Author Topic: Anti missile fire and sensor question...  (Read 1339 times)

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
Anti missile fire and sensor question...
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »
This goes for the fire control and making a sensor aswell....when building them do I make the max range just a bit more than my missile range or do I make them to the max range a size 6 missile is detected?

1. I could build a res 1 sensor which will spot a 50ton object at say 6mk yet a size 6 missile at 990k...so if my size one missile range is say 5.8mk would this sensor  do?

2. Or do I need to make a sensor which is something like max range 50 tons 23mk, size 6 missile 6.2mk...

I've been using the first option but this looks wrong as my missiles would only be firing at size 56 missiles at 990k...way to late....esp as they have a 5.8 range...

P.S these figures are guesstimates to quickly explain my question..

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Anti missile fire and sensor question...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »
The second.

Ideally, you want to be able to target incoming missiles beyond the range of your anti-missiles, as the incoming missiles are moving towards the anti-missiles. Though, that can make for a rather larger fire control and sensor, and can cause issues if the targetted missiles are not moving towards your anti-missile ship.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »
Active design does give you the detection range for size 6 missiles and that is the range to focus on not 50tons.  The rest of your query, whether to be able to only detect and track at max range or beyond, is an often debated subject.  It comes down to whether you wish to use the full range of the missile (AMM or AS) is up to you. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
The extra range on the missile detection sensor turns out to be kinda useful in spotting very small enemy ships at 15-25mkm.  Resolution 100 sensors can't detect, say, size 16 FACs until they're very close.  And I can tell you from experience that that's sometimes a very bad thing.