Author Topic: Efficient Colonization and Explorations  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Efficient Colonization and Explorations
« on: May 29, 2016, 03:58:41 AM »
What is your process to efficiently explore and colonize a and terraform a system? I've been trying to use the civilian industry to move things like terraformers and infrastructure around but it has proved quite inefficient as despite having buttloads of civilian vessels they all seem to be colonizers that just want to make my colonies overcrowded. I can't even stop them...

I ask because I am twelve years into my game and have only colonize two planets outside Sol, and Mars and Luna aren't even fully terraformed yet, so I feel like I'm not doing something right.

If I set a geo survey team in Sol to explore all bodies will it automatically go through jump gates to do so once all bodies in Sol are surveyed? That would make my life much easier. 

And once you have explored and colonize a system, how do you "lock it down"? So far, I can't really station anything outside of Earth because it is the only place with any manufacturing, the 11 elements, and fuel. I guess you would have to set up the system capital to be the place where all the fuel, elements, and factories are put, but if it doesn't have the 11 elements nativley then you would have to set up a whole distribution chain, and that would be super annoying and something I am not at all good at managing...

Finally, I can't help but think terraforming ships are kinda useless compared to installations. The moduals are very large and it seems better to just invest in a large freighter that can carry planetary installations.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:17:30 AM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Efficient Colonization and Explorations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:44:31 AM »
What is your process to efficiently explore and colonize a and terraform a system? I've been trying to use the civilian industry to move things like terraformers and infrastructure around but it has proved quite inefficient as despite having buttloads of civilian vessels they all seem to be colonizers that just want to make my colonies overcrowded. I can't even stop them...

Once a pop hits 25 millions, you can set it as "stable", which will prevent civilians colonizer from bringing in civilians. Also, there are two ways to get infrastructure. You can produce and move it yourself, or you can let the civilians bring in free infrastructure. Part of the issue may be that your civilians are too busy moving terraforming installations to bring the infrastructure.

So crowding is inevitable, but it shouldn't be too much of a issue, especially if you can deploy a few ground troops to maintain order.

I ask because I am twelve years into my game and have only colonize two planets outside Sol, and Mars and Luna aren't even fully terraformed yet, so I feel like I'm not doing something right.

Hey, that's not too bad, quite fast honestly. I tend to turtle for much longer.

If I set a geo survey team in Sol to explore all bodies will it automatically go through jump gates to do so once all bodies in Sol are surveyed? That would make my life much easier. 

Geoship you mean? You can set it to survey all body in sol, and to transit to another system if the primary default order (survey bodies in sol) isn't possible.

And once you have explored and colonize a system, how do you "lock it down"? So far, I can't really station anything outside of Earth because it is the only place with any manufacturing, the 11 elements, and fuel. I guess you would have to set up the system capital to be the place where all the fuel, elements, and factories are put, but if it doesn't have the 11 elements nativley then you would have to set up a whole distribution chain, and that would be super annoying and something I am not at all good at managing...

Not sure what you mean by "lock it down". As for distribution chains, you can use mass drivers to move minerals within a system without any input.

Finally, I can't help but think terraforming ships are kinda useless compared to installations. The moduals are very large and it seems better to just invest in a large freighter that can carry planetary installations.

That's funny, I never use installations because I consider them useless. They simply need too much labour, and in hostile world, much of the population is too busy keeping the rest alive. If you want to quickly terraform planets, you need dozens of installation. I just dedicate a shipyard to terraformers generally. You could also consider using Orbital Haibtat to manufacture a gigantic terraforming station.

The following users thanked this post: Borealis4x

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:48:49 AM »
That's nice of you to say, but in reality I did "cheat" a bit. I set the starting population to 6 billion rather than the default 500 million to more accurately reflect the predicted population of working aged people by the year 2025. I did tone down a bit the amount of starting installations I would get, but I still got significant bonuses as you can imagine.

By "lock down" I suppose I mean that the system is able to support a fleet and can defend itself and is generally well developed and defendable. Basically, it isn't considered the wild frontier anymore.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:59:02 AM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
A couple of colonising hintsI've come up with.  People are the biggest hallenge when colonizing, so you should probably use approaches that rely on people the least.  First, research the terraforming component for ships, set up a civil dry dock for them and keep churning them out.  They don't require shipping or population to work and you will soon have a roving fleet of tearraformers making your galaxy habitable.

Second, research the Sorium miner for ships.  Set up a civil dry dock and start producing those.  Station them in gas giants throughout the galaxy and every where youo station one, station a small tanker with it.  Use the tanker to transfer the fuel to the colonies in the system.  You will then have fuel stores at each colony in your empire.

Thirdly, research the mining component for ships.  Set up a civil dry dock for it and keep churning it out.  Then send them to systems where you would like to establish colonies along with a couple mass drivers.  Fill you colony with minerals without using population to man the mines.

Finally, research the maintenance component for ships.  Maked a PDC that can support 1000 tons of military ships.  When you set up a colony, Have your main planet prefab a number of the maintenance PDC's, send them to your colony and then have your colony assemble the PDCs.  I make my ships in stock sizes, right now my smallest are 4000 tons, and I have a number of efficient colony defense ships. I send four prefabbed maintenance PDCs to a new colony and the send the colony dedfense ships to my colonies that are squwaking about defense until those colonies can build appropriate levels of defense PDCs.  The best part about the maintenance PDCs is that they do not require population to work them.

So, avoid using population for maintenance facilities, terraformers and fuel refineries by using the fleet components of those facilities and you'll have more population to make and mine stuff.

The following users thanked this post: Borealis4x