Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267000 times)

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1485 on: June 26, 2016, 03:32:04 AM »
Needs a cluster of mines on the jump point and maybe a couple asteroid forts and you'll be good to go.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #1486 on: June 26, 2016, 03:34:18 AM »
Perhaps Carronade FAC and meson fighters to supplement your task force too.

Iranon

« Reply #1487 on: June 26, 2016, 03:46:51 AM »
Is it enough? Depends, destroying trespassers is not enough.
What a good jump point defence needs is microwaves and boarding teams.

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1488 on: June 26, 2016, 03:48:47 AM »
It'll be enough for now. I've researched some tech paths and totally neglected others. I went a little bit down lasers but I mostly focused on missiles, jump drives, and engine efficiency. Basically I'm not allowed to research certain things until I encounter them or am heavily invested in a war and the issue comes up during a fleet refit phase.
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #1489 on: June 26, 2016, 07:16:52 AM »
Got myself into a fight. Was just starting to feel confident as I was killing everything they had with missiles from range. Taskgroup was one jump cruiser, 3 missile cruisers and a destroyer with laser PD. Killing all but one of their ships before running out of missiles. Well, business as usual, let's move in and finish it off with the lasers from my destroyer.

Wham! WTF? They obviously have a new ship-ship missile since last time, too fast for my PD and anti-missiles. Suddenly I'm the one in trouble against that single Alien ship. Especially since the first ship they kill is my jump cruiser, I'm now stuck in the system and they have a slight speed advantage.

There is some chaos as I try dealing with the missile salvos. They get all my missile cruisers, eventually only the destroyer alive. And that is with no armor, no engines and no missile sensor left. It seems they ran out of missiles and are now closing in. The crew is working frenetically and manage to get one of the engines operational again. I'm worried they might have shorter range anti-missiles and finish me off with those, but nothing happens. Now they are not closing as fast as before, our lasers have a range advantage and they did eat a few of my missiles earlier.

I'm starting to score hits every 10 seconds, not much but they are adding up. And finally, boom, we got them. My damaged destroyer is now limping along alone picking up survivors among the wrecks of all the larger ships while hoping the next ship jumping into the system will be one of ours..

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #1490 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Got myself into a fight. Was just starting to feel confident as I was killing everything they had with missiles from range. Taskgroup was one jump cruiser, 3 missile cruisers and a destroyer with laser PD. Killing all but one of their ships before running out of missiles. Well, business as usual, let's move in and finish it off with the lasers from my destroyer.

Wham! WTF? They obviously have a new ship-ship missile since last time, too fast for my PD and anti-missiles. Suddenly I'm the one in trouble against that single Alien ship. Especially since the first ship they kill is my jump cruiser, I'm now stuck in the system and they have a slight speed advantage.

There is some chaos as I try dealing with the missile salvos. They get all my missile cruisers, eventually only the destroyer alive. And that is with no armor, no engines and no missile sensor left. It seems they ran out of missiles and are now closing in. The crew is working frenetically and manage to get one of the engines operational again. I'm worried they might have shorter range anti-missiles and finish me off with those, but nothing happens. Now they are not closing as fast as before, our lasers have a range advantage and they did eat a few of my missiles earlier.

I'm starting to score hits every 10 seconds, not much but they are adding up. And finally, boom, we got them. My damaged destroyer is now limping along alone picking up survivors among the wrecks of all the larger ships while hoping the next ship jumping into the system will be one of ours..
Careful with operations like this! When possible, you'd want to wait until life pod life support is just about to expire to pick up their occupants, mainly because once you have a ship with over 20% higher than crew allowance onboard, you begin to run the risk of life support damage over a span of time, which can leave your crew dead in the water if you can't get unloaded in time.

Meanwhile, in my current campaign, my missiles lost their target, and I was hoping their newly upgraded onboard sensors would allow them a wider engagement berth.

Talk about near-miss of the century...

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1491 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »
2nd system discovered in my newest game... well its quite big. That light blue line is the orbit comparison for those of you who don't know. Oh, also, there are around 100 planets and moons, and 500 asteroids.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1492 on: July 01, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
How the hell planet like this have colony cost zero ??
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #1493 on: July 01, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »
How the hell planet like this have colony cost zero ??
As one thing Aurora doesn't emulate is the health risk of Hypercapnia in any particular species.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1494 on: July 02, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
As one thing Aurora doesn't emulate is the health risk of Hypercapnia in any particular species.

Shouldn't Carbon Dioxide count as dangerous gas when there is more than 5% of it in the atmosphere ??
Or do i recall correctly that ANY amount of dangerous gas gives increased colony cost ?
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1495 on: July 02, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
CO2 is the only dangerous gas that doesn't actually negatively affect colony cost or anything really, sometimes I put a few percent onto a planet to simulate severe pollution.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #1496 on: July 02, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »

So it appears the 1,000 km/s 70,000 ton enemy mothership just farted through the nth dimension and achieved godspeed. I blame Langrange Points.

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1497 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:01 PM »
Just got a whole 3 geosurvey vessels TRASHED by ~8 unknown alien vessels.  Top observed speed: ~4500 m/s.  Thermal emissions ~730.  3 classes.  Really wierd active sensor designs. 

My gravisurvey ship detected over 30 strength 6 detonations and ran like hell for the Sol JP.  I'm building a DSTS to cover the JP on the closest asteroid. 
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1498 on: July 21, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
been playing a new Terran Confederation game.

My unarmed S-class Scout the TCNS Boaty McBoatface has had the misfortune of encountering aliens in Wolf 359.  It is being hit with Kinetic weapons.

Guess it time to see how my Ion Drived Navy does. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1499 on: July 21, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
The Battle for Wolf 359 is about to begin.  Lets hope my fleet does better then Starfleet.

unknown aliens Located in system.

Bravo force is of the following.

x2 Essex Class Carriers
x1 Revenge Class Crusier (Laser armed)
x8 Rio Grande Class FF (Anti-ship)
x8 Ural Class FF  (Anti-missile)
x16 Bunker Hill Class Corvetts
x8 Orion Class gunboats
x10 Mexico class bombers

Hopefully they can lay waste to the aliens, if not, it will be painful.
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0