Author Topic: Wealth Generation  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Wealth Generation
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »
Ah, the Octopus Empire's fabled Ring system, with its five asteroid belts and many billions of population.  What a great tragedy it was to cephalo-kind that dark day when the enemies came. . .

Remember the Ring!

LOL that is a LONG time ago :)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2019, 09:22:22 PM »
To be honest I don't see the reason why population itself should generate wealth at all, I would let certain production types generate a modest amount of wealth such as factories could generate some wealth as well as production. But most facilities should basically be net loss.

Wealth should then come from Financial Centers, Civilian trade and Civilian mining complexes and fuel harvesters.

This would make it more clear...

So you have to use wealth to keep most of the facilities going while Factories don't cost Wealth but give you a small amount and some production... all other facilities cost wealth to operate based on what they produce.

Workers should then cost Wealth not giving wealth, wealth is something population consume not produce, at least that is the way I see it. You can easily disreard the civilian sector and just assume that is a zero sum games, but the working portion of the economy should cost wealth whether they are employed or not. Tha would give you an incentive to make sure as many in your population work instead of being unemployed.

Just some example

Financial Center = Base wealth of 50 times tech level
Factories = 5 wealth per production point (also make conventional factories generate very little wealth)
Everything else cost wealth based on production (can vary depending on a what it is)
Each 10000 worker population (not civilian pop) cost 1 Wealth times the same tech level that Financial centers are modified with (people will tend to need more wealth as technology rises)

I would also add in a small Wealth cost for operating Commercial ships based on some formula on their production cost. Something you pay like you pay everything else. Nothing should ever be completely free. This is basically the salaries for the crew and maintenance the ships need over time.

This was just an example... I did not really look at the numbers in the current game or anything or if these are workable at all.

This would in my opinion be a more simple system that also make lots of sense.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
To be honest I don't see the reason why population itself should generate wealth at all.

A lot of government income (real world) comes from the taxes paid by the population. When wages rise, do does tax income. Tech industries tend to pay more so countries with a lot of industry tend to have more income than countries with mainly agricultural economies. In any event, the new rules are not intended to reflect reality, but are intended to simulate that more industrialised economies tend to have more wealth (to avoid the India problem and the conventional start problem). I'll see how the rules function during play test and then adjust if required.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
To be honest I don't see the reason why population itself should generate wealth at all.

A lot of government income (real world) comes from the taxes paid by the population. When wages rise, do does tax income. Tech industries tend to pay more so countries with a lot of industry tend to have more income than countries with mainly agricultural economies. In any event, the new rules are not intended to reflect reality, but are intended to simulate that more industrialised economies tend to have more wealth (to avoid the India problem and the conventional start problem). I'll see how the rules function during play test and then adjust if required.

I agree with that but I don't really view wealth as money as it is an abstraction of common resources and distribution of them.

Population really don't produce those resources as much as they consume them in general. Industry provide them and people consume them.

What I mean is that if people would disregard their personal consumption of resources and give them to the state the state would get more resources, taxes do represent that in a way. But from a game perspective the population are more a drain on the resources and demand their fair share of the wealth.

What I tried to explain is that you have a certain wealth "income" and part of it needs to be distributed to the population other need to be distributed to the industry to keep it going along with the TN materials.

In this context financial centers are more common resource (both practical and theoretical resources) and logistical functions that make sure these resources exist for society to function properly thus producing the base at which Wealth and prosperity can exist in the first place.

So in a nutshell the Financial centers are the Software Companies, Mining consortiums, Factories, Movie Makers etc.. everything that actually produce Wealth. You then need to make sure your Worker population get their fair share of the Wealth and then funnel some of the resources such as providing Architects, Engineers, Common materiel resources, Tools & Machinery etc that the state need to support their endeavors.

The Wealth the people consume are the things we all consume every day, from food to electronics, entertainment etc...

This is my take on how I view Wealth actually working in the game as an abstraction. To me it has nothing to do with money... money is only a facilitator of economy and has no worth in and of itself while Wealth does.