Author Topic: Comments Thread  (Read 17160 times)

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: Comments Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2019, 11:05:35 PM »
Yeah the People's Republic of Terra is probably going to have to flex its military muscle in order to secure extrasolar mineral deposits, since it's well on its way to being the last to survey and claim any system. We might see an early war. Maybe it won't even take place in the solar system. Also if the spy ship are discovered people are going to start asking a lot of questions....And it might just spark a massive paranoia crisis in Sol. (I can already imagine the rings of patrol crafts and jumpy officers seeing something blip on their sensors and obliterate a civilian ship that had forgotten to turn on it's transponder).

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2019, 03:58:34 AM »
This is quite interesting.

I rather hope Steve will find some "Roleplay" reasons not to have wars early on. I am much more interested, for now, in the expansion process. Also the explorarion, because I hope to see an NPR rather soon.

The systems in the immediate vicinity of Sol do not have much minerals. But well, maybe they have jump points situates in such a way that other systems behind them are "close" to sol

Very much looking forward to further updates.

Incidentally, I think Terra is looking stronger and stronger. They may have lower tech, but those numbers.... even the military is quite large. Of course, if they were to attack someone else, other powers might jump on in...

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2019, 04:58:29 AM »
All aspects of the game are interesting and Steves AAR:s are always great reads, almost as good as playing the game myself. But what I really hope for now is a war involving both space and planetside fighting. I think this campaign got a near perfect setup to make that happen.

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
I'm really hoping for some "low-intensity conflict" over some of those resource-rich asteroids, or maybe an "accident" involving some live-fire exercises and the ELINT spy ships.  I think it would be great to see two or three powers with an unspoken agreement to keep all conflict outside of the Sol system, but fight some nasty brush wars in Luytens or Wolf 359.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:03:11 AM by Father Tim »

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »
If I were playing Terra, I'd bide my time until either Mars or Jove got stuck in with some unlucky NPR, then descend on the homeworld(s) with my troop carriers while fleet assets are away.

Contrariwise, as Mars or Jove I'd be really paranoid about Terra doing just that; maybe even to the point of some pre-emptive strikes on Terra to cripple the industry to maintain my advantage.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »
I hope we get a shooting war with both space and ground action in Sol before the powers start evacuating their assets outside of Sol.  8)

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2019, 11:52:23 AM »
I want the Jovians to lose their smeg when they're big scary ships get swatted.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2019, 05:17:17 AM »
I hope we get a shooting war with both space and ground action in Sol before the powers start evacuating their assets outside of Sol.  8)

Yeah, I hope they don't try to evacuate. In every campaign in which Steve has done that the evacuation ended the game, as no power dared a war, and those evacuations took forever, so you just had several years of absolutely nothing interesting happening and Steve ended the campaign.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2019, 06:16:17 AM »

Yeah, I hope they don't try to evacuate. In every campaign in which Steve has done that the evacuation ended the game, as no power dared a war, and those evacuations took forever, so you just had several years of absolutely nothing interesting happening and Steve ended the campaign.

There is no real pressure to evacuate, except for perhaps the Coalition who are out of space to easily grow and have vulnerable populations, although with over sixty large orbital habitats, they have much more freedom in terms of destination.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
Can there be a kind of stand-off / Trench war on the same celestial body between two opponents? If I get it right, you need Ground supply to fight with some efficiency (only for attack but you always defend at full strength?).
So in theory, you can have 2 opponents on the same body for months? That would be neat!

And if yes, how the celestial body economy works in case of disputed territory? Are you hampered by enemy presence? Or until your last soldier dies, your industries work at full capacity?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »
Can there be a kind of stand-off / Trench war on the same celestial body between two opponents? If I get it right, you need Ground supply to fight with some efficiency (only for attack but you always defend at full strength?).
So in theory, you can have 2 opponents on the same body for months? That would be neat!

And if yes, how the celestial body economy works in case of disputed territory? Are you hampered by enemy presence? Or until your last soldier dies, your industries work at full capacity?

Yes, it could last for months. Once supplies run out, the rate of combat is reduced. On a world with good defensive terrain, it could be a war of attrition.

At the moment, you hold on to everything except for collateral damage. I might change that once I have more experience with the combat system.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, Garfunkel

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
The way the ground mechanics look to be programmed now, on terrain that favours vehicles (desert, barren, ocean, basically anything largely flat and featureless) combat is likely to be short and favour the attacker because orbital fire support is just that much easier and the defense can't stack its defensive bonuses so well. On terrain that favours infantry (mountainous, forests, jungles, or worse, mountainous forests and jungles) the combat greatly favours the defender because orbital fire support is nearly useless while defensive bonuses can be stacked to ungodly heights. It also allows the defender to build up massive supply stockpiles, far greater than the attacker can bring in unless they've effectively won already, and possibly allow for a reversal of the space war that allows the defenders to receive reinforcements.

This doesn't mean that the defender will lose in terrains that favour the attacker or the attacker will lose in terrains that favour the defender. It just means you need to keep in mind what sort of units and how many units you deploy in a given circumstance. It's entirely possible for example for an attacker to not actually enter an aggressive posture on a jungle world and just stack their own fortifications as high as possible just as the defender is doing and slowly grind away at the defender as a result. I'd strongly advise this unless you have a definite tech advantage, or you can bring in large numbers of ground forces and keep them in supply.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:04 AM »
About that, can both side benefit from fortifications and bunkers, or any defensive work? That would be an important part of the game I think.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2019, 04:29:56 AM »
About that, can both side benefit from fortifications and bunkers, or any defensive work? That would be an important part of the game I think.

Yes, both sides can be fortified. Units choose between front-line attack and front-line defence.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2019, 04:58:09 AM »

Yes, both sides can be fortified. Units choose between front-line attack and front-line defence.

Well that's going to be interesting. So if both sides are defending, do they still take damage ? (Small engagements, ect, essentially attrition warfare) Also, is it possible to have a special attack where your units "siege down" an enemy position, by using only artillery to attack ? Kind of like the massive artillery duels of the Great War.