Author Topic: Robotic Sub-race  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Cinnius (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
Robotic Sub-race
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
Hi :) this is my firs post and i'm sorry if my English is not the best but i wanted to propose this idea to @Steve Walmsley.

Currently in the game you can make genetic modifications to your race to make it more adaptable for the planets and i was wondering why, unlike other scifi games, you can't create robotic sub-race to serve or help your species.  An idea would be to create a series of specialized research in this field so that they can initially produce them, eventually the successive tech serve to enhance its characteristics or adaptability.

What do you think?

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Robotic Sub-race
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
This probably belongs in the suggestions thread.  But it's a good idea I think.  I would think they wouldn't be 100% robotic, but instead would be augmented people.  Maybe with stronger, robotic limbs to deal with high gravity, or mechanical pumps to help breathe on worlds with low atmospheric pressure.

Maybe this should be done at a new installation analogous to the gene modification center.

MJOne

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:14:28 AM »
Good idea!

I think robotics and supercomputers are tech trees that are missing.
A crewless ship run by AI should (with some penalty) should exist.
We do not put crewmembers on our satellites.

Offline Cinnius (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »
this is another possibility.  Even if the idea of ??creating a robotic sub-race for example for military use (troops? fighter?) with a touch of risk of rebellion, it would not be a bad idea.  (maybe I've seen too much battlestar galactica)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »
Who's to say the Construction & Production techs aren't your robot servants mining, building, extracting, and converting things for you?  That an incresae in Ground Combat Strength isn't a new model of robot dogmules fighting/carrying for their masters?*

*You are.  You are the only one deciding exactly what the numbers mean.  Instead of building Genetic Modification Centres and producing a whole subspecies of "people" you can rename them Cybernetic Improvement Centres and produce a whole robot slave race. . . or just subtract an appropriate amount of minerals and/or Research Points, or whatever, and SM mode change your species' Grav or Temp tolerance, and call it a universal improvemnt of the Thingian Race.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:55:31 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »
Maybe it shouldn't be called a Genetic Modification Center anymore, but instead call it an Augmentation Center or something, so as to leave the specifics up to the player's imagination.

Offline Cinnius (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=9740. msg105382#msg105382 date=1511994711
Who's to say the Construction & Production techs aren't your robot servants mining, building, extracting, and converting ings for you?  That an incresae in Ground Combat Strength isn't a new model of robot dogmules fighting/carrying for their masters?*

*You are.   You are the only one deciding exactly what the numbers mean.   Instead of building Genetic Modification Centres and producing a whole subspecies of "people" you can rename them Cybernetic Improvement Centres and produce a whole robot slave race.  .  .  or just subtract an appropriate amount of minerals and/or Research Points, or whatever, and SM mode change your species' Grav or Temp tolerance, and call it a universal improvemnt of the Thingian Race.

this in part is true but. . .  yes, you can use imagination to believe that they are robotic systems or structures (example is the automated mine) or the upgrade (civilian or military) but the same is a technological branch that in a sci-fi world i feel lacking.

see books or TV series scifi: Asimov, Battlestar Galactica, transformer, The Bicentennial Man. . .  they all share a sci-fi world with more or less important robots.  Why aurora 4x should they leave them to the imagination and not implement something?

P. S.  use SM is not the solution for my personal opinion

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
We all know and understand what you're talking about Cinnius, no fear.

Father Tim's point bears repeating though. Aurora is very open-ended in its implementation of many things. This means that the details are left completely to the player, to imagine them however they see fit or how it fits the theme of their game or story they are writing. You can incorporate robots of increasing efficiency through the Construction & Production tech improvements as you wish. Maybe another player wants to use something else to describe how the improvements matter. Many just gloss over them. Same with the ground units and, to an extent, with the weapons.

Another issue with fully humanoid androids or AI comes from ships - why not make completely AI controlled ships and be done with crew/TF training and cruise durations completely? You've then removed a certain portion of the game completely.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
P. S.  use SM is not the solution for my personal opinion

This is pretty much the reason SM is in Aurora, to adjust it to simulate things that Steve hasn't programmed in.  I can't think of a time when I ever actually disabled SM
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:33 AM »
This is pretty much the reason SM is in Aurora, to adjust it to simulate things that Steve hasn't programmed in.  I can't think of a time when I ever actually disabled SM
Sadly it gets disabled every time you close the game :p
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
I've been turning it on as the first thing I do when starting the program since before there was an Aurora,  so by this stage I couldn't even have told you that!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.