Author Topic: automate fuel transport from civilian harvesters  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Seolferwulf (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
automate fuel transport from civilian harvesters
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
Hi there!

I've got a bunch of civilian harvesters sitting at Uranus.
I'd like to automate the fuel transport from there to my colonies and tried that by having my transporter refuel from specific civilian task groups.
The problem is I get errors whenever they replace a harvester, since the order is asking for a non-existent harvester.

What do you do to avoid such a problem?

Offline Detros

• Commander
Re: automate fuel transport from civilian harvesters
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »
You just don't research Sorium Harvester tech so civies can't build such ships.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
What I did was rename the task group of the first harvester to get their Civ Harvester Jupiter (or whatever planet it was at).  As later harvesters arrived, I had that harvester absorb the other harvesters.  I occasionally ordered the task group to Equalize Fuel.

Civilian harvesters seem designed to fill up in about 3/4 of a year at base fuel refining tech.

I used a fighter tanker since it was a real short haul and just ordered it to do a lot of round trips.  I suppose that when the fuel produced equals the amount of fuel one astrotanker can shuttle, I could put it on cycle orders until I put the astrotanker into a PDC carrier base to reset its maintenance.

There isn't a completely mindless option, like there is with mass driver, but a couple times a year for the whole harvesting group isn't a problem.

The following users thanked this post: Seolferwulf

Offline Seolferwulf (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
I didn't know you could absorb civilian ships into your own task groups.
Now I can just select one task group filled with civilian harvesters and it won't matter if some of them disappear over time :D
I'll still have to add the new ones from time to time, though.

This is much better than previously, thanks :)
It seems like I can even order them around.
Does it have any consequences confiscating ships like that?

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
Does it have any consequences confiscating ships like that?
Shipping line can have so few money (when their ships keep going poof) that they won't have enough for new ships. Of any kind. And limiting civilian trading capability is not a good idea unless your computer needs it to run in some decent speed. So if you can afford it, pay them few thousands in subsides for each confiscated ship so they can build few more, possibly of other than harvester kind.

The following users thanked this post: Seolferwulf