Author Topic: Nebulas and Lagrange Points  (Read 2874 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Nebulas and Lagrange Points
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:28:54 AM »
Nebulas
Do players explore nebulas as a routine? Do you design special grav survey vessels? I ask because I found a Class 25 Nebula (100 k/s limit) early in the game and ten years later its still only half surveyed using my current grav survey design (level 1 armour).

Lagrange Points.
I have yet to find more that one per system as yet. What is the likelihood of finding more than one super Jovian in a star system?

Regards
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Nebulas and Lagrange Points
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Lagrange Points.
I have yet to find more that one per system as yet. What is the likelihood of finding more than one super Jovian in a star system?

Regards

Likewise. I've not sent anything through it, since it seems to need two. I might sacrifice a small ship just to see what happens. Or maybe I could convince one of those civilian ships it's a shortcut.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:12 AM »
Likewise. I've not sent anything through it, since it seems to need two. I might sacrifice a small ship just to see what happens. Or maybe I could convince one of those civilian ships it's a shortcut.

Erik - You do need two or more, it was the frequency I was inquiring after. I have now found one system with three Lagrange points after exploring about 53 systems, the only system I have found with more than one; they do make a nice short cut, but still found several systems where the second component is effectively out of reach.

Regards
IanD

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:37:34 AM »

Erik - You do need two or more, it was the frequency I was inquiring after. I have now found one system with three Lagrange points after exploring about 53 systems, the only system I have found with more than one; they do make a nice short cut, but still found several systems where the second component is effectively out of reach.

They only appear for superjovians so it depends whether any SJ are in the system. I could also add LP to very large gas giants as well but I wanted to err on the side of caution initially. I would be interested to hear people's views on whether the number of LP should be increased.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:01 AM »
I finally also found a couple systems with 2 points.

The single points seem... useless. Maybe you can make it so they can jump to a jp also?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

The single points seem... useless. Maybe you can make it so they can jump to a jp also?

Interesting idea, although it would have to be a one-way trip or you would be able to move between all the jump points in a system instantly by using the LP. It would also reduce overall travel times considerably which would have a big impact on the game.

I don't mind the "useless" single points as they are plenty of useless planetary bodies as well. They are just part of the background scenery for the game. However, I might try to increase the overall number of LP , probably through adding them to large gas giants.

BTW, I have changed the time calculation on the Fleet window so the time & distance for all orders takes intra-system jumps into account.

Stev
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:36:54 AM »
Steve - can the Lagrange points be numbered on the F12 screen just so its easier to pick the right one. After all they are numbered on the F3 system screen.

There is a "problem" with ships not taking a Lagrange intra-system jump when given a conditional order to refuel. The ships are down to their last 20% and they want to take the long way home with no chance of success  :cry: .  I always have to manually reroute them (and often organise a tanker to meet them).

While on the subject of conditional orders I find that they are being issued for the system a ship starts the turn in, so if a ship then transits into system X it still has a conditional order (or perhaps the original order) saying transit into system X. This does nothing for their navigation skills; they appear then to go off on a random vector.

Regards
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 06:42:42 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

I have added some code to check systems after creation and remove single lagrange points. A system will either have 2 or more LPs or none at all. I have also added LPs to large gas giants as well as superjovians. The requirement for now is a mass of 200, which is double that of Saturn and about 65% that of Jupiter. I'll see how that goes with playtesting.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:08:17 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:04:05 AM »
Steve - can the Lagrange points be numbered on the F12 screen just so its easier to pick the right one. After all they are numbered on the F3 system screen.

I have changed the way LPs are shown on the F12 screen. They now appear after jump points as LP1, LP2, etc (corresponding to those on the system map) with the name of the associated planet shown in parantheses.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 07:07:35 AM »
There is a "problem" with ships not taking a Lagrange intra-system jump when given a conditional order to refuel. The ships are down to their last 20% and they want to take the long way home with no chance of success  :) but I will get to it eventually.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
AM stop playing and waitn for 3.2
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 12:37:54 PM »
So am stop playing and waitn for 3.2
And re-born all campaign races.
Am boring from Civilian's idiots bad planning,monster messagge and definitely some things around.

See ya when ur 3.2 come in.

any idea to date?:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by waresky »