Author Topic: Solarian Empires - Part 6  (Read 9824 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Solarian Empires - Part 6
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:12 AM »
I see jump gates as stabilized wormholes, as if a jump engine has done a permanent job. If jumpgates were some kind of space station it would  need materials to be built, personel and it would be destroyable (and there would not be natural jump gates).

My recollection is that this is official canon, as of a discussion ~3(or a lot more?) years ago.

John

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
Look at it this way, Jump engines are finely tuned for a certain ship size, they operate in one short burst then have time to cool down. Whereas a jump gate is massively overpowered to the extent that any size ship can fit through, and support nearly infinite volume of traffic, whatever physics bending tricks a gate needs to operate in thus way would surely have severe side effects to not only electronic systems but one should assume also biological entities. Whereas a military vessel needs to avoid as much as possible anything that could affect highly sensitive and dangerous equipment, even to the extent of their engines being a tenth as powerful as commercial drives, but being far more sensitive, redundant, and one would assume safer.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »
But ... but ... *I* literally jumpgate everything.  Why waste hull space on jump drives for anything but grav survey boats?

I like RPing jump tech as really hard. I never use jumpgates and have taken to not researching beyond the minimal jump tech so my combat formations are built around a dedicated jumpship with a big crude jump engine. So I'd rather enjoy some way of limiting or preventing AI jumpgate spam.

More recently I'm been scenarioing ruins-rich with the aim of only using recovered jump drives, tho these plans are on the back burner because I thought it would be fun to do a non-sol star in the companion of a binary 9400 AU distant and, uh, gonna be a while before I've colonised the inner system to the extent of supporting exploration. :p.

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »
My recollection is that this is official canon, as of a discussion ~3(or a lot more?) years ago.

John

I probably read it in an AAR and forgot about it.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:18 PM »
I'd prefer simply making them destroyable.  Some big structure that stabilizes a wormhole.  It could be rather like attacking a shipyard or orbital habitat.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 01:03:59 AM »
I also think a physical gate should be present, at least so theres some tactical consideration in regards to defending your gates or destroying enemy gates.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
I also think a physical gate should be present, at least so theres some tactical consideration in regards to defending your gates or destroying enemy gates.

The enemy's gate is down!