Author Topic: Federation Campaign Comments Thread  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Federation Campaign Comments Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2023, 03:37:16 PM »
I'm probably not going to continue this campaign now, but I will leave it up for the ship designs, etc. I played about seven years and it allowed me to test the v2.4.0 changes, but never seemed to really take off.

Perhaps, could be a good time to release patch 2.4.1 then  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2023, 11:28:38 PM »
I have a hard time roleplaying peaceful nations early on since I need to find pretense to make weapons, so I just added a pirate player faction with some rules for them, but the new raider stuff seems neat for that as well.

I think it's not too hard to justify weapons, after all, "if you want peace prepare for war" is a common and arguably correct saying. IMHO, the harder part of playing peacefully is that NPR diplomacy is very limited, even if you find relatively peaceful NPRs there is no way to get them to recognize or negotiate borders, for instance, besides claiming a system and hoping they will accept the claim. Pretty much any more complex treaty is right out, nor can there be some coordination of fleets between allies.

With multiple player races this is all a moot point, of course, but I do dream of a more complex NPR diplomacy system someday...

Yeah I understand all that, it's not so much from the "peaceful among other nations" but more about first contact. Once I find ruins or precursors or such it's bets off, which can some takes a surprisingly long time. But I think it would be a bit strange if we developed warp drive tomorrow and immediately starting strapping lasers to our space probes, given what we currently know about the universe.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2023, 11:38:20 PM »
But I think it would be a bit strange if we developed warp drive tomorrow and immediately starting strapping lasers to our space probes, given what we currently know about the universe.

It would indeed be strange, but only because we'd be too busy strapping missiles to them instead.  :P

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2023, 12:55:44 AM »
Sad to see this one go, but looking forward to the next one. Especially if it's a Colonial Wars, Aftermath or NATO vs Soviets campaign remake...  :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 12:59:24 AM by Xkill »