Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 268324 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1380 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »
I've never had that  problem, but I've been playing in v7.0 until recently. I think what it is is that the PDCs might be too small. My recommendation is to just make a redesign closer to the 1 section limit of 5,000 tons. I've always used multi-section PDCs so it might just be a problem for the really tiny ones.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1381 on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
I've never had that  problem, but I've been playing in v7.0 until recently. I think what it is is that the PDCs might be too small. My recommendation is to just make a redesign closer to the 1 section limit of 5,000 tons. I've always used multi-section PDCs so it might just be a problem for the really tiny ones.

Nope i just doesn't work - there is no order to load up PDC components .
My single cargo ship has 3 small cargo holds and cant load any PDC components ( i have meson/missile base and barracks/fighter base one - bpth medium in size ).
I spawned a standart cargo hold freighter and it has no such problem.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline SenniTreborius

• Leading Rate
« Reply #1382 on: March 28, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
Same here. No matter how small the PDC is, i dont get the option to load prefabs onto the small cargo module, only the standat 25k tons one.
I believe that is a known bug, in that one has to load prefabs into a standard hold size.

Offline SenniTreborius

• Leading Rate
« Reply #1383 on: March 28, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
Actually I have a few questions about how to build a PDC.

1. What are the minimum required design components of a PDC.
2. Can one change the type of armour used (ie can one choose a cheaper type of armour). If so how.
3. Does one actually need fuel storage (and does it really have to be large as in my present autodesign offer).
4. I am assuming that one needs both Fire Control and weapons (but is that necessarily so).
5. What's the difference between a PDC Barracks and a Small PDC Barracks and are any necessary.
6. Does one need/recommend any other components, and if so which.
7. Can one use, or does one require, any other components.
8. Is this the right place for this post.
9. Have I lost my marbles?

And how does one save the game so that one can return to a set time after and incredible amount of dicking about?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:09:27 PM by SenniTreborius »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1384 on: March 28, 2016, 07:16:32 PM »
1. What are the minimum required design components of a PDC.
2. Can one change the type of armour used (ie can one choose a cheaper type of armour). If so how.
3. Does one actually need fuel storage (and does it really have to be large as in my present autodesign offer).
4. I am assuming that one needs both Fire Control and weapons (but is that necessarily so).
5. What's the difference between a PDC Barracks and a Small PDC Barracks and are any necessary.
6. Does one need/recommend any other components, and if so which.
7. Can one use, or does one require, any other components.
9. Have I lost my marbles?

And how does one save the game so that one can return to a set time after and incredible amount of dicking about?
1. A bridge.
2. Only to upgrade a design with new armor.
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. PDC barracks hold 5 Battalions while the small version holds 1. They are not necessary unless you want to protect them during a ground assault on your world.
6. Weapons, Sensors, Armor.
7. I don't understand whats being asked. There are components that PDCs cannot use (shields, maintenance storage). There is also a PDC only missile launcher that fires much faster than ones available to ships.
8. No.
9. Possibly (most of us here lost them a long time ago ;).

That is not a thing unless you have the backup utility installed.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: SenniTreborius

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #1385 on: March 29, 2016, 02:51:11 AM »
While a PDC does not need fuel storage they can be useful, I am assuming you are referring to a PDC that contains hanger space. If there is no fuel storage at a hanger location then ships will simply not refuel, even if there are mountains of the stuff lying just outside at the colony, this creates a micromanagement issue of having to manually do your refueling where a PDC with fuel space simply needs to have it's fuel levels topped up every so often.  However if you are making frequent use of a hanger it could endup more micro work to top up the PDC so it really depends on the particular situation to add fuel stores or not.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #1386 on: March 29, 2016, 02:57:38 AM »
Slightly more accurately:

3. Having some might make it easier to support fighters or other parasite craft. (I expect you could do without them, but it would probably involve more micromanagement.) Otherwise, no. (Preview edit: Ninja!)
4. There could be designs for which you didn't need either of them (e.g. barracks, Vault #xxx, sensor outpost) but having one without the other would be useless in any circumstance I can think of.
8. These sort of questions would be most at home in The Academy, but this isn't really one of the wrong places for them, so okay job?
10. Saving is just a matter of copying the database; I compact it, because that's integrated into my context menu and because saving space is an old habit.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1387 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:43 AM »
 ;D I love the Aurora name generation :D

Sweet find BTW.

EDIT : holy frakk...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:20:28 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1388 on: April 03, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
This is not going on in Aurora, but Aurora related: I started to watch "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" around 2 weeks ago, and it is even more compatible with Aurora style than Space-Battleship Yamato so far. (Wiki-Link) They still don't favor missile warfare, but the guideline to make everything appear as traditional military (yet scifi) is really strong.
The biggest selling point however would be the focus on rendering out personalities for the Admirals, Staff Officers, and some other military personnel, which all have some distinctive touch (yet never this 'modern day anime' eccentric) that really reminds you of that personality trait window in Aurora, and the stories that you make up for them.
On top of that it is through and through grown up, as it keeps up modest seriousness, tells a real story in good natural pace without forcing anything, and you get some really insightful political thematisation, which might even be the actual best thing about it, but of course that is not really Aurora related anymore. Ahh, back when history doctors or other academics used to be in charge of TV shows and movies. But no Star Trek or Legend of Galactic Heroes in this day and age. Even though this was made slightly before my time (80s), I am feeling retroactively old in my mid-20s for liking such.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Viridia

Offline Noble713

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • N
« Reply #1389 on: April 03, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
This is not going on in Aurora, but Aurora related: I started to watch "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" around 2 weeks ago

Such a great series. I started it a couple years ago, got about 25 episodes in....then realized there were 100+ episodes.  :o I just haven't worked up the willpower to get back into it (compared to watching shorter series like Ghost in the Shell, or just watching movies), but I really should...

As an aside, I captured a rather low-tech (Nuclear Pulse Engined) NPR homeworld. The AI's build priorities are weird. They had ~100 colony ships, and their homeworld was home to 140,000+ anti-missile missiles. Good thing they didn't have any PDCs to launch them: they would have sandpapered my whole navy into oblivion. Scrapping just the AMMs yielded 10,000 tons of Gallicite and over 1 million liters of fuel. The fuel isn't much....considering they had a stockpile of 1.2 BILLION liters (perfect timing as my stores on Earth are down ~60 million or so). Manually scrapping the 100 colony ships will be tedious.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1390 on: April 03, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
Trying to set up a multi-empire earth game with NPRs.   Getting frustrated  :-\
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline illrede

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • i
« Reply #1391 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
This is not going on in Aurora, but Aurora related: I started to watch "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" around 2 weeks ago

Small. World.

(Last week. Same impulse.)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1392 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
You watched Angry Joe's Battlefleet Gothic interview where he mentioned this, right? ;)
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Iranon

« Reply #1393 on: April 11, 2016, 08:37:28 AM »
New game, struck gold in my backyard:

A 2-system chain only reachable through Sol, each with one set of ruins (~100 TL4, ~200 TL5) and a useful anomaly (DS90 and EW100).
A bargain at the cost of 3 cheap railgun corvettes. The pricks formerly squatting in the system destroyed BISMARCK and BÜCKLING with missiles in heroic combat. That those, ahem, fine and noble ships died helplessly because some pencil-pusher ticked the wrong box and accidentally ordered R100 instead of R1 sensors is a filthy lie and obvious enemy propaganda. Even though communication proved to be impossible.
BACALAO fell to particle beams when the quarry turned out to be much faster than expected, they closed to beam range while the captain was still in the bathtub and nobody dared disturb her (used a too-long increment in the belief I controlled the range, serves me right for being lazy).

Offline xXKageAsashinXx

• Scrublord
  • Petty Officer
  • Shameful dispray!
« Reply #1394 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:50 PM »
Second game due to install problems that I actually haven't fixed still but have ignored cause I'm used to games that never work properly on a toaster. 

Out of a total of over 15 systems, I finally got an alien race to spawn.   Tried talking to them even though I discovered them through what I named, hull-wise, a Jump Stealth Recon Fighter on thermals without ever once showing my face to them cause the cloaking device made an already tiny ship down to 3% cross-section.   Who knew that aliens don't want to talk to people they only know exist through communications, and also I should probably have used something else other than "Fighter" for that hull designation, since it's unarmed.  .  .   but moving on, after getting to the "Communications Impossible" message, I sent my 60k ton survey ship with the same cloaking to go around what turned out to be a 60k ton carrier to survey jump points in hopes that they had expanded into different systems.  .  .   okay, it was actually to make sure I wasn't about to get curbstomped by a race that I couldn't blitzcrieg, cause I literally had no warship of any kind when I found them XD.   Plans were already made and ready to be built, but since there was no threat I never tried making that first gen and just researched nonstop. 

After finally finishing some laser battlecruisers and unarmed carriers, cause who needs frigates and cruisers anyways, I attempted to make legit contact with them.  .  .   only to find out that I'm an idiot that can't even figure out how to jump in the battlecruisers that had no jump engine.   For now the carriers are my command ship and my jump tender and my sensor ship, just an fwi.   In the end since it was late and I was basically half-asleep while high on anxiety and anticipation, I went to battle with two unarmed carriers, 150k tons with 20 490 ton meson fighters and 1 JSRF (500 tons) each. 

We checked each other out through sensors, of which mine were superior though that didn't really matter much in a carrier fight where both sides had assault craft with their own sensors, and yeah I go down that route that loses me 50 tons of space as default, then sent the fighters at each other.   The fight was 21 750 ton FACs with a class name Murature, 1 meson cannon with 1 rate of fire, looking back they're nowhere near as scary as when I knew nothing about them ;D, versus 40 of my fighters.   End result, 21 destroyed on their side, 3 on mine, though there was a fourth that barely survived thanks to me getting its carrier over to it to pick it up, but the crew ended up dying anyways to failing life support which resulted in the fighter's scrapping. 

Besides the Guerrico, the carrier, there were 5 other ships 5700 tons called the Frontin, which I have no idea even now what they do, just sitting on the planet the carrier was camping on.   Since my actual combat ships were stuck on the other side of the jump point thanks to my noobery, I just packed my things and went on my merry way. 

First combat, first victory.   Love it ;).   If anyone wants to know the actual stats on my ships, just let me know. 

That moment when you see the alien force, and realize it's bigger than yours.  

The following users thanked this post: iceball3