
I think it's about time for some more screenshots soon. How about an early Christmas gift for us in the form of a few Screenshots or update?  :)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #327 on: December 16, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
I think it's about time for some more screenshots soon. How about an early Christmas gift for us in the form of a few Screenshots or update?  :)

I've been working on mainly back-end code, movement orders and system generation recently. I've successfully tested the exploration of an unexplored jump point, although full system generation isn't done yet. Should be finished over Xmas though.

The following users thanked this post: Manekaalecto, QuakeIV, Ynglaur, MarcAFK, Steven Wargames, NuclearStudent, Titanian

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
"Sir the planets in this system are randomly popping in and out of existence"
"Ah smeg, guess the universe is still down for maintenance, everyone back to Sol"

The following users thanked this post: Manekaalecto, Porjate, Titanian

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #329 on: December 22, 2016, 05:54:07 AM »
Hi Steve, just a simple question?

Is there any chance to see some graphic improvement on the ship icons on the map? For example, different icons for destroyers, battleship, cruiser... etc etc. instead of simple circles.