Author Topic: Unrest  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Herode (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Unrest
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
I wonder if there's a way to stop the 'unrest increasing' messages. Aurora is poping one of those each time increment. Basically, I play 5 days auto-repeat time increments because my astrologer said it was so foocking cool. But I also happen to own some colony on Titan which I use as a private garden for me and my mates every once in a while. Unfortunately, my garden has been badly bugged by a crowd of stinking miners who are click-clonking with their picks all the day round. A real nightmare, believe me. Moreover, those working bastards are complaining about overcrowding, which complain sadly breaks the auto-turns and lets my astrologer bubbling with despair.

So, do you think there is something I could do about this, gentlemen ?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Unrest
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »
I wonder if there's a way to stop the 'unrest increasing' messages. Aurora is poping one of those each time increment. Basically, I play 5 days auto-repeat time increments because my astrologer said it was so foocking cool. But I also happen to own some colony on Titan which I use as a private garden for me and my mates every once in a while. Unfortunately, my garden has been badly bugged by a crowd of stinking miners who are click-clonking with their picks all the day round. A real nightmare, believe me. Moreover, those working bastards are complaining about overcrowding, which complain sadly breaks the auto-turns and lets my astrologer bubbling with despair.

So, do you think there is something I could do about this, gentlemen ?

Search is your friend.  http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1954.0.html
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »
I thought it was something linked to the protection level but... no. BTW, the requested protection level for Titan is not shown in the 'Summary' tab so I guess there's no request. Anyway, I moved a Garrison Battalion to the moon. Since the garrison is installed, the 'Unrest increasing' message still pops up followed by a new message : Unrest decreasing -> ground forces on titan have reduced the unrest level to 0. And it still breaks up the auto-turns every 5 days increment.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
I thought it was something linked to the protection level but... no. BTW, the requested protection level for Titan is not shown in the 'Summary' tab so I guess there's no request. Anyway, I moved a Garrison Battalion to the moon. Since the garrison is installed, the 'Unrest increasing' message still pops up followed by a new message : Unrest decreasing -> ground forces on titan have reduced the unrest level to 0. And it still breaks up the auto-turns every 5 days increment.
Protection level only kicks in at a certain level of population. 10k I believe.

Offline Tarran

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Protection level only kicks in at a certain level of population. 10k I believe.
10 million, not thousand.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
Your unrest has nothing to do with protection level, per your OP it's overcrowding.  Follow the link I posted above and then search using "overcrowding" as the keyword.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
So what you want to know then, is how to filter out the messages.

You gotta get into the message screen and theres a button that opens a list of all possible message types, and you can have some colored and highlighted and you can have some that just never show up.  Once I got 30 academy level, and i had so many damn new recruits that I had to hide all of the messages.

I don't know if they will cause interrupts once hidden.

To end the messages for good, reduce unrest to zero, and build a damn defensive force.

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
I know it's overcrowding. I did not make myself clear, sorry. My question is not about the reasons of the message, but instead : does Aurora provide some game setting, something like "do not show 'unrest increasing' messages", which could prevent this little annoyance ?

@Thiosk : our posts overlapped  ;) Thanks for the tip, I'll check this window tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:26:36 AM by Herode »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline Tarnak

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=4031. msg39192#msg39192 date=1314822381
So what you want to know then, is how to filter out the messages.

You gotta get into the message screen and theres a button that opens a list of all possible message types, and you can have some colored and highlighted and you can have some that just never show up.   Once I got 30 academy level, and i had so many damn new recruits that I had to hide all of the messages.

I don't know if they will cause interrupts once hidden.

To end the messages for good, reduce unrest to zero, and build a damn defensive force.

Tried that myself, it still seems to cause an interrupt.  It just doesn't tell you why anymore.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
it probably works this way so that the AI can deal with such situations.  It all goes back to the desire to play against an ai that doesn't cheat, but still doesn't suck so bad as to be worthless.  Put in a couple PDCs and go with it.

Now I've never noted an interrupt just for this, but I don't often hit the autoturns.

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
Tried that myself, it still seems to cause an interrupt.  It just doesn't tell you why anymore.
Confirmed. I set the filter for the 2 events about Unrest and the auto-turns still break every 5 days. Looks like the filter only filters the events displayed on the window, not the interruptions. Well, I guess I'll have to click the "30 days" button more often now.  8)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »
Turning off the message, as you've discovered, does not solve the overcrowding problem that you have.  Nor does adding a PDC or ground troops (though the ground troops do address the unrest from the overcrowding).  Below I've extracted from the post I linked above what you would have found if you'd followed it. 

Population Supported by Infrastructure: The maximum population that can be supported by the available infrastructure without overcrowding. If the colony cost is zero, the maximum population is unlimited. Otherwise, the maximum population is equal to (Infrastructure * 10,000)/Colony Cost. For more details on colony cost, see the System View window

Offline Tarnak

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
From what I read he (and I) understand the cause. . .  we just don't want to have it pause the auto turns

They can get as unhappy as they want as far as I'm concerned as it'll fix itself either through the civilians delivering more infrastructure or through military oppression or eventually the planet no longer requiring infrastructure. 

Other semi-annoying causes for pausing:

a survey vessel deciding to refuel and having its orders rescinded
populous unrest decreasing
new officers
exceptional new officers
new wrecks
wrecks being salvaged

It would be awesome if a way was added to customize which events pause auto turns and which do not.  I understand some of them are necessary for the AI to respond, but the ones listed above are purely for player info I'd think.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »
Actually the pauses are for the player to respond to events, not the AI.