Author Topic: What Year is Normal For;  (Read 1062 times)

Offline TheLastRonin (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
What Year is Normal For;
« on: January 29, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
Presuming a 2025 start what year is normal for the player to;

- Leave his own system.
- Start up a new colony.
- Build his first ship.
- Research important technologies.
- Etc.

I was just wondering if the fact that it usually takes me 10 years to leave my first system via jump gate was particularly slow and inefficient.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What Year is Normal For;
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
Quote from: "TheLastRonin"
Presuming a 2025 start what year is normal for the player to;

- Leave his own system.
- Start up a new colony.
- Build his first ship.
- Research important technologies.
- Etc.

I was just wondering if the fact that it usually takes me 10 years to leave my first system via jump gate was particularly slow and inefficient.

It depends completely on your setup...TN or conventional, how big your pop is, etc.  If you're talking conventional start, then 10 years sounds reasonable (if not a little quick) for getting a jump gate in place.  If you're talking TN start, then you'd probably include jump ships in your initial fleet, so this seems slow.

In my current campaign, I think I'm ~7 years in for a conventional start with 10billion population, and I just made my first warp transit (jump gates should follow within a year or so).

John

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Re: What Year is Normal For;
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
I've had games where it took me 10-20 years to find a habitable world.  Then on my current game my very first system I jumped into to explore had a colony cost 0 planet; the second system had a world that with a little bit of terraforming was habitable.  In fact in my current game I have 8 warp points from home system and, with terraforming, 5 of those systems have a habitable world.

What WILL take a long time is getting a world up to self-sufficiency.  The first colony in this game was in a system with few minerals.  The second colony was on a world overflowing with them, with decent accessibility.  It's taken me 40 game years to get this world to 400+ factories, about 600 mines, and a bunch of ordinance factories and refineries.  In the last 5 years or so they started building ships (because I towed in a couple of shipyards).  At times it seems like I've let all the other colonies go to bootstrap this one.  And I keep finding systems with habitable worlds...