Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 445860 times)

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #330 on: November 03, 2016, 01:15:49 PM »
That makes sense. I guess my shorter games, with large ships, generally at similar speeds per tech level is the antithesis of what mothballing would be needed for!

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #331 on: November 03, 2016, 05:25:08 PM »
I would like to see some new type of "area orders". Like for example placing a salvage ship in a system and giving it the order of salvaging automatically any new wreck that "appears" in that system. Or being able to create an order chain like this:

If Fuel Reserve in Fuel Depot XY < 200.000.000l begin transferring Fuel from Depot YZ but don't empty Depot YZ under the limit of 150.000.000l.

So basically improving automation...  ;D

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #332 on: November 03, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
Salvage nearest wreck in Default Orders would be useful indeed.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #333 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:14 PM »
"Salvage Nearest Wreck" is already a thing.

Offline baconholic

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #334 on: November 03, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »
"Salvage Nearest Wreck" is already a thing.

It generates a bunch of error when the wreck is in another system, but yes, it "works" for now.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #335 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
You pay 5% of the build cost in maintenance per year (6.25% in the next version), so over 20 (16) years accumulated maintenance costs are equal to initial build cost.
For expensive (for their size) ships, building hangar PDCs may make sense. This makes sense in particular for ships that were considered fast in their prime:

A battlecruiser 3 engine generations out of date may be thoroughly obsolete, but still able to make a meaningful contribution and keep up with the current battle line.
By current standards, its running costs are exorbitant compared to its capability though. Useful to take out of mothball if available and we expected a major battle, but not something we'd like to keep around all the time... without hangar PDCs, we'd have scrapped it long ago and built something else instead.

While totally cost-free mothballing may be a bit much, I like how the Great Old Ones can return to active service when there is a need.
I ran numbers on this, and the payoff appears to be 3-10 years, depending on how expensive your ships are.  More expensive ships per unit size mean faster payoff. 
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Crew management
« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »
I see sugestions are being presented here so I´ll dare to do so too.

I have a problem with crew training. When build new ship models I have to train new crews from cero (from scraped ships), I understand the ships are new and crew need to re-train, but their previous experience should still have some value. Maybe crews could be separate entities that persist and have a performance acording to their training in their original ship, if they change ships they get a penalty and if they man a ship that needs more crew, they get a bigger penalty based on the amount of novice personel needed to fully man the ship.

Maybe there can be a simpler solution. Hopefully the problem is important enough to get some atention.

Congratulations for the advance and thanks for a great game.

Offline RikerPicard

• Petty Officer
  • R
Re: Crew management
« Reply #337 on: November 07, 2016, 11:29:34 AM »
I see sugestions are being presented here so I´ll dare to do so too.

I have a problem with crew training. When build new ship models I have to train new crews from cero (from scraped ships), I understand the ships are new and crew need to re-train, but their previous experience should still have some value. Maybe crews could be separate entities that persist and have a performance acording to their training in their original ship, if they change ships they get a penalty and if they man a ship that needs more crew, they get a bigger penalty based on the amount of novice personel needed to fully man the ship.

Maybe there can be a simpler solution. Hopefully the problem is important enough to get some atention.

Congratulations for the advance and thanks for a great game.

I love the idea of "crews" being separate entities from the "crew pool". Here's how I can see it working;

-Fighter/FAC/Commercial crew functionality unchanged

-Military vessels >1k tons have a new field under commander, called crew

-This can either show "unassigned crew" or "<officer name> crew"

-If Captain changes ships, crew moves with them taking grade rating and TF training %, no change if moving to ship of same class, moving to different class incurs TF training but not grade rating penalty based on refit cost(moving to next generation of same type less of an adjustment than say, moving from a carrier to a destroyer), in addition to current changes based on more/less crew(Crews will swap, other crew will retain current name if captained, allowing you to swap captains or assign a new one at a penalty)

-If Captain moves to fighter/FAC/commercial ship/staff/team, or dies/retires/is simply unassigned, crew becomes unassigned, grade and TF training are unchanged but suffers penalty for having no qualified commander in charge

-New Captain reduces grade and TF training % slightly

-Scrapping a ship with more than a certain level of crew grade and training % will generate a "leader" of type "crew"(with stats for size, grade, and TF training), which can be assigned to any ship with 0 of each, modifying the ratings based on new crew size and "destroying" the leader. These leaders can also be "assigned" to join junior officer pool, which has the same effect as scrapping currently does
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:38:42 AM by RikerPicard »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2016, 11:58:37 PM »
I would like to see spinal railguns or even better more customizable beam weapons that don't rely on tech for size.

They should be more like radars where the bigger you make the caliber, heatsink, and barrel the heavier the weapon becomes with tech making more powerful smaller beam weapons viable.

Or at least give us a way to give them the x2, x4, x.5 modifier, I want my UNSC ships.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #339 on: November 08, 2016, 06:54:52 AM »
I would like to see spinal railguns
Steve has gone on record saying he likes the idea of more spinal type weapons but just hasn't gotten around to it.
or even better more customizable beam weapons that don't rely on tech for size.

They should be more like radars where the bigger you make the caliber, heatsink, and barrel the heavier the weapon becomes with tech making more powerful smaller beam weapons viable.

Or at least give us a way to give them the x2, x4, x.5 modifier,
It is a very difficult things to make changes to weapons in VB (Steve has said this somewhere). However Steve has said it is much easier to add weapons in C#, so he may do this eventually. You should have put this in the suggestion thread as this is a feature request not discussing an already decided change.
I want my UNSC ships.
So do I, but you can make do with current mechanics (I've done it before).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #340 on: November 08, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »
You can make do, but I can see where he is coming from.  It would be a fun feature.  Obviously Steve can just not implement it and we will all be totally fine, but I at least agree that it would be nice.

Offline ryuga81

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #341 on: November 09, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »
Quote from: Iranon link=topic=8497. msg98833#msg98833 date=1478191254
You pay 5% of the build cost in maintenance per year (6. 25% in the next version), so over 20 (16) years accumulated maintenance costs are equal to initial build cost.
For expensive (for their size) ships, building hangar PDCs may make sense.  This makes sense in particular for ships that were considered fast in their prime:

I'd really appreciate a "mothball" command for a TG, that puts it on minimal maintenance (say 1% per year?) and requires some time (3-6 months?) to get it flying again (it would be much like shutting down industries).  Technically I believe it would be very similar to "overhaul" command, so it shouldn't be hard to implement. . .

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #342 on: November 14, 2016, 01:26:27 AM »
Is there going to be a "united Earth" theme for peoples names where it is just the regular earth names from the other themes are bundled together? The Terran Federation naming theme is very strange and seems too Western.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #343 on: November 14, 2016, 07:13:08 AM »
Is there going to be a "united Earth" theme for peoples names where it is just the regular earth names from the other themes are bundled together? The Terran Federation naming theme is very strange and seems too Western.
You can always create your own theme if you have the patience and ideas for names.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #344 on: November 14, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
On new refueling post:

Let's say I've got 4 ships (A, B, C, D) in a fleet, along with tanker T.  T has enough refuel rate to refuel only two of the four while the fleet is moving.  The refuel priority is set to A,B,C,D.  Let's say it takes one week for any one of A-D to run their tanks dry without refueling, and that T has effectively unlimited fuel (i.e. plenty for the timescales we're talking about).

Now I give the fleet an order to move to a location that's two week's travel time away.  What happens after one week (without any micromanagement of refueling priorities)?  I see two possible behaviors:

1)  A, B have full tanks and C and D are empty.
2)  A-D all have (roughly) half-empty tanks.

Obviously #1 is the preferred (and realistic) behavior.  Reading the new rules post, it seems like we'll end up with #2.  Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks,
John