Author Topic: Rebel Empires  (Read 1712 times)

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
Rebel Empires
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
Could be a side effect of the revolts on planets not maintained well enough. A 'If you are not taking care of us, we will take care of ourselves.' Sort of thing. Colonies stop sending money and resources, and eventually you lose sight of the area as they splinter off to form their own Empire. Have there been any thoughts for something like this?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Rebel Empires
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
I hate it, generally, when planets rebel and break away.  Its usually unfun.  Going to zero productivity is fine.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
It's unfun?
What other fun would there be when you lack enemies?
Nothing better than finally some incentive to care.

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
Sounds good. Just as long as the revolts don't happen over minor things, and the revolts are contagious. It would give punishments to abusive empires that treat their citizens poorly.

Though this suggestion would likely require a better population happiness simulation before it can be added, though.

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
Colonies could band together and revolt all at once.  In one instant you lose half your empire.  Civil war!
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
I didnt even think about contagious revolts. I suppose that brings to mind a new use for espionage teams. Spark a revolt, sweep in, take the rebels under your wing.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:37:37 AM »
Its usually unfun because in many games, it requires some large expenditure (rec centers, indoctrination centers) to maintain colony happiness.  Such centers do nothing else, and its just a base expenditure in "hammers" required for any colony.  Basing happiness on military protection is kinda nice, because it fits well with local defense garrisons and what not.

If revolts are included in some way thats interesting, super duper!

I do like the idea of using espionage teams to purge heretics.

Or, as I would call them, Inquisitors.

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:36 AM »
It would seem logical for such a rebel planet to use, at least at the begining, the same technology than loyalist troops. Same ships designs, true war of brothers !

Often, when a rebelion happen, rebelious troops tend to have old patern equipments (like freedom fichters with AK-47 nowadays on earth or rebels with modified civilian corvettes in star wars) : wouldn't it be great to see a rebel planet protected by a bunch of old ships that you have labeled as obsolete for your own fleet and which are back in space in enemies hands ?

Sounds great to me.