Author Topic: Conventional start, 30 years in, constant interrupts....  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
Conventional start, 30 years in, constant interrupts....
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:14:14 PM »
Hello, I'm a rather new player to aurora.   This question regard a game started with version 6. 21

Though I don't have much experience (especially in combat), I like my games rough and I recently started a game with conventional start, and all the 3 big bads on (yes, even the guys who love to open wormholes.  .  .  .  ).  
After a rather slow start, I finally met the original NRP race, which completely out-techs me, and I even found 2 jumps away from my homesystem a nice stable wormhole.   So, I thought, things were interesting!

But I am suffering from severe interrupt problems.   Right now turns are very long (I am 30 years ingame and the database grew to 80 mb already.  .  .  ) so I usually set 1-day autoturns and come back to check things once every few minutes.   But in the last 3 game-months I've been having a ton of interrupts without reason given in the event log (not even activating SM mode).   Sometimes I can do 2-3 days just fine, others I get like 10 interrupts every day.   Since the turns are at least a minute each, this severely limits me because I can't do something else in the meanwhile, I have to stay at the pc clicking next turn once a minute.  

So my question is, is there anything that can be done to try to salvage my game? I played it quite a bit, but like this.  .  .  .   I did search the forums and found no possible solution, but trying to ask cost nothing :) (Well, I did find that 6. 30 should have reduced the interrupts due to precursors mine fields, but I'm playing 6. 21. . . )

Thanks in advance, if you need any more information I'll be happy to provide them.  

P.  S.   Another small question, I have not played for a bit. . .   but. . .   is it normal that I have 7 shipping lines and 1180 civilian ships? When I open up the shipping lines window, the game freezes for 10 seconds.  .  .   if I try to have the civilian contacts showing on the system map the game freezes for half a minute.  .  .  .   And apart from that, when I colonize a new planet my 500 or so civilian colony ships drop there 30 or more millions people after the first 100 infrastructure are delivered... kinda a waste..

P.P.S If my game is shot and I really need to upgrade to 6.3, just tell me so XD A pity though...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:39:59 PM by Zincat »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Conventional start, 30 years in, constant interrupts....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
There's nothing you can really do about the civilian ships, they can be a pain and really need some options for limiting their growth, also the colonisation mechanics needs some work. About the interrupts, it's likely that one or more of the spoilers are duking it out with your NPR or NPRs, you could turn off the invaders which should stop them from generating in the future, but any that are already floating around in combat will have to wait until the battle/s are over, which as you might have guessed requires waiting out the long periods of 5 second ticks. Oh also, you could turn down number of systems so no more NPRS generate until you're ready to meet them and turn the number back up again.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's what happening here.
If there were battles, at least from what I saw in my earlier games, I'd get long period of 5 and 10 seconds turns, but at least from what I saw before the auto turns would keep going on. There were no interrupts as far as I could see, just switching to shorter turns time, but the game would keep going on.

Here the game stops, even 10 times a day sometimes, with turns from 1 hour to 12 hours long. That's too long for a battle turn, right?

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »
I had several weeks with turn times being reduced to 1 day once, checking things in designer mode showed that an NPR had a gate constructor in a system with another enemy fleet, and the turns were getting reduced to one day due to "potential fleet interception" or similar. It eventually went away when the constructor finished the gate and left.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
There's really not much you can do about this sort of thing short of asking for the SM password and ID'ing and then dealing with the offending item.

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:05 AM »
There's really not much you can do about this sort of thing short of asking for the SM password and ID'ing and then dealing with the offending item.

I thought as much... Ah well, thanks for the answers.
Now if I only could find a way to reduce these civilian ships, maybe things would be shorter at least. Over 1250 civilian ships right now, and still growing...

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
Start a minefield inside your civilian shipping lanes :P
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Start a minefield inside your civilian shipping lanes :P

Wouldn't that attack any ship that passes through? I mean, I never did use mines but... I think they are not capable of picking their targets? So, anything that passes through will be killed, including my military ships, right? Also, most of them sits in orbit above my homeworld. I'd rather not lose all my shipyards XD

Unless of course there is a way to make them target only civilian ships... But in that case I could just use my beam ships...

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
If I recall correctly the increments will get reduced even if the issue isn't with any of your systems, if an NPR has a survey ship in another NPR system and it is showing on their sensors once in a while, that will also cause the interrupt. Or if they have a trade agreement, though i am not sure if NPRs can form trade agreements with each other.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
I thought as much... Ah well, thanks for the answers.
Now if I only could find a way to reduce these civilian ships, maybe things would be shorter at least. Over 1250 civilian ships right now, and still growing...

It used to be possible to "confiscate" civilian ships by using a tractor beam on them, and then scrap/delete them. It may still work, I'm not sure.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »
That's basically what I was referring to, I don't think steve would have removed this feature as it was only being used to removed bugged civilian ships or to pare down their numbers, also I think if you were RPing pirates in your systems you would find the tractors to be very useful.