Author Topic: 3D Models  (Read 4553 times)

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
3D Models
« on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »
First post, so to begin I'll say I'm loving Aurora. Takes me back to my Harpoon days.

Just for fun I wanted the ability to actually "see" the ship creations I was making in Aurora, so I began to create a series of 3d models of each component.
The idea was to create something that is essentially a "snap together", where I can plug modules onto a generic (modularized) hull. Google Sketch Up provided the best tool for that. Right now I've got a little over 30 components modeled (though not yet skinned). Sizes of each are based on generic specs (size 1 vs 100, etc.). I realize that as the tech increases, the sizes change, but this at least gives me something to visualize.

Here's a link of what I've got so far:
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... ist&num=50

Once I have the complete set (most of the industrial/civilian items are done - now on to weapons), I'll post the Sketch Up document so people can use/change/add to them.

Enjoy!

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: 3D Models
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
Nice, Waresky will now proceed to have a heart attack methinks :)

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »
I would just like to say...

That is SO FRIKKIN' COOL!  :mrgreen:
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
Very nice  :D
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »
Looks really good. Are you planning to try and put these together to see what a ship would look like?

Steve

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
Yep. The idea is to have a modularized hull that the individual components "snap" onto - all done within Google Sketch Up. So when I build a ship in Aurora, I can then grab the components in Google Sketch Up and build a visual representation of the ship.

It's kind of along the lines of Galactic Civilizations. They have a nice interface that allows you "build" your own ships, though in theirs its mostly cosmetic. They don't have near as many functional components as you do.

The plan, once I'm done, is to open up the Sketch Up file to players here so they can take it and run with it for their own game.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
Oh, just had a thought: I think Steve has mentioned before that he regards the ships as being spherical, due to the way he codes the behavior of armor. Or am I remember incorrectly?

Probably not a biggie, easy enough to abstract the armor into any shape you desire and still use the Aurora logic.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Oh, just had a thought: I think Steve has mentioned before that he regards the ships as being spherical, due to the way he codes the behavior of armor. Or am I remember incorrectly?

Probably not a biggie, easy enough to abstract the armor into any shape you desire and still use the Aurora logic.
The assumed spherical shape of ships is just for ease of calculations such as armour area and volume. For gameplay purposes, the more imagintive shape the better :), as long as players accept the fact that different shapes won't have any game impact.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
Quote from: "the-isz"
First post, so to begin I'll say I'm loving Aurora. Takes me back to my Harpoon days.

Just for fun I wanted the ability to actually "see" the ship creations I was making in Aurora, so I began to create a series of 3d models of each component.
The idea was to create something that is essentially a "snap together", where I can plug modules onto a generic (modularized) hull. Google Sketch Up provided the best tool for that. Right now I've got a little over 30 components modeled (though not yet skinned). Sizes of each are based on generic specs (size 1 vs 100, etc.). I realize that as the tech increases, the sizes change, but this at least gives me something to visualize.

Here's a link of what I've got so far:
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... ist&num=50

Once I have the complete set (most of the industrial/civilian items are done - now on to weapons), I'll post the Sketch Up document so people can use/change/add to them.

Enjoy!
Cof cof...cof...Argh!...3d..cof...SLUUUURP..Yuuuummy!...ARF ARF Bauuuu!!!

Ehm..return to "Normal Waresky Mode On"

:mrgreen:

AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!
 *griiiin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..God..if ONLY Steve can USE them..
sigh...am become hungry..sigh...(O_O 3d!!!! GUYS...THREE D!!)

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
The assumed spherical shape of ships is just for ease of calculations such as armour area and volume. For gameplay purposes, the more imagintive shape the better :), as long as players accept the fact that different shapes won't have any game impact.

Spherical shape is actually good design for spacecraft built in orbit.  Minimizes the surface area.

I'd expect it to be used more often by commercial designs than warships, though.

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
Yeah, I considered the spherical design, but it wasn't going to be as interesting. Much more fun playing with blocks. :)

This weekend I'll start working on the various weapons and other items. From my list, I've got around 16 more items to create. Then skinning.

More when I have it....

Offline Decimator

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Spherical shape is actually good design for spacecraft built in orbit.  Minimizes the surface area.

I'd expect it to be used more often by commercial designs than warships, though.

Why would it be used less by military designs?  Spherical means the lowest edit:highest mass for surface area, which means armor is more efficient.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:10:26 AM by Decimator »

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »
Quote from: "Decimator"
Why would it be used less by military designs?  Spherical means the lowest mass for surface area, which means armor is more efficient.

Very true, but I suspect that some large weapon systems may force a more linear shape.  Aurora doesn't yet have anything like a Traveller spinal mount that I know of, but even so. :)

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
Not only would a lengthy Ship Allow to mount enormous Mass Accelerators (I still want an Anti-Capital Gauss Rifle Fireing 100 Ton shells),
It would also be a lot easier to build and maintain.
Also, you don't need as big a jumpgate.

Of course it's way more fragile or uses more material, but it has it's advantages.

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »
A few new components added (Cloak, Active Sensor, Power Plant, CIWS)

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... YTZi&hl=en

:)