Author Topic: Changing ordnance on ships  (Read 2487 times)

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Changing ordnance on ships
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:23 AM »
Is there any way to easily change the missile type that an individual ship carries ?

I have just upgraded a missile and constructed a quantity. Is there any way to load these new missiles into a vessel in place of the old variant or have I got to design a new version of the vessel which incorporates the new missiles ?

DavidR

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Changing ordnance on ships
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:17 AM »
Go to the Ordnance tab of the class window and specify the missiles you want ships of that class to carry. When you give that ship an order to reload ordnance at a planet or a collier, it will load whatever missile type is specified in the class window.

Steve

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:06 AM »
Steve,

Thank you - I was looking in the individual ship dropdown , rather than the class dropdown.

I can now mix and match variants of missiles with the same launcher size for different ships within the same class.

DavidR

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
Steve,

Thank you - I was looking in the individual ship dropdown , rather than the class dropdown.

I can now mix and match variants of missiles with the same launcher size for different ships within the same class.

DavidR

Ummmm no (at least not automatically) - all the ships in a class will have the same loadout.  There's a long-standing request in to Steve to have multiple "loadouts" per class, and set a particular ship/TG to a particular loadout, but he's not had time to get to it yet.

One other trick to make your life easier.  Let's say you have an anti-ship missile called "Tomahawk".  You then get better tech and design a new missile "Tomahawk 2" that is the same size, and fills the same role, but has better performance stats.  If you put Tomahawk 2 into the same missile series as Tomahawk (which is controlled from the missile design screen), then there's a button on the missile design screen you can use to change the loadouts for all your classes Tomahawk --> Tomahawk 2.  This saves a LOT of messing about on the F5 screen :)

The other nifty part is if a ship tries to reload and there aren't any Tomahawk 2 available, it will use Tomahawk instead.
John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
One thing that came up for me last night-- reloading FACs in carriers.  The carrier has some magazine space, but nothing came up on the ship design (F5) ordinance tab.  I could manually go in to the ship info ordinance tab, look at missiles at population, and load them onto the ship.  But now the FACs have 0% ordinance and I havn't figured out how to load them.  I tried turning the carrier into a collier to no avail...

Offline LtWarhound

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
First step: Make sure the F5 Ordinance tab is showing what missile loadout is supposed to be on the ship (each class, the FAC, the carrier, etc).  If its showing no missiles, then 0% is exactly what is supposed to happen.

Set the loadout for the class (do this when designing the ship, and after updating your missiles to new designs).  Then when you click the population/mothership/collier buttons, the system will look at the assigned loadout, and select those missiles (if in stock).

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
When designing a ship I sometimes get no options to add missiles, i find moving to another design and then back (to refresh what your looking at) does the trick.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
When designing a ship I sometimes get no options to add missiles, i find moving to another design and then back (to refresh what your looking at) does the trick.

This is the problem I'm having, but it has not been fixed by switching\duplicating the design in the specific case of the carrier.  I manually loaded the individual ships instead, and then the associated parasite FACs did not load from the carrier.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
One thing that came up for me last night-- reloading FACs in carriers.  The carrier has some magazine space, but nothing came up on the ship design (F5) ordinance tab.  I could manually go in to the ship info ordinance tab, look at missiles at population, and load them onto the ship.  But now the FACs have 0% ordinance and I havn't figured out how to load them.  I tried turning the carrier into a collier to no avail...

Two things:

1)  On the F5 ordnance tab, there's a checkbox with a name like "ignore launcher size". You need to check this box (or maybe uncheck a box with opposite sense.  The point is that carriers don't have any launchers, so Aurora is filtering them all out.

2)  There's a (unreported) bug in the auto-reload-parasite code such that it only looks at the exact missile type in the parasite's requested loadout.  So if your parasite wants Harpoon 2 and your carrier's full of Harpoon 1, they won't auto-load.  To fix this, go to the ordnance tab for each parasite (when the parasite's landed) and you can swap with the mothership.  Or you can use the pulldwon to change the swap target wo population, colliers, all ships, etc.

John