Author Topic: Population and Production Window- Stuck on Earth?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline lokilies (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
Population and Production Window- Stuck on Earth?
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:46:24 AM »
I'm posting this in The Academy rather than v6. 20 Bugs as I believe the problem is with me not the game, a belief that is reinforced after searching the forums and finding no other mention but I might be too new to hit the proper key words.   

The problem is that I suddenly can not select another population (colony) from the Population and Production window (including all the tabs).   I've exited that game and gone back to an earlier one (from the Game Details window not an earlier version) and had no problems, but on returning to the one with the 'stuck' window it still persists.   Have I checked some sort of lock population box or something similar that is too obvious for anyone else to ask about? 

I can't add much details as I was concentrating on my first contact with aliens (lost two scouts) and don't know what if anything started the problem.   I'm 11 years into my current game and it is the first one I've played longer than 2 or 3 years.

Thank you.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Population and Production Window- Stuck on Earth?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »
Are you playing on a dual screen system?  Some Aurora windows do not work properly if the secondary screen is to the left of the primary screen.  I had a similar problem with not being able to use the naval organization tab when it was on my secondary screen.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
can you not _see_ other colonies
or is it that clicking on them does not select them

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
If selection is the problem, try left click + right click on the colony.

LR
X
XX
X

I remember having to do that, though the problem fixed itself somehow.

Offline Mirage

• Leading Rate
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
I've had this problem a few days ago.    My guess is that it was a windows-related problem that somehow involved access to the database.   
The easiest way to solve it is by restoring your stevefire-file from a backup (before you encountered the problem, and backup your current version first before you overwrite it).   
However, that doesn't prevent it from occuring again.    Since then I've reinstalled Aurora in a folder other than Program Files, and I haven't had the problem since (Program Files has some weird windows administrator rights connected to it, which wreck havoc with database updating or restoring from backups).  If you have Aurora installed in Program Files, backup your stevefire save, reinstall Aurora in some other folder and put your save file in.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:08:44 PM by Mirage »

Offline lokilies (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
Quote from: davidb86 link=topic=5923. msg60581#msg60581 date=1361974664
Are you playing on a dual screen system?  Some Aurora windows do not work properly if the secondary screen is to the left of the primary screen.   I had a similar problem with not being able to use the naval organization tab when it was on my secondary screen.

Thank you all!  I was using a screen setup as describe.   I've change the position of the two screens (secondary now on the right) and as of now I can select the other colonies.   

Since Nightstar said that his problem fixed itself I will follow up in the Bugs forum if the problem reoccurs, and definitely start backing up the database.

Thank you all again!