Author Topic: Red box around JP location?  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Red box around JP location?
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »
Just what the subject suggests, what is the red box around a jump point indicate?  I can't seem to find information about it anywhere.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Red box around JP location?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
Just what the subject suggests, what is the red box around a jump point indicate?  I can't seem to find information about it anywhere.

I believe it is a foreign jump gate.

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
Hmmm, I haven't gotten very far in any of my games yet, so I don't know much about the jump gate thing.  I've pretty much turned other empires off because I want to concentrate on learning how to explore and maintain an empire.  If it is a foreign jump gate, do I have to worry about being invaded now?  I think I have my "other empire" settings at like 50% difficulty, 0 starting empires, and like 10% or 15% chance for a new one to be created.  I'm currently in year 3, so if there is risk of invasion I think I'm screwed.

Edit: Ok, I just noticed in my task groups that it has a [JG] next to the name.  Is this something I should worry about, or is it like a Mass Effect scenario where it's like remnants of an ancient civilization?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:17:34 PM by Gilferedir »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
Hmmm, I haven't gotten very far in any of my games yet, so I don't know much about the jump gate thing.  I've pretty much turned other empires off because I want to concentrate on learning how to explore and maintain an empire.  If it is a foreign jump gate, do I have to worry about being invaded now?  I think I have my "other empire" settings at like 50% difficulty, 0 starting empires, and like 10% or 15% chance for a new one to be created.  I'm currently in year 3, so if there is risk of invasion I think I'm screwed.

Edit: Ok, I just noticed in my task groups that it has a [JG] next to the name.  Is this something I should worry about, or is it like a Mass Effect scenario where it's like remnants of an ancient civilization?

Precursors left behind remnants of jump gate networks.

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
Cool, I ended up sending a brave soul through it and found a nice binary system with no asteroids (kinda weird).  No sign of life yet, and found a very nice planet to start a populated colony on.

Thanks for the help.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:34 AM »
Finding a foreign built jumpgate wont necessarily mean there's a alien presence in the system, two way gates however almost always mean an NPR has been this way recently.

Edit: Spellchecked.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
<snip>two way gates however almost always mean an NPR has been this way recently.
This has not been my experience. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »

I've only ever seen a random gate on one side of a jump point every other time was the result of a gate-happy NPR for me  :-\

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
I eventually found two, and both had no enemies on the other side, and were two way.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »
Hmm interesting. I wont argue otherwise it's just something i've yet to experience myself :)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
Ditto.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
In my current game, there was a JG 2 hops from Sol, leading to a 0.0 cost uninhabited planet. The gates were on both ends.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 04:38:18 AM »
Sometimes the wormholes are just stable.  Sometimes aliens stabilized them, other times the cosmic strings are extra saucy and perfect for flying ships through.

Breaks up the terrain a little.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 07:27:56 AM »
Sometimes the wormholes are just stable.  Sometimes aliens stabilized them, other times the cosmic strings are extra saucy and perfect for flying ships through.

Breaks up the terrain a little.

I suspect your tongue is firmly in cheek here, but in case it's not (and for the benefit of new players)....

Ummmm no.  A red box indicates that when you check out the warp point, you discover that there's a jump gate there that someone or something  [ominous music] already built.  Think of it as being on the same level as finding the mysterious obelisk on the moon in 2001.

From a role-playing point of view, this should be taken as evidence that we are not alone in the universe, just like discovering ruins.

John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »
I base my analysis of warp points purely off a 2 line post from steve, posted in response to questions of why one cannot destroy jumpgates.  This would in principle allow for natural and artificial jumpgates.  If the aliens that built them are alive, the JGs are artificial; if the precursors or "other" built them, they're what i'm calling "natural" in this context.  

Although I haven't stated it anywhere, the stablised jump point, rather than an actual physical jump gate, is how I tend to view it as well. Maybe I should make that canon. I'll give it some thought.

Steve
See steve?  You're like The Jesus or something.  We'll take your short quotes and compile them and spout them back to eachother eons later.

Institute religion into the game and call it walmsleyism