Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 5406 times)

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
I stopped playing MMORPG seriously after playing DAOC (Dark Ages of Camelot) 3am in the morning needing to go to work the next day and here I am with my little pixel character hitting other pixel creatures.

At this point I had a matrix moment and say the mathematics behind it and thought what the hell am I doing. I went cold turkey and stop the crack. If I play a mmprog now it is free and only to have a look around and explore after that it gets deleted, there just is never enough to sink my teeth into especially since most are designed for 8-10 year kids with learning diffficulties.

Give me a Multiplayer Aurora with that level of complexity then I know the crack will be too much to refuse.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
Games like Aurora tend to be hopelessly exploitable. Online games simply require a lot more structure than singleplayer games.  If you're playing with a small group, that can be done by a game master - but any true MMOG has to nail things down to prevent things going out of control.   

I should note that Star Trek ONline is running a featured episode series right now, for the first time in a long time. Is nice.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
My biggest issue with STO is the levelling. Less than a week after I created a character, I was level capped. Got through maybe 2/3 of the Romulan series, and all the Klingon. Lots more to do, but why?

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
STO bored me to death same i got capped out and went mmm this it and just cancelled the account

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »
Well, I played STO, then took a second peek when it went FTP, but I refuse to grind ike mad just to unlock my next ship.
Shame, the space combat system defenitely was fun.

CoX is feeding my altitis .. so many combinations... and fun to play, how do they play out, how do they deliver...

LOTRO .. by now I start to see the grind for traits as slowly getting to me..  I dunno. Great landscape, classes play nice, but having to kill 450 critters so your zeal trait gets better by 1 level.. (and that was step 4 of 10 possible .. HELP!).

I'm still putering around in EVE.. combat there is still interresting, the sandbox too, the general gank behavior instead more balanced fights outside of a few exceptions like Red vs Blue though.. hmm.. that game with the liberties it allows in terms of ehavior versus others defenitely shows the drawbacks of people able to hide behind anonymity.

And now recently started The Secret World with Paul. That one is interresting. Quests so far have been very unique and well thought out, it's defenitely not 'slay 20 zombies, return, slay another 20 zombies..). especially the investigation ones..   having to note down a substitute alphabet, searching youtube and wikipedia, finding morse translators etc... much fun. and we're only on the starting isle after 2 months.. so much to look foreward. and the landscaping is awesome, very realistic.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
And now recently started The Secret World with Paul. That one is interresting. Quests so far have been very unique and well thought out, it's defenitely not 'slay 20 zombies, return, slay another 20 zombies..). especially the investigation ones..   having to note down a substitute alphabet, searching youtube and wikipedia, finding morse translators etc... much fun. and we're only on the starting isle after 2 months.. so much to look foreward. and the landscaping is awesome, very realistic.

There is a really nice quest in Transylvania, where you have to Kill a Boar, just as a hat ip to the whole grind beasties schtick (though only one boar, and it's for a specific reason)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.