Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.14 or later (inc Spoiler)  (Read 12384 times)

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
I'd like to renew my request for a "start date offset" that can be used as a difficulty level.  The idea is that, in the startup screen, there would be an offset (in years) that would change the start date used for NPR stuff (e.g. tech level etc.).  In a 1 billion pop conventional start I would set this to 10 years, as this is about the time it takes me to convert all my industry and get ships off the ground.  So if my game started at 2300, and I had set the offset to +10 years, then the NPR would all act as if the game started in 2310.  The reason for this request is....

[spoiler:3rsmui9e]I just encountered the Firestarters in a conventional start.  About 8 years into the game, they showed up in my home system - I had just barely gotten a GeoSurvey ship off the ground.  I haven't yet seen any hostile acts from them, but I imagine there will be one :-) What I'd like is to be able to play a conventional start without being years behind the NPR in terms of tech level, or to have "bad guys" show up in my home system before I've even had a chance to get off the planet....[/spoiler:3rsmui9e]

John

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
Re: Suggestions for 5.13 or above (inc Spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »
I agree that there needs to be a delay option. With the current state of things, a conventional start seems to be impossible.

[spoiler:1kzkcf4t]In my current game, I'm barely three years into the game when the alien species shows up, beelines to earth and nukes me into the ground. Despite full focus on spacecraft research, I'm years away from fielding anything.  I chose the option to start without PDCs at start, but ICBM missiles wouldn't help, and developing a working TN missile and sensor still would have taken me longer then the three years I had.

At this point, my only option is to restore my backup and cheat with Spacemaster and put some defense structures in orbit to drive off the attackers.[/spoiler:1kzkcf4t]

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
Quote from: "Gyrfalcon"
I agree that there needs to be a delay option. With the current state of things, a conventional start seems to be impossible.
I hadn't fully considered the situation of a conventional start. I like John's suggestion in the other thread so I am going to try and find a way to implement that for v5.14

Steve

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
Now there are GMCs shouldn’t the Star Swarm leave carcasses which can be researched to yield advances in genetics? Perhaps there should be a new salvage module, the Bio-recovery module?

At one time Steve was talking about pre-TN starts having Mars capable spacecraft. Is there any chance of an advance on this axis?

Regards
IanD

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
Is this now the official suggestions thread for the current version?  Or is the 5.10 one still it?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Is this now the official suggestions thread for the current version?  Or is the 5.10 one still it?
I've made this the new thread. I have also removed the first few posts, which were mainly about the use of spoiler tags.

Steve

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.14 or later (inc Spoile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »
In that case, here's this suggestion again, so it doesn't get lost to posterity. :)  Perhaps you could even produce stupid, slave races that would do the opposite.

* Different modifiers - produce a gregarious race with high Diplomacy, or a soldier race with high Militancy and Xenophobia.  (The latter might get bonuses to troop strength, too.)

By the way, putting a training academy on the colony of another race should strongly influence what kind of graduates you get.  A smart race should produce a higher proportion of scientists (with bigger chances of high bonuses), and even the non-scientists should be more likely to have Geology bonuses and the like.  While putting that academy on a soldier race's colony would give you more officers, and ones more weighted toward command.

* Medical technologies that would extend the lifespan of commanders, or cure them when they fall ill.

* Biological weapons.  The cost of researching new plagues would depend on how specific they are.   :twisted: Like, you can pretty cheaply produce something that will affect all oxygen-based life (or whatever), but if you wipe out a planet with it, you won't be able to use it either.

On the other hand, for a lot of research points you could develop a plague specific to a particular race, but will (probably?) leave your own race alone.

I figure you'd mostly deliver plagues to planets via missile.  But perhaps there could be a ship-to-ship version too - if it breaches armor, the plague is delivered to the crew.  Meanwhile there could be defenses like extra compartmentalization, or well-stocked sick bays.

* Reduced cost of infrastructure, or extra bang from the infrastructure you have.  Terraforming efficiency and reduction of colony cost could arguably be moved to the Biology category, too.

* Oh - how about applying different themes to different races?  Or is this possible already?  (I'm not at my home computer at the moment.)

Offline randal7

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »
Apologies if this has been suggested (and shot down) before, but there's no way I have time to go through all those huge suggestion threads.

Probably my favorite thing about this game is that colony development is hard. No plunking down a few people and turning out battleships a few minutes of play time later; developing a colony that functions independently of the home world, rather than as an accessory, is an achievement. In that vein, terraforming is too easy. There is no incentive to do more than the bare minimum. A world that is the equivalent of the top of Everest or the bottom of Death Valley is equally productive to and populates as fast as the home world. There is no reason to terraform Mars, for example, because the civvies make you a ton of money hauling infrastructure on that short route and there are no negative effects from the uninhabitablity.

Now I don't have a well-thought out solution for this, other than to suggest adding some penalties/bonuses for distance from a perfect environment for the given species. That may or may not be a good idea; this game probably walks a knife-edge in this area as is, between hard enough to give a feeling of accomplishment and hard enough to be frustrating. And I've not played the new version with the bio-engineering to see how that effects this problem. I'm mostly just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:12:40 AM »
For Randal7.
Agree on little part of ur think.
Am in 2 project Terraforming caught in,and am so convicted r hard enough,take dozens years to completing.
Srry my english r near to horrible:)..

For me terraforming r good coding now.

Am play dozens campaigns..and "FOR ME" the MAIN suggestion possible are in ARMY field: am repeating every suggestion,am hope who Steve re-organize and re-manage whole sector of ARMY managment same as TASK Group window.

With HUNDREDS colonyes around..army in actual situation become very fast BORING nightmare situations.

my 2 cents.

THERE r too many people who havent play around in 2-5 colony maximum..
r too wrong: this game are HUGE..and when u venturing out and found dozens colony u found ARMY absolutely valuable,and NEED hurry re-coding.

Ty for attention

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:09:08 AM »
Steve.

hi Steve,sorry for criticsm somwhere,but am think the "usefull criticism" r understandable,no? :mrgreen:

Another interesting: Can set "Load Brigade and Associates Battalion" task group orders been made?

are useful for little "Police" operation around some Colony unrest prevention operations

Offline Octavian30

• Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »
Something different -

I've played with Roman names but there was only a very limited range of class names - are other 'specialty' games the same?
If so - for the Romans at least - can we email you a longer list of suitable names for you to include in the database for future releases?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
Quote from: "Octavian30"
Something different -

I've played with Roman names but there was only a very limited range of class names - are other 'specialty' games the same?
If so - for the Romans at least - can we email you a longer list of suitable names for you to include in the database for future releases?

afaik, Steve will take new themes or extensions to themes and add them for the next database patch.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
Steve -

I'm still using 4.77 for the Terran Campaign, so excuse me if I'm suggesting something that already exists.  

I'd really, really, like the ability to transfer cargo from one ship to another.  A fleet command would be preferable, or even the ability to manually transfer cargo.  

What I wanted to do was set up a deep-space carge transfer station, equipped with fuel capacity and cargo hold.  Cargo ships would then rendezvous with the station, refuel, transfer their cargo to the station's holds, then return to the origin.  As far as I can tell there is no way to do this as things stand.  

Kurt

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

I'm still using 4.77 for the Terran Campaign, so excuse me if I'm suggesting something that already exists.  

I'd really, really, like the ability to transfer cargo from one ship to another.  A fleet command would be preferable, or even the ability to manually transfer cargo.  

What I wanted to do was set up a deep-space carge transfer station, equipped with fuel capacity and cargo hold.  Cargo ships would then rendezvous with the station, refuel, transfer their cargo to the station's holds, then return to the origin.  As far as I can tell there is no way to do this as things stand.

Agreed!  I've been on the verge of suggesting this for some time.  Freight depots on jump points would be handy things to build.

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Has taking command of civilian shipping on a temporary basis/rent been suggested before? As in real life, in some situations the Military/Government take command of civilian shipping to move supplies or troops (or even weaponising them) in times of crisis. While i'm not suggesting the ability to plug a gun onto freighters in emergencies, I would like to be able to requisition cargo ships to move emergency supplies around when I have no cargo fleet available. Alternatively, a feature to rent the time for use of civilian freighters would be good, as I often seem to find myself short a few cargo ships in critical times ( such as hastily shifting defences from one planet to another)