Author Topic: United Nations Enclave - Design challange RESOLVED  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
United Nations Enclave - Design challange RESOLVED
« on: March 04, 2024, 07:29:48 AM »
    PC-6 v1 "XXX"

For those who would like to challenge themselves in design. Here is one for them.

Design a short-range beam patrol corvette for the United Nations Enclave. This ship was part of an expeditionary force to the Procul Astrum system.
    Its main task was to patrol and guard the inner locations of the system and provide protection for local civilian traffic.

Rules:
    For all mentioned design category, your ship can get design points (DP). Design with most points will be used in United Nations Enclave - Scenario and you can name this ship class "XXX".

Design categories:
    • Size: no more than 6000t (0 DP)
    • Speed: Minimum 4000 km/s; for every 200 km/s (+1 DP) [exp. speed=4400 km/s +2 DP; speed=4599 km/s also +2 DP]
    • Armor: every layer above 1 (+2 DP) Maximum=3
    • Deployment Time: from 6 to 9 months, for each month below 9 (- 1DP)
    • MSP amount: Minimum = Max Repair x2, for each additional Max Repair (+1 DP) [exp. Max Repair=254 MSP, MSP amount = 762 (+1 DP)]
      Maximum = Max Repair x4, excess beyond this value will be ignored
    • 1YR MSP usage: Desired200 MSP or less, for additional interval of 50 MPS above 200 (-1 DP) [exp. 1YR = 251 MSP, -2 DP]
      for each full 25 MSP below 200 (+1 DP) [exp. 1YR = 175 MSP (+1 DP)]
    • PPV: Minimum 4, for every additional 1 PPV, (+0,5 DP)
      Beam Weapon: H&C LL-12 Laser Gun, Range: 80 000 km, PROVIDED by UNE
    • Beam Fire control: Range, Minimum 96 000k (0 DP); 112 000 (+2 DP); 128 000 (+4 DP).
      Tracking speed; Minimum = max speed of this ship design, for every interval of 200km/s less (-2 DP)
    • Range: Minimum 9 billion km, every interval of 0,25 billion km less than 10 billion (-1 DP)
    • Sensors: PROVIDED by UNE
    • Active: Kongsberg Gruppen ASA. Sonar A-20 R120, PROVIDED by UNE
    • Passive: Optotherm, Inc. TC-13.75/2.75, PROVIDED by UNE

Submissions: by PM me with design Text. The winner will be asked to provide DB with the design
    Time: until 15 March 23:59 [Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) +1]

All Submissions will be shown at the end of the challenge, in the next post.

*Attached DB is needed to complete this challenge.
    ** REMEMBER to backup your current DB (version 2.5.1).
    *** Components PROVIDED by UNE are available in the attached DB.

[EDIT] Use Tech levels from the attached DB file.
    [EDIT] Reactor: The amount of energy generated must be sufficient to ensure the ROF of the mounted armament. The Contractor is required to provide its own design of the Reactor
    [EDIT] Cost: Provide the overall Total BP for your design submissions (Not Wealth)

Any questions?[/list]
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 06:46:40 AM by Kiero »

The following users thanked this post: Zap0, Warer, SentientMeatbag, PartiellesIntegral

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    Re: United Nations Enclave - Design challange
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 07:53:28 AM »
    Reserved for submission presentation.

Accepted submissions:
    PC-6 v1 "Apollo" - by pedter
    PC-6 v1 "Greyhound" - by Gyrfalcon
    PC-6 v1 "Bloodhound" - by Gyrfalcon
    PC-6 v1 "Darchlight" - by Zap0 "Bladestar Labs"
    PC-6 v1 "Alaska" - by Warer
    PC-6 v1 "ARGO" - by Madzak
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 02:26:52 AM by Kiero »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
    Can we only mount 1 of the LL-12s or does it just mean that's the only weapon that particular weapon at all? Also is turreting it allowed?

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 11:13:11 AM »
    Can we only mount 1 of the LL-12s or does it just mean that's the only weapon that particular weapon at all? Also is turreting it allowed?

You can propose your own armament, as long as it has a minimum range of 80,000 km, a ROF 10 seconds, and is a Beam Weapon.
    The amount of installed armament will be taken into account in the evaluation of the project, in line with the UNE requirements stated in point 7.

There is not much space for design in this area. That is why "H&C LL-12 Laser Gun" was presented as preferred solution.
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:23:53 AM by Kiero »

Offline pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
    • p
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 07:20:10 PM »
    Nowhere is there mention of... functional weapons. Does the beam weapon require a reactor or can we save space for the sake of being purely a PPV vessel?

Edit: Do we need enough fire controls for the beams as well, on the subject of PPV? If I were to fit a solo single-weapon beam fire control to save space but fit three lasers they would not be able to even alternate who gets the fire control each increment. Two lasers could, technically, at least alternate who gets the fire control each increment and "use" the same single-weapon fire control.

Edit 2: if a ship is designed for 4,050km/s because that happens to be how the engines delivered power but has a beam fire control that only delivers 4,000km/s, will we receive a penalty for tracking slower than the hull velocity despite not receiving any points for having the higher velocity in the first place? Or will that first partial step in tracking speed loss be ignored?

Edit 3: the existing reactor designed for 2 power is also the most modern design possible despite being marked obsolete. It claims to deliver 2.00 power and clears all power errors on a design with only one 2-recharge laser. However, it only delivers 1.99588 power when the calculation is done out. If, using that same reactor that appears to do the job, the laser fires every 15 seconds anyway, will there be a penalty?
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:27:38 PM by pedter »

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 03:16:51 AM »
    Nowhere is there mention of... functional weapons. Does the beam weapon require a reactor or can we save space for the sake of being purely a PPV vessel?

UNE Answer: Yes the weapon needs to be functional. To fire, an adequate number of reactors should be provided.

Edit: Do we need enough fire controls for the beams as well, on the subject of PPV? If I were to fit a solo single-weapon beam fire control to save space but fit three lasers they would not be able to even alternate who gets the fire control each increment. Two lasers could, technically, at least alternate who gets the fire control each increment and "use" the same single-weapon fire control.

UNE Answer: Yes, the number of beam fire controls should be adequate to support the mounted armament.
    It is required that all mounted weapons are assigned to their beam fire control before firing.

Edit 2: if a ship is designed for 4,050km/s because that happens to be how the engines delivered power but has a beam fire control that only delivers 4,000km/s, will we receive a penalty for tracking slower than the hull velocity despite not receiving any points for having the higher velocity in the first place? Or will that first partial step in tracking speed loss be ignored?

UNE Answer: Yes, as required by the contract. In this case, when the ship's speed is 4050 km/s, the range of lesser beam fire control rating will be in the range of 3850-4049 km/s (-2 DP).

Edit 3: the existing reactor designed for 2 power is also the most modern design possible despite being marked obsolete. It claims to deliver 2.00 power and clears all power errors on a design with only one 2-recharge laser. However, it only delivers 1.99588 power when the calculation is done out. If, using that same reactor that appears to do the job, the laser fires every 15 seconds anyway, will there be a penalty?

UNE Answer: The Contractor is required to provide its own design of the Reactor /or Reactors, allowing for the appropriate firing rate of the mounted armament.
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 03:43:02 AM by Kiero »

The following users thanked this post: pedter

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:13:24 AM »
    Announcement:

In case of a draw in DP, for submitted design.
    The conclusive parameter will be the speed of the ship (higher), the next will be the overall BP cost of construction (lower), and the final one 1YR (lower) (An estimate of how many MSP will be used to repair component failure during the first year after an overhaul)

UNE Procurement Verification Team
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:43:54 AM by Kiero »

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
    • Commander
    • G
    « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 05:10:45 PM »
    While I'd love to submit a design, the attached DB is borked for me - I can't open half the screens, including the critical ship design screen. Windows displays a gray window when I try to alt-tab to it. I've reinstalled 2.5.1, and my own DB works fine still. Do you use any mods or anything?

Offline pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
    • p
    « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 05:48:19 PM »
    While I'd love to submit a design, the attached DB is borked for me - I can't open half the screens, including the critical ship design screen. Windows displays a gray window when I try to alt-tab to it. I've reinstalled 2.5.1, and my own DB works fine still. Do you use any mods or anything?

Most of this DB's windows are on another screen. Use win+shift+arrow to change which screen they're on. I have a center and a left screen, while most of the windows are trying to display on the right screen; I needed win+shift+left to bring them back into view.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
    « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 06:47:56 PM »
    DB loads fine for me. If you have no windows loading any content, maybe there is a permission problem with the file? Might be a corrupted download or some "security" feature or software breaking things.

As for windows being too far away, there is a "Reset Windows" button in the misc tab of the menu on the tactical map that also resets their positions.

Re Topic: Nice challenge! My submission is in. It appears I sent it to you as an email instead of a PM. Didn't realize that there were two different options on the profile page.

Offline pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
    • p
    « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 08:18:08 PM »
    Is it safe to assume we aren't allowed to use technology that is not yet unlocked, only race designed components? I realized it wasn't actually specified anywhere that we had to use current technology levels.

Edit: upon re-reading the original rules I have spotted the original edit that notes contractors must utilize current technology levels only.
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:51:34 PM by pedter »

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    « Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 01:58:46 AM »

Fixed. you can download DB from the first post again.

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    « Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 02:41:51 AM »
    Re Topic: Nice challenge! My submission is in. It appears I sent it to you as an email instead of a PM. Didn't realize that there were two different options on the profile page.

Hi, I'm not getting emails from Aurora Forum (don't know why, and no they are not in spam).

So please resubmitt your design via PM.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
    • Commander
    • G
    « Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 03:15:21 AM »
    Thanks for all the advice - resetting the window locations solved the issue for me. I'll send you a PM with my design submission.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero

Offline Kiero (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
    • Lieutenant
    « Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 04:53:07 AM »
    More than four submissions are in.

Accepted submissions list (second post):
    https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13501.msg168956#msg168956
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:18:51 PM by Kiero »