Author Topic: What's the game like?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Snaphaan (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
What's the game like?
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Hi everyone

I've read some interesting discussions about the game but mostly from people who have only scratched the surface it seems.  I'm just curious how this game plays out much, much later. 

• Do you find yourself swepped up in epic battles or does the game rather focus on skirmish battles?
  • Do you feel overwhelmed with all the management at a later stage or does the game implement more macro-management style mechanics at that point? I'm thinking along the lines of Distant Worlds.
  • What's the longest game anyone here has ever kept up?
  • Do you find yourself running into same-old same-old repetitive tasks at a later stage? What I mean is, some games have a tendency to be very engrossing and then midway seem to fall apart because there is nothing to do.
  • What's the best part, the I-can't-wait-to-get-there-part of the game that motivates you to meticulously build up your 'space opera'?

I've downloaded the game, installed it without too much hassle and printed the manual/tutorials.  So I'm reasonably set on mastering this game and pretty excited about it.  These questions have just popped up as I was reading up and exploring people's opinions about it.  Maybe my imagination (or hopes) are running away with me.   ;)

Anywayz.  Thanks for your time!

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: What's the game like?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
Answers in order:
Yes, also yes. You will usually be skirmishing, but planetary assaults and fighting the "home fleets" of other empires is pretty epic.

You are going to feel overwhelmed with micro management in the late game, to my knowledge there aren't a lot of ways to streamline stuff. Though contingency orders and the "repeat' option does help a bit. Basically if you don't love micro, you will hate the late game.

Not sure, i think there are a couple people who have gone over a century, I personally haven't done more then perhaps twenty years.

There can be points where it feels like there is nothing to do, usually when it is taking forever to find something to fight, or locating habitable worlds. Just keep advancing the time increment and eventually that will end.

Not sure if there really is a "best part" I think if you use this as a tool to support fiction you will get more out of Aurora, being able to design a narrative around what happens in game. Though it is very satisfying to see your ship designs work as intended.

Best of luck learning to play, there are a few tutorials, including a video one floating around the boards somewhere as well which you may want to look at, but always ask questions, even if they seem stupid to you, this game catches you up in the strangest ways sometimes.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
As Panopticon said, you will fight epic battles and skirmishes. Of course part of the fun is sending in your "epic" fleet and realizing it's smaller than the enemy's scout squadron ;)

Some of the micro can be managed out. Automated officer assignments, conditional and standard orders help a lot. Set up a survey squad to autosurvey with standard orders, then all you need to do is tell them what system to go to. Cycling orders and civilian contracts help too.

I think Waresky has hit 150 years or so. My personal longest game was around 70 years.

The repetition comes in when you have 10 survey fleets out doing locust surveys of the galaxy. Sometimes keeping track of those can get a bit tedious.

The best parts for me would be the exploration and that moment when my first attack fleet engages their first enemy. That moment will tell you if you are on the right track for your design philosophy or if you need to write that fleet off, redesign and start a build-up and hope the bad guys don't get to you before you can fight them off.

And "master". HAHAHAHA. I firmly believe that no one masters this game. Not those of us who started the day Steve released it to us, or even Steve himself. ;)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
...and every obtainable tutorial and manual available barely scratch the surface.  I read them all and read a vast amount of player fiction (Steve's NATO VS Soviet Union fiction campaign is an excellent read and also extremely informative on effective designs and doctrines) and still was completely lost for the first several games I played.

Don't be disappointed at complete annihilation or the realization it would be easier to start over then to try and right the sinking ship that is your empire the first several times.  Chalk it up to training.

Offline Snaphaan (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:10 AM »
Sounds very promising!

@Panopticon
I'm alright with micro-management. 

Planetary assaults? That could be another question.  What does it that all entail?

Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=4772. msg48211#msg48211 date=1333397188
I think Waresky has hit 150 years or so.  My personal longest game was around 70 years.

How long did that take you?

Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=4772. msg48211#msg48211 date=1333397188
And "master".  HAHAHAHA.  I firmly believe that no one masters this game.  Not those of us who started the day Steve released it to us, or even Steve himself.  ;)

Quote from: xeryon link=topic=4772. msg48212#msg48212 date=1333399307
. . . and every obtainable tutorial and manual available barely scratch the surface.   I read them all and read a vast amount of player fiction (Steve's NATO VS Soviet Union fiction campaign is an excellent read and also extremely informative on effective designs and doctrines) and still was completely lost for the first several games I played.

Well, seems I'm in for a treat.  I read somewhere that the developer Steve actually focuses on the 'fun' aspect of the game and that the depth and complications are a side factor.  O_o Crazy. 

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:39:47 AM »
When I say planetary assaults, I meant attacking an alien empire's homeworld with the intent to crush their fleet and PDCs, then force the population to surrender either by landing immense numbers of ground forces or by bombarding the planet with nuclear missiles. The latter is easiest, the former is the more profitable.

Hostile interactions with the NPR's in the game usually begin with a scout ship or two being destroyed when they stumble across a colony or home system.

The next phase tends to be sending a fleet in to see what is there, if it is a young colony world there may not be many defenses, in this case you are likely to take it over and get some information on the other race, some idea of its technology level and perhaps even some of the layout of the empire, you get this by picking up escape pods, forcing colonies to surrender, or by landing espionage teams on a colony and having them try to steal info.

However, if you run into a strongly held system, your fleet will likely meet a premature demise or be forced to retreat depending on your tech level and numbers. Most NPRs devote tons of resources to their space fleet, and fighting 50 or more ships at once might not be unusual.

So there follows a period of fleet building as you adjust your technologies and ship loadouts as well as increasing your fleet size. The next incursion into their system you are likely to win, but now you have the dilemma of what to do with the inhabited planets and civilian fleet, which will annoy you by moving in and out of sensor range and making your time increments not advance properly.

The worlds still have shipyards, and will be producing military vessels as fast as they can, you can destroy the shipyards if you like, but they take a good chunk of firepower and you might want to capture them instead, this requires ground forces.

Lots of ground forces, the higher the population, the harder it is to force a surrender, to say nothing of the ground forces the NPR might possess.

You can reduce the ground forces needed by reducing the population via orbital bombardment. But that will also damage planetside industry and raise the radiation and dust levels on the planet, also if they build a ship or PDC during this time they can and will shoot missiles at your ground forces, making you wait even longer and tempting you to destroy the shipyards.

Once you win, then you get the races technologies, most or all of their existing ships, full knowledge of their surveyed systems, and everything on the planet as well as their shipyards.

And all it cost you was a few in game years of work, and hours of micromanaging space combat! Mind you I find it extremely satisfying to look at the combat log and see "ship takes 8 damage from your awesome missile of awesome, ship is streaming atmosphere, ships thermal signature has changed from a lot to less, ship has been destroyed" And so on.

More than likely as well is if the NPR has been around for a bit they have probably met some other aliens too, and might even be fighting a war with them! Putting you in the position of figuring out where yet another empire is and getting defenses in place.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 04:00:45 AM »
How long did that take you?

I want to say that game lasted a couple weeks of play.

Offline Lost Wookie

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:12:03 AM »
Quote from: Snaphaan link=topic=4772. msg48231#msg48231 date=1333441270
Sounds very promising!

@Panopticon
I'm alright with micro-management.  

Planetary assaults? That could be another question.   What does it that all entail?
An example from my current campaign: My Celestials had been harassed by the Eredenn since within five years of the campaign's start.  Using a fleet of pickets at jump points I determined their home system and launched an attack when the battle fleet was finally complete & trained.  This was 2055, about 30 years in.  Expecting an epic battle against the aggressors, I arrive to find nothing but wrecks.  Seems another NPR was pissed at the Eredenn and had beat me to the punch.  The homeworld remained, nuked clean of any industry whatsoever.  In the wrecks in-system, I found a damaged ship of the aggressor NPR and chased it towards a jump point.  Got a bearing on his course home and destroyed him.  Found the other NPR two jumps away as I landed ground troops on the Eredenn homeworld.  No resistance; I was saviour, not conqueror as intended.  So, my major NPR home system assault turned into a minor skirmish with an eerie, 'Aliens'-kind of feeling, sorting through the remains of the fallen. 

Five years later, the other NPR has launched attacks on the claimed Eredenn system with 30kton+ warships (against the 15kton vessels of my fleet).  I am building a generation of new ships to attack his home system.  His system, named Junction, is quadrinary and contains no less than 9 colony cost 4 or less worlds, and his ships are faster than mine.  This time, I think I'll get my epic home system struggle.

Fun part about Aurora is, I'm not really concerned with fighting his home fleet when I arrive.  What really concerns me is, when I show up, his system will be full of wrecks .  .  .

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:08:21 AM »
And then the stable wormhole appears.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »
I am up to 156 year with my Brightstar game, it not so much about time but expansion really and speed you do things. Admittedly I did have to change the database several times with the new version.

However if I was to do 155 years now, my tech and production would be far more advanced Brightstar game was my first delve into Aurora.