Author Topic: More n00b Questions!  (Read 1246 times)

Offline C4lv1n (OP)

• Petty Officer
More n00b Questions!
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »
1. I have a ship in orbit around Earth, it has orders to go to asteroid #38 and that is it's plotted move. It also says that it's moving at 1045 km/s. But it has not moved away from earth, I've done 90 days of turn and it still hasn't moved. Bug? Ship can't hit escape Velocity? Here it is:
Code: [Select]
Major class Mining Vessel    28,700 tons     410 Crew     588.4 BP      TCS 574  TH 600  EM 0
1045 km/s     Armour 1-83     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 13 MSP    Max Repair 120 MSP
Cargo 10000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   
Asteroid Miner: 2 module(s) producing 24 tons per mineral per annum

Nuclear Pulse Engine E1 (6)    Power 100    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 100    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 62.7 billion km   (694 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

2. Does anything have a negative cost, IE: can I lose money/resources without any gain? (Ships, infrastructure, etc.)

3. In the same vein as #2 is there any cost associated with putting down colonies? I've been putting down colonies on anything with minerals, even if I'm not going to start mining for a while, good? Bad? Neither?

4. I recently finished the construction of a construction factory, the thing is that while one was added to the number I had, it stayed in the que and I had to remove it by my self. I still got it but I was wondering why it was stuck. It said that it would be complete on whichever day it was then and it was at 0.0018 of one factory left to build. It also stopped the Research station below it in the que from being built. Known bug?

Steve is a pretty cool guy, he makes games and doesn't afraid of anything.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: More n00b Questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
#1  It looks good, did you check the speed on the task force screen (F12 key)

#2  Nothing in this game is without a cost, with the exception of ships there is no fee to have the installations built.  Ships do have a maintenance cost that needs to be payed.  Either in minerals directly if they are at a planet with enough mainenance facilities to support the ship.  The other way is to build the maintenance supplies and have them on your ships.  There is another cost involved with everything however, that is the minerals themselves, they do run out and if you build the wrong stuff you can end up backing yourself into a corner.

#3  Designating a colony does not cost you anything.  There are a couple of side effects to be aware of.  If you want a civilian mining colony to start up then you can not have a colony designated already.  Also anything with one of your colonies on it can not be interdicted from your civilian shipping.  There are times that this will make a difference. 

#4  This is not really a bug, just you have not finished the production.  If you had given it a 5 day cycle then the last little bit would be finished and the reasearch lab would have moved up.  This comes about as the completion date is actually an approximation.  The factory would be finished sometime on that day, and your build cycle probably kicks in at 0001 hours for the day.  Therefore you have just a tiny bit of the factory not finished untill the next build cycle (default is approximately 5 days but not exactly.  On the game parameters there is a box to change it also.)

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: More n00b Questions!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
#1  It looks good, did you check the speed on the task force screen (F12 key)

Also check you don't have any ships in the same task group that are in a shipyard, or being overhauled.

Steve