Author Topic: Question regarding AI  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Litcube (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
Question regarding AI
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:19:10 AM »
I have a question!

Does this game actually have AI?  I've been "playing" this game for roughly 16 hours, and haven't actually started yet, so I obviously haven't met anyone.  I'm still doing the tutorials, and trying to figure out if I'm an Ender Wiggin, actually controlling a live empire, or if this is just a game.

With the complexity this game affords, it occurred to me that this game might not actually have an AI.  Was there an AI programmed for this game to include opponents with the same capabilities and limitations as the human player, playing by the same set of rules?  If so, that's quite a feat, as most modern strategy games nowadays don't have even a fraction of the complexity of this game, yet still fail at providing a decent fight.

Any comments?

Offline Rathos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Re: Question regarding AI
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
Assuming you didn't set the AIs off on the game creation screen, there will be lots of the buggers. Surveying new systems is one of the most dangerous jobs, more so than a cruiser/battleship captain.  :wink:

I'm sure if you delve into some threads you'll see about us running into them and trying to find ways to beat them up.

Or give my thread a read, you can see the joys and defeats of several games I've played so far, most of which end up with me trying to force my way past a alien armada holding a choke point.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Question regarding AI
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
Quote from: "Litcube"
I have a question!

Does this game actually have AI?
If by "AI" you mean autonomous ships/empires run by the computer without any input from the player, "yes".
I've been "playing" this game for roughly 16 hours, and haven't actually started yet, so I obviously haven't met anyone.  I'm still doing the tutorials, and trying to figure out if I'm an Ender Wiggin, actually controlling a live empire, or if this is just a game.
LOL.  Don't expect to meet aliens right away - you might have to explore 10 or 20 systems before you run into them.  On the other hand, they might be lurking just on the other side of one of your home system's jump points!  :twisted:

John