Author Topic: A Question About Similar Ship Classes  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Execrated1 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
A Question About Similar Ship Classes
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
So, I was wondering what makes two ships similar enough for them to be built by the same shipyard? That's it, just the one question.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
Re: A Question About Similar Ship Classes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
It is solely based off of the cost of the ship that the yard is tooled for vs the cost of the ship you want to build. You can check in the ship design screen which other ships will be eligible for construction in a shipyard tooled for that design.

Offline Execrated1 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Yes, I know all of that, I was looking for specifics. How close in cost do they have to be?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
the cost to refit has to be within 20% of the ship class cost. so even equal costing ships can be barred from being additional classes if their components are too different.

Offline Execrated1 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:43:45 PM »
Perfect, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »
keep in mind that means that sometimes ships of wildly differing sizes can be refit. its only cost it cares about.

Some ships that are otherwise quite similar are typically outside refit range, i.e. identically configured passenger ships and troop transports.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
And often the tooling for one ship can produce the other but not the reverse, i.e. cargo and colony ships

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:52:47 AM »
Plus sometimes one generation of ships will work while another will not.  I could build the Bauxites and Colossus's interchangably but by the time I got the to the HP versions only one or the other could be built.

Offline Execrated1 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
I was asking because I'm gonna try to design variants for my Littoral Combat Ships. Currently they're just for keeping Mars and Europa happy about their protection level, but I'd like to be able to design a new series that can all be built by one or two shipyards.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:31:58 AM »
Mars at least will use the protection value for Earth and so too likely does Europa.  You might think about shipping over PDC components as well.  I can only say that so far (through 3 upgrades) my Terrier-Edmonton-Guardian-London's have all been interchangable to build.  So I would think you have a fairly good chance if the ships are relatively similar.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
I would say smaller ships are harder to tool for interchangeably, actually. With their lower build cost you can hit the maximum refit percentage cost a lot quicker.
As for actually designing them, plot out the one with the most expensive systems first.
Also the DAC tab can tell you what can be built from what tooling, as an fyi.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
There are a few tricks for keeping refit costs similar, namely you have to standardize equipment and try to insure that the differences between the ships are in low cost items.  Standardized sensor suites helps, as does having a relatively high proportion of engines/fuel. (Relatively less space for 'mission' gear).  For combat vessels it can help to have a standardized point defense suite of some kind but that only really works for larger vessels. 

Offline LucidHito

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • L
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
Hi, this is my first week playing this game and I'm lovin it but I can't figure out why my grav and geo survey ships cant be built at the same shipyard when they have the same BP and are identical in every way except for the sensors.  Am I missing something here?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
Grav survey ship is military vessel and geo survey is commercial vessel, so if you try to build your grav ship in commercial shipyard you will not be able to do it.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
Hi, this is my first week playing this game and I'm lovin it but I can't figure out why my grav and geo survey ships cant be built at the same shipyard when they have the same BP and are identical in every way except for the sensors.  Am I missing something here?

The fact that the two have the same total cost doesn't mean that you can build both at the same shipyard. What is important is the refit cost of going from one to the other, if that is more than 20% of the cost of the ship that the yard is tooled for you won't be able to build it there. If the geo/grav survey is a big component of the cost of your ship, it is easy for it to exceed that limit.