Author Topic: Unrest on Luna  (Read 826 times)

Offline undercovergeek (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
Unrest on Luna
« on: January 13, 2024, 06:51:12 AM »
I have passed the 10m mark for colonists on Luna and the unrest has started

Can the unrest be mitigated by ground troops or does it need to be warships - of which i have none but can start building?

TIA

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Unrest on Luna
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 07:38:15 AM »
Ground forces will reduce unrest, sufficient warships will prevent it forming in the first place.

Civilians do not care how viable in combat a ship is, only that it has a big scary gun. You can make an engineless husk that is carrying a laser or railgun and build a couple of dozen of them to make sure that the PPV rating for Sol is high enough until you build an actual space navy.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 09:18:59 AM »
If you want cheap space objects that count for security and also could conceivably be useful, a missile pod made of mostly box launchers might do well?

Pretty sure it would mollify the public even if the launchers are empty and you haven't designed a missile to load in them - though obviously you'd need to change that before using them as any kind of security.

But yes you can also garrison a cheap infantry formation and that will hold things down for a while by repressing the unrest.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 01:28:41 PM »
Personally, what I use for PPV is beam or missile fast attack craft. You only need like 4-5 for most colonies, and they are pretty quick to build

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 02:10:34 PM »
Code: [Select]
Cougar class Fast Patrol Craft      396 tons       17 Crew       78.1 BP       TCS 8    TH 8    EM 0
2022 km/s      Armour 1-4       Shields 0-0       HTK 4      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0-0      PPV 3
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 79%    IFR 1.1%    1YR 6    5YR 97    Max Repair 23.1 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required   

Magneto-plasma Drive  EP16.00 (1)    Power 16    Fuel Use 189.74%    Signature 8.0    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 10 000 Litres    Range 2.4 billion km (13 days at full power)

10cm C3 Infrared Laser (1)    Range 30 000km     TS: 4 000 km/s     Power 3-3     RM 10 000 km    ROF 5       
Beam Fire Control R96-TS6000 (SW) (70%) (1)     Max Range: 96 000 km   TS: 6 000 km/s    ECCM-1     90 79 69 58 48 38 27 17 6 0
Stellarator Fusion Reactor R3 (1)     Total Power Output 3.1    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor AS23-R20 (1)     GPS 420     Range 23.3m km    Resolution 20

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Fighter for auto-assignment purposes

The following users thanked this post: undercovergeek

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 02:34:05 PM »
You should probably cut the deployment time on those, they're probably paying for that and half a month would be more than they'll ever get value from.
Personally, what I use for PPV is beam or missile fast attack craft. You only need like 4-5 for most colonies, and they are pretty quick to build
Other than noting mine are specifically fighters and built from fighter factories once I figured out the design, same.

Though mine aren't just there to keep the populations settled, they also fight (and often die) repulsing real threats.

Missile fighters certainly seem able to deliver more PPV at lower cost - and if you're prioritizing cheapness they're less likely to be made incapable of contributing anything by weak engines.

This one is never-fielded and intended to partner with a carrier class also never fielded rather than being a budget garrison unit, but it might well be my most-optimal garrison candidate...if I got around to building a collier to distribute munitions.
Code: [Select]
Anaconda class Heavy Fighter      500 tons       2 Crew       145.3 BP       TCS 10    TH 200    EM 0
20003 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 1      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0-0      PPV 4.8
Maint Life 0.99 Years     MSP 25    AFR 100%    IFR 1.4%    1YR 25    5YR 380    Max Repair 100 MSP
Magazine 32 / 0   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3.3 days    Morale Check Required   

Sosrodihardjo-Martohartono Aero Inertial Fusion Drive  EP200.00 (1)    Power 200    Fuel Use 873.46%    Signature 200    Explosion 25%
Fuel Capacity 49,700 Litres    Range 2.05 billion km (28 hours at full power)

Size 4.0 Box Launcher (8)     Missile Size: 4    Hangar Reload 100 minutes    MF Reload 16 hours
Sugiantoro & Sudiro Missile Fire Control FC32-R18 (1)     Range 32.1m km    Resolution 18   ECCM-2
Soemardjan-Sugiantoro Kinetics Addragwyn II Anti-Ship Missile (8)    Speed: 37,600 km/s    End: 11m     Range: 24.7m km    WH: 5    Size: 4    TH: 125/75/37

Prasetyo-Pamungkas Active Search Sensor AS4-R1 (1)     GPS 6     Range 5m km    MCR 449.6k km    Resolution 1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Fighter for auto-assignment purposes

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 02:44:02 PM »
A couple of notes on PPV:
  • PPV from ships is a per-system value, not a per-colony value. If you have armed warships in Earth orbit, for example, they provide PPV for Luna, Mars, etc. as well.
  • If you play with "a certain spoiler race" on, you will need capable armed ships in any colonized system for local defense purposes.
  • Unrest can arise from other sources, most commonly overcrowding, and in this case ground troops remain the best way to rapidly eliminate such unrest as PPV will not counteract these sources.
Based on this, especially since 2.0 released I have not found it worthwhile to build cheap PPV ships which are not capable on their own. It's a waste of resources and in some cases shipyard space that could be used to build more capable ships that can serve in actual combat roles. PPV is also usually very easy to obtain, if you have an acceptable combat force (even a frigate or cruiser for patrol), you most likely exceed the colony's PPV requirement anyways.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 04:12:56 PM »
PPV is also usually very easy to obtain, if you have an acceptable combat force (even a frigate or cruiser for patrol), you most likely exceed the colony's PPV requirement anyways.
This depends on the scale of colony I think. My extrasolar colonies in my current game, yes - currently the biggest is under 24M and would be pacified by a single example of my 7500 ton 32 PPV 'cruiser' types easily, or by a very understrength fighter formation of just 2-3 craft.

The 417M on Europa, on the other hand, demand 142 PPV. Since they're covered by the main fleet anchored over the homeworld, that's no problem. But anywhere else I'd need to post at least 5 cruisers to keep them happy, whereas my standard squadrons to completely overkill the spoiler race problem are only 4 cruisers and I could probably shut down real incursions fine with just one or two, especially in my latest iterations of the type.

If you had a colony running into the high hundreds of millions in a place where it wasn't exposed to a real enemy attack, you might have reason to bulk out its PPV with budget-conscious options alongside a small patrol force.

But in the OP's case you...definitely might want to go for a real home fleet rather than pure showpiece ships. Not doing so can get rough.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »
The 417M on Europa, on the other hand, demand 142 PPV. Since they're covered by the main fleet anchored over the homeworld, that's no problem. But anywhere else I'd need to post at least 5 cruisers to keep them happy, whereas my standard squadrons to completely overkill the spoiler race problem are only 4 cruisers and I could probably shut down real incursions fine with just one or two, especially in my latest iterations of the type.

If you had a colony running into the high hundreds of millions in a place where it wasn't exposed to a real enemy attack, you might have reason to bulk out its PPV with budget-conscious options alongside a small patrol force.

Usually, for colonies that are getting into the 100s million range I usually have these be at least minor fleet bases (outside of Sol), so I don't have PPV problems in those cases. Such colonies also usually merit a significant ground force presence to defend such important sites.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 06:20:32 PM »

Usually, for colonies that are getting into the 100s million range I usually have these be at least minor fleet bases (outside of Sol), so I don't have PPV problems in those cases. Such colonies also usually merit a significant ground force presence to defend such important sites.
It depends on your astrography of course but I'd expect at least some such colonies to be in internal positions where I wouldn't see a purpose to parking a fleet. Especially if you can find a nice cul de sac to settle.

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 09:21:16 PM »
Civilians do not care how viable in combat a ship is, only that it has a big scary gun. You can make an engineless husk that is carrying a laser or railgun and build a couple of dozen of them to make sure that the PPV rating for Sol is high enough until you build an actual space navy.

also known as Orbital Mind Control Lasers