Author Topic: Fighter allocation issues  (Read 1701 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Fighter allocation issues
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
Hey all

Finally got myself to stage where I thought fighters would be effective so just started building them. I'm having some problems with getting them docked on my PDC hanger decks without causing problems. Having built my first fighter I created a squadron, assigned the squadron to the PDC and then transferred the fighter to the squadron in the fighters tab. This however deleted the TG and when my second fighter came off the production line I got a bunch of error messages and the next fighter got assigned to "unknown" TG and promptly vanished into thin air.

I've rolled back the game to before I caused the damage but am now back at the stage of my first fighters turning up again. If someone could give me the right steps to getting these things parked in the right place it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Fighter allocation issues
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »
Detach the fighter from the TG you built it to before transferring it to the squadron. The Detach button is on the bottom right of the TG window. This will not delete the TG you build the fighter to.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
Use the F8 screen.  It's a bit cumbersome but gets the job done.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
I'm gathering that allocating fighters to squadrons requires the fighters be sub 500 tons-- I'm not figuring out how to allocate my 800 ton FAC heavy fighters to squadrons.  Perhaps I'm missing something-- nothing populates the list in the fighter squadron window.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
I'm gathering that allocating fighters to squadrons requires the fighters be sub 500 tons-- I'm not figuring out how to allocate my 800 ton FAC heavy fighters to squadrons.  Perhaps I'm missing something-- nothing populates the list in the fighter squadron window.

Yes - fighters are 500 tons or less. The Squadron window is a little outdated and I haven't even opened it in a very long time. Your best bet for organization structure is the Naval Organization tab on the Task Groups window.

Steve

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
oof thats a tab I havn't gotten into yet.

Eek, its function and purpose are not hopping out at me immediatly.

What I havn't figured out how to do for figher ops is as follows: 

currently, if I want to launch a carrier-based FAC attack, I launch my FACs from the carrier, then detach them into their own TG, then send them on their mission and return them, at which time they rejoin and land.  Is there a way to make the detaching step automatic?  It feels like I'm doing it in a roundabout way, but I've only really launched one real FAC attack in all the time I've played.  This game I'm changing that and doing it much sooner.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:19:45 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
oof thats a tab I havn't gotten into yet.

Eek, its function and purpose are not hopping out at me immediatly.

What I havn't figured out how to do for figher ops is as follows: 

currently, if I want to launch a carrier-based FAC attack, I launch my FACs from the carrier, then detach them into their own TG, then send them on their mission and return them, at which time they rejoin and land.  Is there a way to make the detaching step automatic?  It feels like I'm doing it in a roundabout way, but I've only really launched one real FAC attack in all the time I've played.  This game I'm changing that and doing it much sooner.

Fastest way is to go to the Special/Orders tab of the F12 window, select the FACs in the left hand list box of the 'Move ships between task groups section' (using shift-click if they are all togther or ctrl-click if you need to select them individually), then press the Split TG button. Your FACs are now launched and in their own task group.

On returning, use the one of the carrier landing orders such as Land on Assigned Mothership so you don't have to manually return them to their carrier.

With regard to the Naval Organization tab, the original link is below. Unfortunately the original post has been almost entirely lost, presumably due to the move to the Aurora2 address which chopped sections out of many long posts. I have had a search and I can't find any word doc so I must have typed this directly into the forum without creating any backup :(. Even so, there is some info in the thread that should be of use.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2250.30.html

Essentially, you create a tree structure of your naval organization with a task force at the top level. Once you have the tree you can attach ships to different branches and then form task groups based on a branch, or a branch plus sub-branches. You move branches around, several at once if required, and assign fighters to carriers. You can also copy large sections of the tree so you don't need to create every branch individually.

Steve