Author Topic: Production Overview Window  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Production Overview Window
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
The next version of Aurora (v5.70 at the moment) features a new Production Overview window. This is something I have developed for Newtonian Aurora that I have now added to Standard Aurora. It allows a player to look at all of his industrial projects, research projects and shipbuilding from all populations on a single window. Items that will complete within 3 months are highlighted in green and items that will complete within a year are highlighted in light blue. There are four tabs - one each for Research, Shipbuilding and Industry and a fourth called Imminent Events. This last tab lists all items from all three sectors that will complete within three months, ordered by estimated completion date. This allows a player to quickly look at all of his major production tasks and see when they will be completed. It also has a subset of the time buttons so you can advance time from this window.

In SM Mode, you can look at all Research, Shipbuilding and Industry tasks from all player races on the same window, which will make keeping track of multiple race campaigns MUCH easier. If you click on a task (either in player or SM mode), the Economics window will open for the appropriate combination of race, population and tab. Here are some screenshots from the NATO vs Soviet Union campaign using this new window in SM Mode.

Steve

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
Re: Production Overview Window
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
Woohoo. Now I don't have to worry about forgetting that research project\build queue out on the fringe.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Wow, that is definitely going to help with multiple faction games.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
Looking good!

Does this mean that you are still playing at the NATO vs Soviet game or was it just handy to use that existing game for the examples?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
Looking good!

Does this mean that you are still playing at the NATO vs Soviet game or was it just handy to use that existing game for the examples?

At the moment just using it for the examples. I haven't decided whether to try to get back into it or not yet as it is quite in-depth and I haven't touched it for several months

Steve

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
Wow, that's VERY nice, especially for multi-faction games! That will save a lot of race swapping!

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
This just hugely rekindled my passion for Aurora. Awaiting the update!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »
Will it be possible to transfer a game from 5.60 to 5.70? This feature would be insanely useful as I'm currently running a 11-player conventional start on Earth game on another forum. Restarting is not really an option.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »
Will it be possible to transfer a game from 5.60 to 5.70? This feature would be insanely useful as I'm currently running a 11-player conventional start on Earth game on another forum. Restarting is not really an option.

Generally speaking, no.  Someone used to create update scripts for SA that you could run in Access to update the databases, but even then it was a somewhat fragile process.  The problem is that Steve makes changes to the tables incrementally on the fly, without a trail of breadcrumbs (since that would increase the burden a lot), so it's difficult for someone to come in and reverse engineer a big-bang change.

John

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »
Well, I'll have to try this out when Steve releases it and if it's as good as I think it'll be, I'll have to manually "transfer" the game, ie create a new game with proper techs and so on. Hope the players won't mind a little break in the game  :)