Author Topic: Batteries and Fuel-cells as new Powersource?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Mel Vixen (OP)

• Commander
Batteries and Fuel-cells as new Powersource?
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »
What it says on the tin.

I atleast would like to see alternative means of producing energy for my weapons so i thought that Batteries and Fuelcells could be a nice Techs to diversify Power & propulsion a bit.

Fuelcells

Fuelcells, just like engines, would use Fuel to produce power for your weapons. They should do that rather efficiently thus the amount of produced energy should be a bit higher then the corresponding Reactor. The building costs should also be lower in terms of TN-mat usage.

The disadvantage of this Tech would be the higher fuel consumption of the ship which, on the long run, would also make the fuelcell the most expensive way of producing power.   

Batteries

Batteries wouldnt be a 'generator' but a form of rechargeable energy storage just like your average Litium-ion cells. As such they would store a certain amount of energy per HS (say 50 on the lowest level) which can be used in battle but 'runs out'. A battery also should "discharge" faster then a reactor (or fuelcell) produces power and wouldnt need crewmembers to be operated. The downside is that it is very limited

The "recharge" of a ships batteries could be done either by a onboard reactor (/fuelcells), another ship with a reactor or a colony with a Spaceport/Shipyard. This should take some time thought like 10 units of power per hour.   

The "dis/recharge speed" could be improved over the capacitor Tech-line. 

The Batteries would mean a interesting change in construction of smaller ships since you could use a undersized reactor or even no reactor at all. For low-power weapons, say small lasers and Railguns on fighters this could be a good alternative. Fuelcells on the other hand could be usefull if you are low on on TN stuff except sorium. 
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Batteries and Fuel-cells as new Powersource?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
Interesting idea.  I am not sure how they would work out without doing some testing.  I like the battery idea, especially for fighters.  One heavy shot and then they need to go home.

Brian

Offline Deoxy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:51 PM »
Interesting idea.  I am not sure how they would work out without doing some testing.  I like the battery idea, especially for fighters.  One heavy shot and then they need to go home.

I think that should be doable without a battery, as lasers, etc, load via capacitor, then hold that shot until they use use it, then they need power to reload.  One should be able to load that power in the carrier.

I don't think you actually can (I haven't tried it), but it makes sense, and as I understand it, beam-armed fighters are already far too underpowered to be useful, so they could use a bump.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
But battery would be nice, providing some equivalent to box launchers for beam weapons. I like that idea honestly. As for fuel cell, well, I just think reactor should consume fuel and/or engine should consume power (I always wondered how it is possible for Ion Engin, Nuclear Pulse Engine and Antimatter Engine to use the same fuel.)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »
You aren't really talking about batteries here.

You're describing Supercapacitors; that is, capacitors with high power density.  I would conceive of a supercapacitor as a device that must be recharged on a ship, and go through several discharge cycles, with astonishingly short reload times, before needing to return to the ship to recharge.

Super capacitors never have the energy density of proper batteries, and never achieve the potential difference of proper capacitors.  They're currently a hot topic of research as a technology for helping to bridge energy generation\storage challenges for solar, wind, and electric car technologies.

A great concept for beam fighters.

Offline Mel Vixen (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Well actually both Batteries and Super-caps have theyr advantages and they could easely be part of the same tech-line. We also have Tn-tech and mats so i guess Supercaps being better then say Litium-ion cells can be handwaved.

Properly sized i guess a Battery/Supercap could very well power a small frigate for a fight or two. Could be neat if the reactor gets blown up or some form of longer "fireburst" apart from the first salvo.  

/offtopic

For storage of renewable power i myself would prefer Methan-synthesis because atleast my place (germany) has a good Natural gas network, big gas-storages and tons of surplus energy. (hey we must have because our renewables passed nuclear in Therms of GWH)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:18:39 PM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:43:34 AM »
A warmly welcome from Earth Admiralty to all Newly Officers,here:)

Every Years new Officer come..and a nice awesome interesting idea come also..

U r all Welcome,mates.

"Strenght and Honor" "Earth never fail"

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 06:30:02 AM »
fuel supplies how about a solar sail ( gas giants have the same he3 type fuel as is given off by solar winds) it could allow advanced tech ships to capture small amounts of solar wind and extend their range and recharge their fuel supplies)