Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267739 times)

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »
During the investigation of a col cost 2 plant in the 4th system I discovered, a NPR (I am assuming) jumped me. Their first salvo hit my Missile Destroyer, Fletcher, with 47 strength 9 warheads... And yet she emerged intact, albeit crippled. My return fire from my remaining 4 destroyers and the 3 operable launchers on Fletcher obliterated one of the enemy vessels. In fact, it only took 3 of my strength 8 ASMs. The remaining 40 self-destructed. Note to self: Put passives on next version of ASMs. My next salvo was spread out among the 5 remaining hostile vessels (beating a hasty retreat at 7700km/s), and destroyed all of them. Turns out they were just FACs. Next course of action... Return to the Fletcher and nurse her injuries, then continue advancing on the planet.

Damned sight better than my first Aurora engagement...Granted, that one was against precursors.

Update: Three 7600t vessels just appeared on my area sensors.

Update: All three destroyed, apparently from outside their missile envelope. A 4th 7600t vessel, of a different class, appeared during the engagement. Closing to engage.

Update: "Star Dragon" destroyed. 1 fleet salvo. I just realized there are no escape pods. Perhaps not an NPR. 1 week to the planet. We shall see.

Update: Strength 5 thermal contact on the planet. Leaving fleet in long-term orbit pending construction of troopships.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:17:38 PM by Admiral666 »

Offline Sarganto

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
Just conquered my first planet from a low-tech NPR.
Turns out, there are no factories, no mines, nothing at all on the planet! I just got a planet with 380 Million of these little buggers:

Species: Mazatlan
Gravity: 0.52 to 1.55
Oxygen: 0.081 to 0.325
Temperature: -67.5 to -11.5

Damn! They would surely love Siberia. I could use them on so many planets, where I would just have to add 0.081 oxygen to the atmosphere and that's it!
But do I really want to make them an equal species to my humans? Or even the dominant race?
Something to think about while I am at work tomorrow...

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »
I refuse to allow aliens to spread beyond the worlds I conquered from them.  Set em to stable and let em sit on that rock for aeons!  Preferably working thousands of mines, factories, or refineries.

The stars are for humanity!  (And really, unless you really need pop on one specific world, do you really need so many colonies that the race would enable?  at least until we can let the graphics processor run aurora's civilian industry processes to keep such things chugging along :D)

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2012, 02:11:14 AM »
It is not even what they would enable, but more what time it would save me. Just adding 0.08 oxygen instead of 0.1 AND heating a planet up to 0 degrees costs a lot of time and effort, at least over a decade or two of concentrating all my terraforming stuff in 1 place.
Instead, it just takes 2-3 years with everything I have to add that oxygen.

It would just be very convenient.

Alas, they might be savages or even worse - hippies! - that should not make it into space with their planet having no industy at all and so on. Which I feel is not really realistic. I might add some conventional industry via SM mode to get rid of that "this is wrong" feeling.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2012, 02:55:30 AM »
Or just ship them a bunch of mines and factories because they've been, you know, liberated, and now have the freedom to manufacture goods for you.  Without pay.

Offline Shaitan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:27 AM »
What do you mean with out pay? They're being generously paid a (moderately) hearty meal a day, and gifted a roof over their head! (The roof of the factory admittedly)

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:14 AM »
For my fiction game not much is happening. Got around to making ship designs only to realize I don't have any engines.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
For my fiction game not much is happening. Got around to making ship designs only to realize I don't have any engines.

I think this speaks volumes regarding the level of bureaucracy within your fiction government!

Offline OAM47

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
Nearly the exact opposite happened in my fiction game (not yet posted this far).  I made carriers by "accident".  Planetary defense bases, but needed a way to get fighters from one to the other, so was just going to make a fighter transport.  Turns out I had a ton of room left over, so slapped just about everything else an actual carrier needs on...

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
So I decided to add some basic industry to my recently conquered planet, as it made no sense to me that they had tons of Low-Tech infantry, but ZERO industry and almost 400 mio inhabitants.
Added 50 construction factories and 25 mines, just to give them SOMETHING to do, while waiting for 5 Jump Gates to be built which will connect that system to Sol and enable transports from there. That's what you get for not putting jump drives in your freighters.

And a quick noob question: Where can I see my wealth? I know where I can see my revenues and expenditures, but not my current $$$ in my account.

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
Top of the industry/everything window, like, top of the border?

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
Top of the industry/everything window, like, top of the border?
Duh, never looked there. Thanks.

I am almost finished now with terraforming Mars and a second colony that already started with a breathable atmosphere and just 0.26 colony cost because of low temperature.
Sadly, Mars only hold 0.6 Duranium and 0.4 Gallicite and the other planet has 0.5 Duranium and 0.1 accessibility on everything else.

At least I can use them to build MMMMMMMORE infrastructure in the future to colonize this beast:
Duranium: 318.402 - 0.5
Neutronium: 29.241 - 0.7
Tritanium: 17.689 - 0.5
Boronide: 36.100 - 0.4
Mercassium: 207.936 - 0.3
Uridium: 1.669.264 - 0.9
Corundium: 2.547.216 - 0.5
and I didn't send a geo-team there yet!

Only problem...the sun is shining a weee bit too hot there. Surface temperature is 309.1° --> colo cost 12
I don't even know if it is possible to cool it down enough, but every little would help. As it is, I would need 1200 infrastructure to support 1 million people. Yikes!

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
Scroll down on that terraforming list, and you just might find a special gas that will help with your high temperature needs.

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Scroll down on that terraforming list, and you just might find a special gas that will help with your high temperature needs.
I know, there is Anti-Greenhouse Gas...whatever that may be.
But as I know, there is a limit to the maximum of gas you can pump into the atmosphere of a planet. So I wonder if I can actually cool that thing down to ~44°C or whatever earthlings like.

On a different note, one of my geo-survey ships got destroyed by precursors. I found a jump gate in the system of my recently conquered planet but it seems like there is none on the other side. Alas, there were precursor ships. And precursor !!FUN!! has been had.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
There is a positive cap on the Greenhouse Factor, but not a negative one. You can cool down a planet as much as you want with enough Anti-Greenhouse Gas, and it won't even take excessive amounts.

The real problems arise if the planet has huge existing atmospheric pressure like Venus.  You're way better off if its skimpy on atmosphere then trying to deal with a Venusian environment.