Author Topic: Change Log for v7.2 Discussion  (Read 135676 times)

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
Re: Change Log for v7.2 Discussion
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
Titans sound really cheesy.  Just my $0.02.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
Titans sound really cheesy.  Just my $0.02.

They are cheesy, but also essential for a WH40k theme campaign :)

BTW once the C# version is finally done, I will probably create a 'Great Crusade' option, which will allow other human populations to be discovered. Rather than a species that matches the environment, this would allow humans as potential option if the world fell within human tolerance, or perhaps introduce some terraforming as part of system generation.

The following users thanked this post: firsal, misora, rorror

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
Mechs or titans would be be a natural progression from combat suits. It starts out as a small combat suit for soldiers and get bigger and bigger. A Mech is a more natural movement if integrated as a suit rather than a tank, with articulated arms and legs, it can step over object where a tank cannot, if function like a suit it can be used in a mountain environment where tanks cannot. A tank needs a crew of three and mech needs a crew of one, and if operates like a suit would be more combat effective in target acquisition and get the round of sooner, however target accuracy may go to the tank.

There are a lot benefits a tank has over a mech, but versatility is not one of them. So where money is not a problem and the ability to only deploy a small number of units upon landing on a planet, with varied and different terrains that have not been pathed, my option would be to send in mechs rather than tanks, as a heavy weapons platform.

However I think plasma weapons attached to power suited soldiers would probably make both the mech and tank obsolete.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #258 on: April 02, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »
However I think plasma weapons attached to power suited soldiers would probably make both the mech and tank obsolete.
Ways to make plasma weapons obsolete it to create an EM field and/or create armor in such a way as to distribute the energy over an area.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Felixg

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2016, 01:40:24 AM »
This. Aurora is largely a "hard SF" game engine (IMO). Giant mecha, which are one of the least efficient/realistic types of ground combat machinery, seriously break my hard SF immersion. But I can see the appeal for other gamers who want to get their Battletech/Warhammer 40,000/Gundam fix.

I always fluff my Heavy Assault battalions as mecha, there is nothing really saying otherwise. xD

Likewise there is nothing in the game that says the titans are giant mecha, and the names will have to be changed before release anyway to avoid GW coming down on Steve's head.

Your titan could be this

as easily as it could be this

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2016, 08:36:16 AM »
As a more fantastic orientated player, I of course like the addition of Titans very much, but I can also see why this can't be liked by everyone, so the ability to disable them for NPR is sensible.

BTW once the C# version is finally done, I will probably create a 'Great Crusade' option, which will allow other human populations to be discovered. Rather than a species that matches the environment, this would allow humans as potential option if the world fell within human tolerance, or perhaps introduce some terraforming as part of system generation.
That is an attractive addition too. I've been wanting to fake such games before, and just recently again as I started to watch a new(+old) Anime ("Legend of Galactic Heroes" from the 80s), where basically humanity is all there is in Milky Way.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
This. Aurora is largely a "hard SF" game engine (IMO). Giant mecha, which are one of the least efficient/realistic types of ground combat machinery, seriously break my hard SF immersion. But I can see the appeal for other gamers who want to get their Battletech/Warhammer 40,000/Gundam fix.
Unless I've missed something, these won't be a random anomaly with hardcoded graphics. They can be whatever your mind wants them to be.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
They are cheesy, but also essential for a WH40k theme campaign :)

I really hope the word option there means you can have a thanks but no thanks button!

40k is the last thing I want in my Aurora games!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2016, 07:10:35 PM »
I really hope the word option there means you can have a thanks but no thanks button!

40k is the last thing I want in my Aurora games!

Yes, definitely optional :)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2016, 07:04:26 AM »
Yes, definitely optional :)

Per request, I've split out a "Further Discussion on Titan Plausibility" thread, and added anything on Titans after this post to it.  I figured this was a good break point since once Steve said it's optional, those who don't like it can just turn it off.

Please put any further discussion on Titans in the other thread.

Thanks,
John

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
Hi Steve,

I follow you since 2010.  .  .  it was a long journey and I am glad seeing that now thanks to few unexpected let's play on youtube many are seeing the truth.   The truth is yours is a great game. 

I am excited seeing all the progress you have made so far and always keen in trying all the new balances/improvements you slowly add to the game.   I know very well what is behind all your choices, because you told many times.   You do Aurora following your thoughts and how you like to play, because first of all this is an hobby and you want this to remain an hobby. 

I have waited 6 years before trying to make a suggestion, just because I wanted to see where your free spirit would have guide us and this has paid off till now.   

Now that you are actually rewriting and adapting the code on a new platform could be good to have a sensible review on the diplomacy, but if something can be done on the 7.  2 version will be great anyway.   IMHO even if the game offer a lot of micromanagement it does lack in diplomacy options.   I like to play Aurora making up stories and Role playing with my heroes till the inevitable death and I would like to do so even while fighting our enemies. 

I know I am asking a lot, but the possibilities to make Federations, not only alliances; or some sort of cold war status where could happen to have a permanent war with border frictions not necessary causing an intergalactic war is always something in my mind while I play.   It is already a great game and I will survive even if it remains like that, but overhaul the diplomacy will be probably appreciated from the community.   The question now is: are you on the same page or you still thinking to keep this part on a side and remain focused on the core harpoon style game?

i know it is very reductive, because yours is a much deeper title than harpoon; I was just trying to give my words an understandable meaning.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:42:11 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2016, 07:36:45 AM »
I agree that Diplomacy needs a major overhaul and it should be a lot easier to do in the C# version. The concept of battles over certain systems rather than all-out war should be possible.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
Don't know how complicated you want to go with diplomacy, but some of the ideas of Europa Universalis are - nice -  ;)

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8152. msg89273#msg89273 date=1460205405
I agree that Diplomacy needs a major overhaul and it should be a lot easier to do in the C# version.  The concept of battles over certain systems rather than all-out war should be possible.
Have you decided on a way to do it yet? Something like every other 4X where the AI agrees to an immediate cease-fire after losing XX% of its assets, or a more involved system with cores, claims and wargoals?

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
Some concept of claiming uninhabited systems would be nice as a conflict driver if several empires could claim the same system. Could also lead to the limited war in/for the claimed system, until someone escalates it further.