Author Topic: Genetic Modoification help  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Peter Rhodan (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Genetic Modoification help
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
I have searched for Genetic Modification info but found little apart from Steve's Homo Arcticus thread.
I have several found Genetic Modification centres - was toying with having a go at some stage - then I 'found' Genome Seq Base Oxygen +5% tech.
How do use my Genetic Modification Centres?  Do they just start converting people regardless as I cannot find anything that seems to be a control on production or is there a section I am too stupid to find?

I have a cold colony that can only get 1.4 so a cold modified race would go really well there...

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Genetic Modoification help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
First you have to design a New Species in the Create Research Project window (Ctrl+F6). Then you have to research that.

Once you've done both of those, you have to go to the Environment / GMC tab for the population with Genetic Modification Center(s) and select the New Species.

Population will then be converted at the Annual Genetic Conversion Rate shown on the Summary tab.

I should say I've never done this. I don't know where the converted population goes or how to get them somewhere else. Is a new separate colony/population created on the body? Do you have to create the colony?

Edit:

OK, I did it in my sandbox game. A new separate colony/population is automatically created. So, then it is a matter of have a colony ship load from that population. If they can't survive on that body then that population will need infrastructure.

The other option is to put the GMCs on the body where the new species will live and ship unmodified population there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:31:15 PM by Ziusudra »

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:02:19 AM »
If you have a extreme modification one or two orbital habitats may be helpful since they adapt to the needs of the populations. So say a low-grav species for moons (got me 3 additional colonies in sol) can survive on theyr Homeworld.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Peter Rhodan (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »
Thanks guys -  it was the Research the New Species that I was missing - now to research about -20 degrees....