Author Topic: Mining stars for fuel  (Read 3100 times)

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
Mining stars for fuel
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:19:26 AM »
Gas giants have soranium but what about stars, any plans on introducing fuel to stars perhaps orbital fuel stations harvesting stellar objects as well as gas giants.

Well we can always setup fuel stations and mass driver-auto mated mines etc but stars in some way being the center and creation have some form of future harvesting built into the game engine

Offline hikkiko

• Leading Rate
  • h
Re: Mining stars for fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »
I'm not sure but gas giants are just clusters of gas while stars have some reactions within them.  And you have to deal with plasma and extreme temperature.

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
a good point now u make it , still id like to see some roles for stars.  Not sure what yet youre point about them being giant reactors could perhaps at some point include he3 type for energy power or something or maybe this whole suggestion and line of thought is a dead end.

Arent stars also big gravity wells

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
brown or maybe even black dwarves we might mine, because there won't be nuclear fusion going on.  But by the time we get tech to mine stars in aurora, one might as well get dyson spheres too

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
"Dyson spheres, in it's original concept, weren't solid shells, but flexible arrangements of satellites.
Which we could do today if we find enough resources, we just have no way yet to use that energy.

Nuclear fusion happens mistly in the stars core, the suns surface, for example, is roughly 6k degrees hot, so if you can build a scoop long enough, say, 100m, and attach it to a smeg going fast enough to avoid being pulled in, or just ignore gravity like TN ships do, it should be reasonably possible to mine potential fuel from stars.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
"Dyson spheres, in it's original concept, weren't solid shells, but flexible arrangements of satellites.
Which we could do today if we find enough resources, we just have no way yet to use that energy.

Nuclear fusion happens mistly in the stars core, the suns surface, for example, is roughly 6k degrees hot, so if you can build a scoop long enough, say, 100m, and attach it to a smeg going fast enough to avoid being pulled in, or just ignore gravity like TN ships do, it should be reasonably possible to mine potential fuel from stars.

The problem is that stars don't have a definite 'surface' like that, their atmospheres just slowly diffuse. A 100km long scoop won't do you much good, let alone 100m.

There are theoretical ways to mine a main sequence star for mass, but they're megascale engineering projects.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Schlock Mercenary has the "Buuthandi" I think they were called, essentially balloons "pressurized" by the solar wind, with structures "hanging" off the inside surface.

Also a bit off topic, but
... attach it to a smeg going fast enough...
I don't see how a smeg going any speed is going to help you mine a star. :P

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
Schlock Mercenary has the "Buuthandi" I think they were called, essentially balloons "pressurized" by the solar wind, with structures "hanging" off the inside surface.

Also a bit off topic, but  I don't see how a smeg going any speed is going to help you mine a star. :P

The smell should distract you from the heat :)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
The smell should distract you from the heat :)

In space, no-one can smell your umm dookie?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
Get it close enough to a star and you might. That kind of temperature is sure to do untold things to your space dookie. A dookie plasma if you will.

It's the ultimate version of the burning paper bag of dog poo.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »
The density of the Sun's Chromosphere is about half-a-millionth of one kg/cubic meter. For comparison, the Earth's atmosphere at sea-level is about 600,000 times denser. Mining the Sun's atmosphere would be a very slow and tedious process.

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:09 AM »
Could work as a late game technology where planets starts to dry up.  Keep the game alive for longer, especially in smaller galaxies where there is not always a new system to exploit.   

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 07:36:43 AM »
Dyson spheres, in it's original concept, weren't solid shells, but flexible arrangements of satellites.

Wouldn't it be more effective to just harness the radiating energy in this fashion and convert it into fuel, then trying to actually "mine" for fuel?

The basic principe is that if you can turn fuel into energy, you can do it the other way around aswell.

Offline Falcon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:51:09 AM »
Or have some line of extremely efficient engines that don't require fuel, just some reaction mass. Their power would then be supplied by solar cells - think of it as an advanced ion engine. Sure they wouldn't be much use on a military vessel, but making your civilian vessels free from fuel consumption could be worth it.

Offline Decimator

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
I like the idea of mining brown dwarfs for sorium.  They're just Super-Superjovians, after all!