Author Topic: can i delete a spoiler race in SM mode?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
can i delete a spoiler race in SM mode?
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
I think I've had all the fun there is to be had with the Swarm and now I want them out of my universe.  Is there any way to one-click and vaporize them?  I understand there's a checkbox you can uncheck to prevent more of them from spawning, but that doesn't appear to annihilate the ones that already exist in your game.  So... what do I do if I want to be rid of them?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: can i delete a spoiler race in SM mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:08 AM »
Not with SM mode in an existing game.  It might be possible with Designer mode, but I have not tried it myself.  The Spoiler Races have some idiosyncrasies that may make this a bad idea.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
You need to go into designer mode and delete their ships as well.

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
But what you can do with SM-mode is to design a ship specialized for fighting this spoiler.
For example a ship with only paper armour and additional systems to increase the internal HTK (extremely armoured magazines) and redundant fire controls, power plants sensors, etc.. This way it can survive their meson fire a rather long time. Ships with for example medium tech plasma carronades or lasers can destroy the swarm FACs quite fast. Maybe add powerfull engines for it also has speed to pursue them, should they flee(I don't know if the AI would do so.)
You then create the fleet via SM, wipe away the enemies and delete the remaining fleet afterwards.
What I don't know if there's a way to get rid of wrecks and techs you gave yourself.
Of course this is no one-click. It takes some minutes.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »
My problem is not that they're a threat, it's that I'm sick of fighting them.  It takes hours to micromanage the targeting of 100+ FACs, especially the mopping up of the crippled ones, and there's no challenge since I've proven my ships can kill a matriarch and her entourage.  I'd rather spend my time on precursors and NPRs where there's the possibility of a surprise and the possibility of gaining something.

I think I've cleaned up the last of them in my current game, though, so I'll just leave the box unchecked in my future games.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:48 AM »
Have you tried missile busses carrying masses of missiles that have their own active sensors?  I haven't run into this situation yet, but I'd think that would work...

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
Have you tried missile busses carrying masses of missiles that have their own active sensors?  I haven't run into this situation yet, but I'd think that would work...
I would think that the missiles would hit their original targets, remaining missiles might retarget and hit some more, but this would not repeat infinitely because the missiles move so fast, they'd soon move beyond the targets so far that the enemy would be out of sensor range.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
spend a little time spreading out the waves ;)

It's what I do with my excessive #s of box launchers, so I don't run out of ammo before the first salvo impacts.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
Turning off Star Swarm in the game info checkbox will halt generation of Star Swarms in new systems.