Author Topic: Sony eReader  (Read 2565 times)

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Sony eReader
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
I am thinking of getting one of the new Sony eReaders, especially given my recent experience of having to throw away half my printed books through lack of space. Has anyone used one and if so, was it a good or bad experience?

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »
I have been considering buying the Amazon Kindle.  I've heard good things, but it is somewhat pricey.  I've always been dubious about e-book readers, but after our last move my wife consigned 2/3's of my book collection to the garage.  I've been sneaking them in bit by bit, but she's on to me now and I've got to find an alternative.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00:49 PM »
I use Mobireader on my laptop. If I recall, it's a free install, multiple platforms available, and you can store the books on a usb drive/flash card for transport between devices.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I use Mobireader on my laptop. If I recall, it's a free install, multiple platforms available, and you can store the books on a usb drive/flash card for transport between devices.

What appealed about the eReader was that it was small enough to carry in a jacket pocket. I often get bored travelling or stuck somewhere (waiting for a tournament to start) and having a book handy would be very useful.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
Re: Sony eReader
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:26 PM »
Steve,
    I have two different versions of the Kindle--the first and second versions,  thinking about buying the Kindle DX.  The Kindle II is frankly awesome--I have more than fifty books on it, to include a whole bunch of out of copywrite sci-Fi  H.Beam Piper's collected works are available for free, as are EE Smith.  (I cut my teeth on these books).  Still among my most appreciated fiction.  The Kindle I had some ergonomic problems that have been fixed on the Kindle II.  Only problem is very poor image resolution, and no color.  But on the Plus side no screen glare, and easy extremly easy on the eyes.  I read the Wall Street Journal on Kindle I and Kindle II and they are extremely easy to absorb at Breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Kevin Stubbs

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »
I have the Sony Ebook myself and have had no problems.  The battery will last for about a full day of reading as long as you do not read in the dark.  If you have to turn the light on it goes down to about 4 hours endurance.  I have about 60 books and documents on it.  Some of them are from my classes where professors have pdf or text documents that they assign.  It does not have any color capability and if you try to read something on a pdf file that has a page of pictures it does not work terribly well.  Other than that I have been very happy with it.  I use it for class work as I can put notes in it and do searches for text based documents.  This has been very handy when trying to look up quotes in the middle of class.  

Brian

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
I have the Sony Ebook myself and have had no problems.  The battery will last for about a full day of reading as long as you do not read in the dark.  If you have to turn the light on it goes down to about 4 hours endurance.  I have about 60 books and documents on it.  Some of them are from my classes where professors have pdf or text documents that they assign.  It does not have any color capability and if you try to read something on a pdf file that has a page of pictures it does not work terribly well.  Other than that I have been very happy with it.  I use it for class work as I can put notes in it and do searches for text based documents.  This has been very handy when trying to look up quotes in the middle of class.  
I have the Sony as well and I have been extremely happy with it. The battery life is excellent and I currently have 160 books on it, including the 100 free books - which I thought was a fantastic collection (currently reading Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth), my entire David Weber collection and even the Rigellian Diary :).

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:38:15 AM »
Quote from: "kdstubbs"
Steve,
    I have two different versions of the Kindle--the first and second versions,  thinking about buying the Kindle DX.  The Kindle II is frankly awesome--I have more than fifty books on it, to include a whole bunch of out of copywrite sci-Fi  H.Beam Piper's collected works are available for free, as are EE Smith.  (I cut my teeth on these books).  Still among my most appreciated fiction.  The Kindle I had some ergonomic problems that have been fixed on the Kindle II.  Only problem is very poor image resolution, and no color.  But on the Plus side no screen glare, and easy extremly easy on the eyes.  I read the Wall Street Journal on Kindle I and Kindle II and they are extremely easy to absorb at Breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Kevin,
Where is a good place to find EE Smith's books?  I've got 3 of his stories in hard copy and I'd love to join the dots up between them.
Welchbloke

Offline xtfoster

• Petty Officer
  • x
  • Discord Username: Bari#6471
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Kevin,
Where is a good place to find EE Smith's books?  I've got 3 of his stories in hard copy and I'd love to join the dots up between them.
Project Gutenberg has 7 or 8 of them Linky

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
Quote from: "xtfoster"
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Kevin,
Project Gutenberg has 7 or 8 of them Linky
Excellent link TVM  :D
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 04:51:37 PM »
I use Stanza on the iPod Touch, really easy to sync the eBooks onto the iPod over a wireless network and it handles multiple formats. You can also download eBooks directly to the iPod from webpages within the Safari App or through library links in the Stanza App.

The Baen website has a very good free library and there is a fansite (http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/) that hosts the CDs from hardback books. They contain whole series in eBook format. Honor Harrington being my favourite.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »
An update on the eReader. While I was away I read three novels (March Upcountry, March to the Sea and March to the Stars) plus part of Machiavelli's The Prince and the battery was still reading 50% full.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:52:41 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
An update on the eReader. While I was away I read three novels (March Upcountry, March to the Sea and March to the Stars) plus part of Machiavelli's The Prince and the battery was still reading 50% full.

Steve

What? You didn't read "We Few"?

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

What? You didn't read "We Few"?
I didn't realise I had it until I got back. I was looking for a fourth "March To" on the eReader and couldn't see it. When I got home I checked the internet and realised I already had book 4. I'll read it this week.

Steve

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »
Just don't make the mistake of thinking you will read to the end of the chapter!

robert