Author Topic: New Planet Images  (Read 15156 times)

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
Re: New Planet Images
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »
Steve's open to replacing the default planet images, I'm just waiting until I have them all properly attributed so theres no potential legal issues. Nasa are good but my current pack does steal from other questionable sources.

I believe I understand your concerns and your reasoning.

However, I would point out that some of the graphics in Steve's official downloads come from 'questionable sources.' Of course, the biggest culprit is the Race folder. It is possible that permissions were obtained, I suppose. But I doubt it. I'd guess that 99% of that folder is suspect. Also, most of the .GIFs in the Ships folder are too obvious or at least strangely familiar. In both, I see some stuff from franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek.

The rest of the official graphics might be more or less kosher. Though, I do wonder where all those national flags came from.

Anyway, there are two factors which I would point out: 1) Aurora is a free game project. No money is involved. 2) With the exception of certain large planet images, the images are very small versions of the originals. (Or tiny, rather vague representations, in the case of the ship .GIFs.) As such, they would fit the definition of "thumbnails."

The fair use of thumbnails was mostly just common sense for a number of years. But, in landmark cases in 2007, the courts have upheld this view:
Using Thumbnails of Copyrighted Images is Fair Use
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline IhaQuer

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • I
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »
I have a question about this packs . . . 
Im a new in this game, but simple question :
Where put this files? I need create a folder name like "Solar" or something like that or what? :)
Planets going to "platnetjpeg" folder but Solars, where I need to put?

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 03:56:59 AM »
Having just received my new laptop I'm looking to revise this project. Already I've noticed something, after generating a few dozen systems no image after gg10 was selected  for gas giants with the exception of Saturn which starts with gg11 by default. Curious.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
And almost a year later I've finally finished my revised planet pack.
The original post will be updated with the new files.
I've generated several systems and come to the conclusion that Aurora will only use a limited number of planets for random image selection, the planets used match those available in the old version 5.5 installer. Any planets after these won't be used. As such I have pruned the basic image pack down to the minimum amount needed for aurora to run, but images have been selected which should give a good assortment of images, I have also added completely new images for gas giants and asteroids or moons.
The new basic planetjpeg folder does not contain any of the bodies from our solar system, this prevents the suspension of disbelief from seeing jupiter or whatever in alien systems.
For the sol system the additional solar system folder can be dropped in, just like before it contains 2 copies of each body, one named so you can easily find a planet alphabetically, and the other copy named so aurora can actually find the image, since aurora only recognizes the last 3 characters of a file name.
Then a bonus folder is included with every other image I have available, these have been named so they follow the image numbers from the basic planetjepeg folder.
And finally theres a Jumbo folder with every image.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »
Wait so which folder am I supposed to us?

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:25 AM »
Wait so which folder am I supposed to us?
yeah I thought this might come up.
If you just want the minimum new planets then replace the default planetjpeg folder with the planetjpeg zip file.
Solar system 1.2 contains earth, mars, Jupiter etc. For when you want the solar system to look good. You can use that as well but need to manually choose what each planet looks like ingame.
Or just go for the jumbo pack and get everything.